Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2013/14

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Starting to ''give it large'' over the pond, and this side looking pretty. 

Posted Imagecursnow_usa.gifPosted ImageUntitled.png

That American chart is one of the best examples of lake effect snow that you could ever see.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

That American chart is one of the best examples of lake effect snow that you could ever see.

not really the snow line is as much as 200 miles inland with nothing around Hudson Bay itself...so does not look like a lake effect snow event at all...probably a slow moving or dissipating cold front with cold undercutting from the north.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hi IBTH,

I see you're lurking so I hope you don't mind, I've copied your link across from the other thread.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78042-eurasian-snow-advance-and-the-uk-west-europe-winter/?p=2814274

Have a good read guys n gals as it's really informative even if I can't grasp all of what is mentioned.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Hi IBTH,

I see you're lurking so I hope you don't mind, I've copied your link across from the other thread.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78042-eurasian-snow-advance-and-the-uk-west-europe-winter/?p=2814274

Have a good read guys n gals as it's really informative even if I can't grasp all of what is mentioned.

I was going to copy a link in, but I see you beat me to it.  I was absorbed in watching Star Wars lol....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

not really the snow line is as much as 200 miles inland with nothing around Hudson Bay itself...so does not look like a lake effect snow event at all...probably a slow moving or dissipating cold front with cold undercutting from the north.

No, it is definitely lake effect snow which has been affecting places like New York and Michigan. Doesn't really matter if there is no snow around the Hudson Bay.

• Like 3

Posted

Given the pattern of the cover i'd have thought that would simply be a result of coastal warming.

Posted

No, it is definitely lake effect snow which has been affecting places like New York and Michigan. Doesn't really matter if there is no snow around the Hudson Bay.

Indeed, I'd assumed SB was talking about what looked like lake effect snow in NE Ohio, NW Pennsylvania, parts of Ontario and Michigan coming from a north-westerly - those wee 'splodges' are actually across fairly large areas once you consider how big the map is. The gap between Hudson Bay and the snowline is enormous.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters

Hi guys, new member here. Looking good for snow this year when looking at all the different forces coming into play that will be good to discuss in future posts.  For now, does anyone think that record amounts of Noctilucent clouds in 2013 helped keep the Arctic cooler thus preserving more sea ice and giving us good start to the winter?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Hi guys, new member here. Looking good for snow this year when looking at all the different forces coming into play that will be good to discuss in future posts.  For now, does anyone think that record amounts of Noctilucent clouds in 2013 helped keep the Arctic cooler thus preserving more sea ice and giving us good start to the winter?

Welcome to the forum Blozzel.

I think the mainly positive Arctic Oscillation during the summer helped to increased the cloud cover and and hold the cold over the Arctic. It's hard to say what impact the noctulucent clouds hard, but an interesting question. While we have seen a big increase in sea ice extent on last year, it was still the 6th lowest extent on record and is still currently the 6th lowest for the time of year, so similar to years such as 2006 and 2008.

Whether or not that will give us a good start to the winter remains to be seen. We can hope though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Posted Image

Lower latitude snow cover anomaly is growing but some way behind 2012 .. western N America contributing the major lack  .. but probably the least important region with regard to outcomes in our locale as winter progresses ...

• Like 2

Posted

Welcome to the forum Blozzel.

I think the mainly positive Arctic Oscillation during the summer helped to increased the cloud cover and and hold the cold over the Arctic. It's hard to say what impact the noctulucent clouds hard, but an interesting question. While we have seen a big increase in sea ice extent on last year, it was still the 6th lowest extent on record and is still currently the 6th lowest for the time of year, so similar to years such as 2006 and 2008.

Whether or not that will give us a good start to the winter remains to be seen. We can hope though!

Thanks for the Reply BFTV.   Good what you said about the PAO.  Still wonder how much light energy noctilucent clouds can reflect back into space especially as suns rays strike Arctic skies at a more oblique angle.   I am convinced the level of Solar activity is what drives all these  other factors.  We are a  the peak of a very weak cycle and may be entering a grand minima. the evidence for low Solar activity and the link to global cooling with bitter winters seems to grow stronger each year. I think 2012 was a blip and that the Arctic has alreafy turned the corner and will be in much better shape five years from now.

Posted

Thanks for the Reply BFTV.   Good what you said about the PAO.  Still wonder how much light energy noctilucent clouds can reflect back into space especially as suns rays strike Arctic skies at a more oblique angle.   I am convinced the level of Solar activity is what drives all these  other factors.  We are a  the peak of a very weak cycle and may be entering a grand minima. the evidence for low Solar activity and the link to global cooling with bitter winters seems to grow stronger each year. I think 2012 was a blip and that the Arctic has alreafy turned the corner and will be in much better shape five years from now.

Given that the low solar activity summers of 2007 to 2012 were dominated with -ve AO and NAO months (which warms the Arctic), if lower solar activity does cause these -ve AO and NAO patterns, a grand minima would not be a very good thing for the sea ice.

Still, however doubtful I may be, I do hope you're right and that we turned the corner toward long term recovery avenue this year!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

For those who like the pictures not the chat its coming our way Posted Image

post-7914-0-50943100-1382898676_thumb.gi

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 5

Posted

Quite a large jump since I looked three days ago. Considerably more snow in Mongolia and snow in Western Russia has migrated south and towards us. Again not very much going on in North America. 

Posted

For those who like the pictures not the chat its coming our way Posted Image

Lots of Canada snowless...interesting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

What a difference a week makes; yesterday vs Sunday 20th October.  The ice growth appears impressive!

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Good snow gains in mid western areas of USA.  Cold temps consolidating over  Hudson and Newfoundland areas. 

• Like 1

Posted

In the last 2 weeks, 10 days have had sea ice growth below the 2002-2012 average, with just 4 above (IJIS). Still no risk of dropping below 6th lowest before months end or early November.

The SSMIS instrument used by the NSIDC and many others is experiencing problems, which is limiting the amount of sea ice data available too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Well the Asian snowcover growth is there, so one part of puzzle looks in place

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Of course the growth has dropped, it grew fast early.

The overall levels are still way up.

• Like 1