Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2013/14

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Excellent!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A few nuggets of green there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Here we go again Posted Image  Love this thread.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Pixels in Kamchatka. It's a long way West to go but it will get there...

Winter is now on its way.

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

To my naked eye, Alps, Scandinavian Mtns, Himalayas, Tian Shan, Altai Mtns, Kamchatka, Svalbard, Novaya Zemlya, Franz Josef Land, Icelandic Mtns, far north of Siberia, Greenland, Baffin Island, parts of upland Canada (Coast Mtns in particular), Alaska and Ellesmere Island currently have the white pixels, I'd probably expect some stop-start advances and declines until early September, but it often can speed up at anytime.

Notable also that 2013 ice extent is generally higher, more spread out and less concentrated than the awful 2012, but the E Greenland coast is not bordered by ice, transferal of that towards Siberia and NW Canada- possibly a major factor in the upcoming Autumn...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

excelent and so the jerney starts here count down to w2013-2014, all the highs and lows and sometimes toys get thrown across rooms when easterlys fale. Enjoy the ride.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Currently much closer to average than this time last year

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

post-12276-0-26995400-1376587340_thumb.g

Some ice retreat (especially around NE Greenland and Baffin Island) and some snow melt (around Kamchatka), as well as a big snowfall in Tajikistan/northern Afghanistan around the Pamir Mtns.

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted

Good to see this thread back, looking forward to the first big blobs appearing in siberia that slowly spread westwards... also thanks for the updaters last year, without there commitment this thread wouldnt exist!

Posted

Brilliant! I've loved this thread over the last couple of years!!! so glad its back! happy snow and ice tracking everyone Posted Image

Posted

It's not light at 10pm anymore, some Siberian town is harvesting, and the Daily Star has their top weather correspondents at the fore for the biggest September snow scare ever to grind Britain to a halt, and on an internet forum, a bunch of nutjob enthusiasts are tracking white pixels spread westwards on a map.

Posted Imagecursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Life's good.

Previous thread here http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/74146-snow-and-ice-in-the-northern-hemisphere-201213/

Bugger!! You snook in again and started the thread before me!! I'll let you have this one, but I'm doing next year's! ! :-D

Great to see it back (I actually almost started it yesterday you know, but I thought it'd be too early.

I do think there's been some action around the himalayas over the past few days.

Will be interesting to see when the first proper snows will be.

• Like 2

Posted

Bugger!! You snook in again and started the thread before me!! I'll let you have this one, but I'm doing next year's! ! :-DGreat to see it back (I actually almost started it yesterday you know, but I thought it'd be too early.I do think there's been some action around the himalayas over the past few days.Will be interesting to see when the first proper snows will be.

They kept on telling me to start one!

Hopefully we see a good August-October period- recent history and my method would promote a pretty cold and snowy winter with a good Aug-Oct snow growth.

• Like 3

Posted

post-12276-0-81153200-1376696964_thumb.g

A small amount of ice loss- a little growth nr N Greenland offset by a chipping away at ice cover elsewhere, and we also see very little difference in snow cover.

A pretty slow even-ing out of the snow and ice, you'd expect 2-3 weeks more of ice loss, maybe 1-2 weeks; and snow loss to begin to reverse by the start of September. The first snows of the season and snow cover for many in the arctic will most likely begin in the next 3 weeks- and we'll see where the growth comes and at what extent will the snow cover rise.

Posted Image

EC-D8; winter, welcome to Russia.

Edited by Isolated Frost
  • Like 1

Posted

post-12276-0-38799400-1376905896_thumb.g

Added a white pixel in NW Canada, a big fall across western China, and the ice is chipped at, but less so than recent days, with the area around Baffin and Ellesmere getting the largest brunt of any losses.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

Just for fun check this out in fullscreen mode and then in a week and then in two should witness some lowering of the snowline.  http://longyearbyen.livecam360.com/flash/main.php http://sveaspitzbergen.livecam360.com/flash/main.php

• Like 3

Posted

post-12276-0-51323400-1376946572_thumb.g

All that new snow in Western China has gone for the 19th, don't know if error, or just very light falls that have melted abruptly-

big new snow in NW Greenland and NE Canada; and a bizarre boomerang of snow in northern Russia... there we go!

Ice evens itself out with some gains and losses around the board.Encouraging, still have another month before ice losses become near enough non-existant and the snow starts to surge.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I am new to these charts and am wondering what a really promising chart would look like in say 1 month and 2 months time and what a really bad one would look like from the point of view of a UK winter.

• Like 1

Posted

I am new to these charts and am wondering what a really promising chart would look like in say 1 month and 2 months time and what a really bad one would look like from the point of view of a UK winter.

I made a big analysis on the 2012-13 thread, if you want to see it, and Cohen etc have made great publications on the matter; but I believe Aug-Oct is an important time as early Autumn snow growth generally leads to colder UK/Western European winters; in 2 months time, it would be useful to compare to recent years and look at the westerly extent of the snow, ice and snow area and the synoptics around Russia, China and the Arctic have been over autumn.

• Like 1