Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2013/14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

until its above the 2000 average I think.

remarkable ice recovery this year.

Well, looking at the numbers, that would require a jump of 432k, a record by far for October.

If we maintain the average daily increase of the last 5 days (~+130k/day), we'll reach the 2000s average in 2 weeks.

It's been a strong increase so far though, I agree with that. The 3rd largest increase, from October 1st to 11th, since 2002

• Like 4

Posted

I would not class 2 inches as good

You have to remember it was back in those days!  The winters of the mid 80's, 90/91 and 95/96 were a distant memory then.....

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Yesterdays increase was 144K so yea, 432K might be a tad optimistic lol. 200K might not be though. Posted Image

We've now leaped above 2006. In fact, the only years ahead of us are .. 2004 and before.

Edited by IBringTheHammer

Posted

Most severe start of winter in Germany for 200yrs Half on meter of snow fell south of Munich.

http://rtl-now.rtl.de/rtl-nachtjournal/rtl-nachtjournal.php?film_id=129939&player=1&season=0.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Most severe start of winter in Germany for 200yrs Half on meter of snow fell south of Munich.

http://rtl-now.rtl.de/rtl-nachtjournal/rtl-nachtjournal.php?film_id=129939&player=1&season=0.

For a quick look after the cheesy adverts the snow report runs from  5 mins 10secs to 7 mins 10secs

Posted

I see your problem http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/St_Austell/

I hope theres no warm spell coming in.

The Netweather forum will have to do a whip round to send you to the gulag Posted Image http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Norilsk/forecasts/latest

Edited by LincolnSnowstorm
  • Like 1

Posted

Good news No Mild Spell For Most of europe Which should of melted some ice/snow off but models changed and looks like southern uk is only going to mild (i hope)

Cold-Very cold for Eastern Europe,Eastern Germany,Norway,Sweden,finland,russia should be cold for snow.For now.

Posted

But again that ain't no benefit to us because most of the time the cold air stays in Central and Eastern Europe. The only cold weather that suits us is the North Westerly or Northerly air from Greenland. 

Posted

Really? Ill have to look that up to see what current temps are.

Nope current forecasts for 13c highs next week in Eastern Germany which is warmer than me. The closest cold to me this week will be in the shetlands where they will receive -7c uppers. 

Edited by smithyweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Germany looks to warm for snow.

Posted Image

Posted

Yes Scandinavia Posted Image

It would be good to have Scandinavia 'sorted' in the next couple of weeks e.g post-15601-0-62866800-1381616780_thumb.g

My thinking as always 'As much as possible as close as possible' does no harm.

Edited by LincolnSnowstorm
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

For sure England can easily rival and surpass Scotland in terms of snow, for instance the North York Moors and Pennines can be the snowiest parts of the UK with an easterly flow, in fact the official deepest level snow ever recorded in the UK in a inhabited place was in Teesdale, England during the very snowy Winter of 1946-47 with 211cm of snow on the ground!! god knows what the drifts were like. Scotland does better than England in a northerly.

"Easily" is perhaps a bit strong, but it does of course happen, though it is not the norm - on average it is a lot more common for sustained snowfall in Scotland. Snowfall is a lot more extensive in the Scottish Highlands than any other area of the UK and the area certainly experiences the most extreme instances of snowfall on average. Hence the ability for the Highlands to sustain a number of ski centres compared with the north of England.

Posted Image

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Germany looks to warm for snow.

Posted Image

Brrrrrr, feeling that cold creeping over from the Massif Central this morning here in SW France, it was only 4 degrees when we stuck ours noses outside this morning, we are only about 80 kilometers from the coast, but now the sun is getting to work before the rain returns later today.  Not sure about that 14.2 on the coast, but guess the Bay of Biscay is still pretty warm.

FC

Posted

latest-

Posted Image

yesterday-

Posted Image

this date last year-

Posted Image

thats a massive difference, especially the sea ice!!

we're also well ahead of 2010!

Posted Image

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

latest-

Posted Image

yesterday-

Posted Image

this date last year-

Posted Image

thats a massive difference, especially the sea ice!!

we're also well ahead of 2010!

Posted Image

Thanks Bobbydog, that should make us all realise how surprisingly well we are doing so far. I still maintain that the end of the next week could be worth watching for the first snowfalls, at least at elevation up the North. We shouldn't get too elated at this stage but as the recent post by Steve Murr in the MOD thread stated, we are in an unusual NH climatic profile right now, for the time of year. Baby steps indeed.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

Thanks Bobbydog, that should make us all realise how surprisingly well we are doing so far. I still maintain that the end of the next week could be worth watching for the first snowfalls, at least at elevation up the North. We shouldn't get too elated at this stage but as the recent post by Steve Murr in the MOD thread stated, we are in an unusual NH climatic profile right now, for the time of year. Baby steps indeed.

we're doing very well. in fact, if you look through the archives for this date-  http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/gif_archive.html  we're doing better than any of the last 5 years

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

we're doing very well. in fact, if you look through the archives for this date-  http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/gif_archive.html  we're doing better than any of the last 5 years

Nice one, never knew that link existed. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

The latest value: 6,796,978 km2 (October 12, 2013)

Posted Image

We are currently ahead on Ice extent compared with the last 7 years.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

The latest value: 6,796,978 km2 

(October 12, 2013)

Posted Image

But I thought low sea ice is contributing to colder winters for the UK, so if we want a cold winter here in the UK we would want to see less ice

Edited by John Badrick