Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2013/14

Posted

Almost - except there is no positive anomaly in southern Scandi this year - been pretty mild there.

Well that looks like its abov to change!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Almost - except there is no positive anomaly in southern Scandi this year - been pretty mild there.

Well that looks like its abov to change!.

wish it would http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/scand?over=none&symbols=snow&type=snow.next3days

Because it was a real surprise to see the chart so closely matching 2010 apart from that.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/77585-snow-and-ice-in-the-northern-hemisphere-201314/page-42#entry2834124

2010 took a very large Negative like the one we have now  and before long turned it to this http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/chart_daily.php?ui_year=2010&ui_day=331&ui_set=2

So its a really big ask of this season but is it man enough (not scientific I know) to match up in two weeks time. I guess it will do its own thing. 

Posted

The negative comment you refer to has confused me though, are you saying there should be more snow in Siberia for example? Posted Image  Even if that is the case, we are in an amazing position for sure. Posted Image

Posted Image151113 Northern Hemipshere snow and ice cover.png

Can we get the baby to mature from its nappies, here's hoping so. Posted Image

Was just adding to the strange match list, what it does with it next will be the interesting bit. will it stay in nappies!

Posted

Like I said a couple of weeks ago "staring down the barrel".

I for one will keep staring down that barrel till February if needed! there is bound to be interesting extreme weather to follow at some stage and there is such a buzz on the forums here when it happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

I was noticing on the bbc info 5 day world cities forecast that Canada is much colder recently..

Calgary and Toronto and/or somewhere else are having mex temp of -3c to -12c or so this coming week. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters

indirect I know, but ash emissions at 37,000 ft for Mt  Sinabung Indonesia.  Several volcaoes seem ready to go in that region. A big eruption COULD be in the offing and that would be a bonus for next winter.  Worth keeping an eye on.

Posted

I was noticing on the bbc info 5 day world cities forecast that Canada is much colder recently..

Calgary and Toronto and/or somewhere else are having mex temp of -3c to -12c or so this coming week. Posted Image

http://www.yr.no/sted/Canada/Alberta/Calgary/time_for_time_detaljert.html bit nippy! -14max tuesday the 24 hours of snow then finishes.....and it gets colder!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I'm hoping that the snow cover is going to get a little further in the next couple of weeks.  Further into Russia and western Europe with more snowfall into Scandinavia and cooling the Northern hemisphere even more giving the UK a better chance of cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Haven't posted in here for a few days as I've been model watching.  Anyway, on the IMS, it's definitely noticeable that the sea ice on the southern tip of Greenland is reaching towards Iceland.

Posted Image

There is probably still a decent distance between the two, but with the way it is just, now, it's not beyond reasonable that the Ice could reach Iceland this winter...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Haven't posted in here for a few days as I've been model watching.  Anyway, on the IMS, it's definitely noticeable that the sea ice on the southern tip of Greenland is reaching towards Iceland.

Posted Image

There is probably still a decent distance between the two, but with the way it is just, now, it's not beyond reasonable that the Ice could reach Iceland this winter...

And the Northwesterly flow actually brought some of the white stuff for a lucky few, rarely would that be the case that a NW flow so early in the season would bring such precipitation. Some further snowfall (largely at elevation and unlikely to settle) elsewhere tomorrow before an inevitable rise in pressure is how I view things at this stage.

Posted

Posted Image

hope it does, it does look closer than any other chart I've seen.post-15601-0-53141600-1384906664_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

It comes relatively close every year, but I don't think there's been a bridge for over 40 years.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

It comes relatively close every year, but I don't think there's been a bridge for over 40 years.

Is there an archive of these images? so we can make a comparison between now and last year etc?

Posted

Is there an archive of these images? so we can make a comparison between now and last year etc?

change the year in the links 1999 though to 2013 http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_gif/ARCHIVE/EuAsia/1999/ to 2013

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_gif/ARCHIVE/NHem/1997/ http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_gif/ARCHIVE/USA/1998/ http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_gif/ARCHIVE/AK/1998/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I think 1976 was the last ice bridge

This suggest 1969 although wether you could walk it is another thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland

Would be good though, just think of the GW wind ups you could do.

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

I think 1976 was the last ice bridge

This suggest 1969 although wether you could walk it is another thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland

Would be good though, just think of the GW wind ups you could do.

If it did bridge, the Express would have a field day lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Nothing exceptionally cold out East just yet but plenty of snow in the forecast for Moscow over the coming 10 days. Don't take the Temperature predictions literally because it will get progressively colder over there as the snow settles.

Moscow, Russia Weather

10-Day Forecast

Updated: last updated about 1+ hour ago

Today 21. Nov
Posted Image

3°CHigh

2° COvernight Low

PM Rain / Snow Showers

Chance of Rain 40% Wind SE at 2 mph
Humidity 91% UV index 0 - Low Snowfall 0 cm   Sunrise 08:17 Sunset 16:13 Moonrise 19:35 Moonset 11:07 Moon Phase Waning Gibbous

Rain/snow showers in the afternoon. High 3C. Winds light and variable. Chance of precip 40%.

Tomorrow 22. Nov
Posted Image

3°High

2° Overnight Low

Rain / Snow Showers

Chance of Rain 40% Wind ESE at 2 mph
Humidity 92% UV index 0 - Low Snowfall 0 cm   Sunrise 08:19 Sunset 16:12 Moonrise 20:37 Moonset 11:40 Moon Phase Waning Gibbous

Rain and snow showers. High 3C. Winds light and variable. Chance of precip 40%.

Sat 23. Nov
Posted Image

4°High

2° Overnight Low

Few Showers

Chance of Rain 30% Wind Calm
Humidity 92% UV index 0 - Low Snowfall 0 cm   Sunrise 08:20 Sunset 16:11 Moonrise 21:42 Moonset 12:07 Moon Phase Waning Gibbous

Occasional showers possible. Highs 3 to 5C and lows 1 to 3C.

Sun 24. Nov
Posted Image

3°High

2° Overnight Low

Rain / Snow Showers

Chance of Rain 40% Wind SE at 2 mph
Humidity 91% UV index 0 - Low Snowfall 0 cm   Sunrise 08:22 Sunset 16:09 Moonrise 22:48 Moonset 12:30 Moon Phase Waning Gibbous

Mix of rain and snow showers. Highs 2 to 4C and lows 1 to 3C.

Mon 25. Nov
Posted Image

3°High

-2° Overnight Low

Showers

Chance of Rain 60% Wind ENE at 3 mph
Humidity 89% UV index 0 - Low Snowfall 0 cm   Sunrise 08:24 Sunset 16:08 Moonrise 23:56 Moonset 12:51 Moon Phase Waning Gibbous

Chance of showers. Highs 2 to 4C and lows -1 to -3C.

Tue 26. Nov
Posted Image

-1°High

-3° Overnight Low

Mostly Cloudy

Chance of Rain 20% Wind N at 5 mph
Humidity 82% UV index 0 - Low Snowfall 0 cm   Sunrise 08:26 Sunset 16:07 Moonset 13:10 Moon Phase Last Quarter

More clouds than sun. Highs 0 to -2C and lows -2 to -4C.

Wed 27. Nov
Posted Image

-1°High

-3° Overnight Low

Scattered Snow Showers

Chance of Rain 40% Wind NNE at 5 mph
Humidity 73% UV index 0 - Low Snowfall 0 cm   Sunrise 08:28 Sunset 16:06 Moonrise 01:06 Moonset 13:29 Moon Phase Waning Crescent

Occasional snow showers. Highs 0 to -2C and lows -2 to -4C.

Thu 28. Nov
Posted Image

-2°High

-3° Overnight Low

Scattered Snow Showers

Chance of Rain 30% Wind N at 2 mph
Humidity 85% UV index 0 - Low Snowfall 0 cm   Sunrise 08:30 Sunset 16:05 Moonrise 02:18 Moonset 13:49 Moon Phase Waning Crescent

Scattered snow showers. Highs -1 to -3C and lows -2 to -4C.

Fri 29. Nov
Posted Image

0°High

-2° Overnight Low

Snow Shower

Chance of Rain 30% Wind NNW at 2 mph
Humidity 98% UV index 0 - Low Snowfall 0 cm   Sunrise 08:31 Sunset 16:04 Moonrise 03:34 Moonset 14:11 Moon Phase Waning Crescent

Snow showers. Highs 1 to -1C and lows -1 to -3C.

Sat 30. Nov
Posted Image

1°High

-3° Overnight Low

Snow Shower

Chance of Rain 30% Wind NW at 3 mph
Humidity 92% UV index 0 - Low Snowfall 0 cm   Sunrise 08:33 Sunset 16:03 Moonrise 04:51 Moonset 14:37 Moon Phase Waning Crescent

Snow showers possible. Highs 0 to 2C and lows -2 to -4C.

As for us, settled and largely dry after today, most probably until at least the end of November. Must keep our eyes on developing wintry synoptics out to our Northeast and East in the coming days as things should get lot more wintry over there. Posted Image 

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

The Northern Hemisphere view is looking better by the day too. Posted Image

post-7183-0-50875700-1385025641_thumb.pn

Here's last 19th November for a direct comparison.

post-7183-0-80804900-1385025724_thumb.pn

By my reckoning there is a better build up of ice due NE of the UK this time around over the Barents Sea I.e. East of Finland and the Swiss and Austrian sections of the Alps have a better covering than last season.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1