Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2013/14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

I love it when nature does the ramping for us.

Must not get hopes up.

Must not get hopes up.

Must not get hopes up.

Must not get hopes up.

Must not get hopes up.

Must not get hopes up.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

A tad chilly in the Shetlands?

Oh the humanity! Kilt-wearing Shetlanders will be feeling the need for undergarments.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Just for a giggle, here's my Xmas forecast. .... Posted Image

Posted Imagefun.JPG

That is fantastic, but it would be even better with a small green blob right over the Triangle of Doom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Haven't had the ijis data in yet but the latest IMS images are pretty nice to look at.

Tue 8th Oct

post-15733-0-67098000-1381353087_thumb.g

Wed 9th Oct

post-15733-0-32283800-1381353092_thumb.g

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Haven't had the ijis data in yet but the latest IMS images are pretty nice to look at.

Tue 8th Oct

Posted Imageprvsnow_asiaeurope.gif

Wed 9th Oct

Posted Imagecursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Ice up 114k nice Posted Image  Snow laying it on thick also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

The latest value: 6,414,201 km2 (October 9, 2013)

Posted Image

http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

Yet more massive gains!!! I think what I'm impressed with the most is the fact that, if you start off from a very low number (i.e 2012), big gains are easier to come by simply because you have more open ocean freezing at the same rate. When you have a higher starting point, (2013), the gains would (should) be less dramatic, simply by virtue of the fact that more of the ocean is already frozen compared with last year.

Yet, the red line (2013) is going off on one lol.... Posted Image

Edited by IBringTheHammer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

It is a much more interesting picture than this time last year, I vividly remember people (myself included) trying to tie links between 2010 and 2012 but in reality forcing paterns that did not exist.

This year however the graphs clearly show we are ahead of 2010, of course the snow and ice is a small part of a very big picture but if things continue the potential for the land in Scandi getting very cold is high.

Posted

It is a much more interesting picture than this time last year, I vividly remember people (myself included) trying to tie links between 2010 and 2012 but in reality forcing paterns that did not exist.

This year however the graphs clearly show we are ahead of 2010, of course the snow and ice is a small part of a very big picture but if things continue the potential for the land in Scandi getting very cold is high.

if only seeing conditions looking better than when we were at this stage in 2010, would mean we would see a even better cold and snowy spell come this winter :)

Have to say, we continue to see gains on both ice and snow, amazing really can't remember a start like this since i have been watching the ongoing early advancement of snowcover across siberia and Eurasia! Top Stuff! Posted Image

Posted

Darn it Brian Gaze New buzz could stop snow/ice in its tracks and maybe push it back Posted Image

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/latest.aspx

He was only saying a few days ago how the snow cover is likely to continue, i guess he will backtrack as well as what the weather models have been done over coming days!

Posted

He was only saying a few days ago how the snow cover is likely to continue, i guess he will backtrack as well as what the weather models have been done over coming days!

Your might be right but i am not sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

To be fair to Brian, he can only report on what the models are actually saying? He's not a clairvoyant...Posted Image 

Posted

Darn it Brian Gaze New buzz could stop snow/ice in its tracks and maybe push it back Posted Image

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/latest.aspx

Unfortunately that is a potential fly in the ointment.  However, I would have thought it would have to take a hell of a lot of mild air to push the snow/ice back substantially.  Still not what we want to see though.

Posted

Unfortunately that is a potential fly in the ointment.  However, I would have thought it would have to take a hell of a lot of mild air to push the snow/ice back substantially.  Still not what we want to see though.

The warm air IF it happens will/should stop the snow in its tracks so lets see,models can be wrong and change day to day.

Posted

Not very likely; look where the mild uppers reach; lots of changing in NWP as well, we're well above so I think it is a case of just waiting and calming down.

Just wait and see and what's NWP?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Just wait and see and what's NWP?

It stands for Numerical Weather Prediction, basically computer generated.Also for some of you that are worried about the warm air moving into Europe, Warm air always has a problem pushing cooler more dense air out of the way, as happens with some of our own cold spells. Edited by Thunderman1981