Posted Image

yesterday

Posted Image

quite big positive anomalies-

Posted Image

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Looks more like early October?

How will we achieve our rapid October snow build up if we have already a high values in September?

Posted

How will we achieve our rapid October snow build up if we have already a high values in September?

i'm not sure it matters. we could still get rapid build up in october but with a good head start. bearing in mind we are nearing the end of september anyway

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Could be a sign of an early winter, M83...

• Like 3

Posted

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Cohen refers to october.

But I presume that the physical mechanism will work anyhow (if it continous to snow in october), altough it's not october. So it ain't that important (in my opinion) the SAI will be not a high (steep) as long as there is enough snowcover. This might be a good start.

post-10577-0-75764100-1379946321_thumb.g

Edited by sebastiaan1973
  • Like 6

Posted

But I presume that the physical mechanism will work anyhow (if it continous to snow in october), altough it's not october. So it ain't that important (in my opinion) the SAI will be not a high (steep) as long as there is enough snowcover. This might be a good start.

i think some people are possibly reading too much into the october thing. cohen specifies october as it is usually the month that the snow cover begins to advance. its not necessarily the speed of advance during october, as such, more important is the amount on the ground (or area covered) by the end of the month (or thereabouts), as this is what aids diabatic cooling. therefore, any snow cover in september would be an advantage

basically an early start to the snow doesn't spoil things, it helps!

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!! Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just what my analogues were going for... enjoy November, then have a long wait until the fun starts again in February...

Nowt like a swift kick in the analogues, IF...Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Cheers for replies I was almost worried early snow could turn it into a pants up affair Posted Image Now we wouldn't want that... Posted Image

Lets hope we see it advancing towards the UK at record pace this year and then stay for a few months Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Just what my analogues were going for... enjoy November, then have a long wait until the fun starts again in February...

Are your analogues showing low pressure to our east and strong heights to the north and north west by any chance?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Here's what early October  (end of first week) looks like, often  a lot more snow cover compared to today so its pretty normal at this time. (room for improvement) Posted Image

Posted Image  post-15601-0-27052000-1379962749_thumb.ghttp://gickr.com/results3/anim_b78621b6-ca3b-a394-25c7-65cac75561d0.gif

point barrow looking fab and proper wintery earlier today, the temps there have dived recently post-15601-0-02306000-1379965230_thumb.j

Edited by LincolnSnowstorm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I've not read the paper but i do recall somebody saying that it mentioned longitudinal extent being an important factor so presumably we want snow as close to Europe as possible by months end.

Posted

Snow cover is far more important to our winters rather than the ice cover.

Get ready for the ride of you lives this winter guys :-D

• Like 5

Posted

I've not read the paper but i do recall somebody saying that it mentioned longitudinal extent being an important factor so presumably we want snow as close to Europe as possible by months end.

24 October 2010 showing the way it should be done....as much as possible as close as possible.  post-15601-0-78934300-1379968965_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

24 October 2010 showing the way it should be done....as much as possible as close as possible.  Posted ImageUntitled.png

29th Oct. 2008 is my marker .. more snow here than at anytime last winter ! I note in my diary I called it 'my polar low' .. having forecast snow that October and declared the 'end of global warming ' a fortnight earlier. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Some good snow gains and we are doing nicely as we move closer to winter. Fingers crossed it continues!

Edited by Mark Neal.

Posted

Here's what early October  (end of first week) looks like, often  a lot more snow cover compared to today so its pretty normal at this time. (room for improvement) Posted Image

Posted Image  Posted Imagecursnow_asiaeurope (1).gifhttp://gickr.com/results3/anim_b78621b6-ca3b-a394-25c7-65cac75561d0.gif

point barrow looking fab and proper wintery earlier today, the temps there have dived recently Posted Image09_45_46_761_ABCam_20130923_0938.jpg

You compare 22 nd of october with 7& 8 october, that's a difference of 2 weeks. That's a lot in this situation. When you take a look at the daily departure chart, you'll notice big blue areas. Indicating a positive anomaly. This is the situation of yesterday.

post-10577-0-84518400-1380004801_thumb.p

Edited by sebastiaan1973

Posted

You compare 22 nd of october with 7& 8 october, that's a difference of 2 weeks. That's a lot in this situation. When you take a look at the daily departure chart, you'll notice big blue areas. Indicating a positive anomaly. This is the situation of yesterday.

my reply was to put a picture on the comment 'it looks like early October' So you sound like you would agree with me that  it looks good but not that good.

Posted

29th Oct. 2008 is my marker .. more snow here than at anytime last winter ! I note in my diary I called it 'my polar low' .. having forecast snow that October and declared the 'end of global warming ' a fortnight earlier. 

I see what you mean post-15601-0-80893300-1380007710_thumb.g then later on post-15601-0-32594500-1380007855_thumb.g

• Like 1

Posted

More signs of the Autumn arriving white paint gets spilt more in cold weather. Posted Image post-15601-0-01524100-1380008980_thumb.jpost-15601-0-08881700-1380008989_thumb.j

http://weatherspark.com/averages/33843/Norilsk-Taymyr-Autonomous-Okrug-Russian-Federation

Edited by LincolnSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

http://longyearbyen.livecam360.com/flash/main.php

looks like Svalbard has had a bit of the white stuff!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

The latest value: 5,019,336 km2 (September 23, 2013) 

http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

Sea Ice making steady and significant gains for the time of year.

• Like 1