Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2013/14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Oooooh, the Ice could almost touch Iceland!!!  Eagerly awaiting tonight's IMS update.

HI Ibth, if the ice extends all the way across from Greenland to Iceland...would this be sone sort of record, when was the last time this happened.thanks in advance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Belarus and a bit of Ukraine getting a good covering. More or less the first significant snow into Eastern Europe.

Posted Image

Still a couple of pixels away on the bridge.Posted Image

Interesting the differences with this which had Scandi covered:

ftp://140.90.213.161/autosnow/4kmNH/multisensor_4km_nh_snow_ice_latlon_2013329.png

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

The ski slopes of Poland have their first covering of the winter.

post-5386-0-73922900-1385457640_thumb.pn

post-5386-0-73931100-1385457657_thumb.pn

Plenty of live streaming cams.

http://oognet.pl/content/details/1141

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Belarus and a bit of Ukraine getting a good covering. More or less the first significant snow into Eastern Europe.

Posted Image

Still a couple of pixels away on the bridge.Posted Image

Interesting the differences with this which had Scandi covered:

ftp://140.90.213.161/autosnow/4kmNH/multisensor_4km_nh_snow_ice_latlon_2013329.png

I suspect the differences exist due to the timing of when the satellite captured the image, i.e. at differing times of day. Nonetheless, good to see and I expect some decent progress over this coming week into early December. At this stage, I wouldn't rule out a Euro High moving on from then, I sincerely hope I'm wrong and with a bit of luck, that won't happen.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

HI Ibth, if the ice extends all the way across from Greenland to Iceland...would this be sone sort of record, when was the last time this happened.thanks in advance

Last time? I keep forgetting but it was a long time ago. So yes, potentially a record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Latest November sea ice extent based on the NSIDC data

Posted Image

We've had a very good rebound from the slow start, but still not enough to raise this year above the 6th lowest on record.

Posted

There is always a lull in ice growth at the start of Nov. Looking at the NISDC data ovet 12 months.(on phone and cant post chart) You can see the last few years have all followed a similar pattern before resuming ice growth.

Edited by IBringTheHammer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

There is always a lull in ice growth at the start of Nov. Looking at the NISDC data ovet 12 months.(on phone and cant post chart) You can see the last few years have all followed a similar pattern before resuming ice growth.

The odd year has shown a large slow down in early November but the growth from the 1st to the 8th is still 61k/day on average (79-11), but the growth this year from the 1st to the 8th was the smallest on record at 3.3k/day.

Posted Image

Stretching it out to the 1st to 13th, it was still second lowest on record. So I don't think it was following any normal pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I wonder who done this?

Posted Image

I don't know but they can keep doing it. Posted Image the Muscovites have SNOW as predicted, furthermore it's now -6c there.

http://www.earthcam.com/world/russia/Moscow/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I don't know but they can keep doing it. Posted Image the Muscovites have SNOW as predicted, furthermore it's now -6c there.

http://www.earthcam.com/world/russia/Moscow/

Strange again that Southern Scandi is not covered there, but is here:

ftp://140.90.213.161/autosnow/4kmNH/multisensor_4km_nh_snow_ice_latlon_2013330.png

However, I see that Oxford also appears to be covered in a pixel of snow.Posted Image

Edited by Yarmy

Posted

Hope I'm not teaching Grandma to suck eggs, but this link gives a pretty good idea of what's happening on our side of the Arctic:

http://www.met.no/English/Ocean_and_Ice/

Nice link Jimmy, Thanks.

Posted

Posted Image

I'm not sure if the light blue on the image correlates to the dark blue on the key or the grey?

I think they should have a light blue addition for 0.01/10 to 0.5/10 or something along those lines. Good stuff.

• Like 1

Posted

Latest IMS image showing snow getting into Turkey, Greece and a few other southern European areas.

Posted Image

And the ice pixels are tantalizing close to the Icelandic islands.

Edited by IBringTheHammer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Posted Image

I'm not sure if the light blue on the image correlates to the dark blue on the key or the grey?

I think they should have a light blue addition for 0.01/10 to 0.5/10 or something along those lines. Good stuff.

No, the ranges in the key are continuous, from 0/10 to 10/10. The blue may be a slightly different shade, but it's still the blue - i.e. 'open water - 0/10 to 1/10', the lowest category with any ice present at all.

It obviously couldn't be the grey, which is 'fast ice', and is seen in the fjords - you can't have a ring of 'fast ice' on the seaward side side of a variable density ice-pack, mate...'fast ice' is by definition fixed 'fast' to a landmass (or sometimes the bottom in shallow water)!

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for clearing that up. Looking at the NISDC maps(concentration map more so), there is a hint of some sea ice around the northern Icelandic isles. Just a small amount mind you, so conditions must be ideal for ice formation and perhaps more favorable than previous years for an ice bridge forming.

The maps can be found in the link I posted above.  

Posted

Latest IMS image showing snow getting into Turkey, Greece and a few other southern European areas.

Posted Image

And the ice pixels are tantalizing close to the Icelandic islands.

Barely any pixels in Greece or Turkey! It's mainly Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia.

Sorry for the geography lesson but I couldn't resist.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Kind of weird that these places in Romania, Bulgaria and Serbia are getting their first proper snow before places like Helsinki, Stockholm, Oslo and Tallinn. Been mild in southern Scandi and the Baltic states.

Edited by cheese

Posted

No, the ranges in the key are continuous, from 0/10 to 10/10. The blue may be a slightly different shade, but it's still the blue - i.e. 'open water - 0/10 to 1/10', the lowest category with any ice present at all.

It obviously couldn't be the grey, which is 'fast ice', and is seen in the fjords - you can't have a ring of 'fast ice' on the seaward side side of a variable density ice-pack, mate...'fast ice' is by definition fixed 'fast' to a landmass (or sometimes the bottom in shallow water)!

Kind of like "fast women" and "fast cars" then. Posted Image  Thanks, good to see though. I wonder what the initial NW'rly will bring into Scotland for example, given the state of the ice, ice baby.Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather