Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 13th August 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

As per usual, the Triangle will miss any storms!Posted Image Posted Image 

• Like 1

Posted

Actually I think that the METO applied caution and always suggested that there was a chance of unsettled weather, temporarily, in parts of England and Wales right back at the start of the week - and it was clear from the computer models at the time that this was possible as a shortwave, disrupting SE towards southern Britain became to come under the radar.

The overall pattern looked rather more optimistic back then than reality now suggests, but a straightforward blanket dry and warm weekend was never a given, or stated to be one. All that has simply happened is that this possibility of showers has increased and intensified, in line with the sort of micro developments that can happen in this country.  Its not the first time it has happened and it won't be the last time either.

So I don't think it is a case of being forgiving at all - it is simply down to how one wants to choose to interpret the predictions. Especially with a Bank Holiday at stake. Afterall, as stated, the chances of showers was picked up as the models began to move into a reliable time period so it shouldn't be a total surprise...

hi tam

i think too much notice was taken of fi charts posted in the mod thread

posted a while back i was not convinced of the heatwave and the fax charts picked

the unsettled weather as soon as it came into range

fi is after 120 and its always safe to keep to that to avoid disappointment

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

All models are showing north easterlies beyond day 6, I'm am struggling to withhold my excitementPosted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, winter snow.

Evening all,

Street lights are on. Solar lights just starting to come on. And it's not long after 8. What a difference to two months ago!

All I can say about today is.......wet. Finally stopped raining around 3, and a very few glimmers of sunshine in the hours after that. Weather station showing just under half an inch of rain fell today. So this has been the wettest day for quite some time, that's for sure. I know it's a bit of a cliché during dry summers, but the garden really does need it.

MetO saying a max of 29° tomorrow in their London/SE forecast.....Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

EDIT: Sorry, John, just seen you're also mentioning those sorts of temps for tomorrow too. I feel slightly more confident about them now! Posted Image

Edited by Anvils in the Sky
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I only do the ironing if it's raining. So I got through a huge pile of it today.

Then got soaked looking for the cat who's been missing a few days — crawling through dripping undergrowth calling "Fluffy!"

Didn't find him. But then he walks in an hour later dry as a bone and eats his dinner. What you'd call a bummer of a day. Still glad the cat's back.

• Like 6

Posted

hi tam

posted a while back i was not convinced of the heatwave and the fax charts picked

Looking back on the thread it is worth pointing out your post re Sunday night's fax charts didn't pick up todays rain which by my calculation means the error was between 72 and  96 hours. In fairness to the Met Office it seems Monday nights fax charts did pick up the change while I am pretty sure the GFS didn't until the day before which is a plus mark for UKMO.

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all,

Street lights are on. Solar lights just starting to come on. And it's not long after 8. What a difference to two months ago!

All I can say about today is.......wet. Finally stopped raining around 3, and a very few glimmers of sunshine in the hours after that. Weather station showing just under half an inch of rain fell today. So this has been the wettest day for quite some time, that's for sure. I know it's a bit of a cliché during dry summers, but the garden really does need it.

MetO saying a max of 29° tomorrow in their London/SE forecast.....Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

EDIT: Sorry, John, just seen you're also mentioning those sorts of temps for tomorrow too. I feel slightly more confident about them now! Posted Image

Evening all,

hi anvil

no problem mate

shame about the rest of the fax charts

fwiw i am still not certain about sunday

theres a possibilty the low predicted could be further south

i hope the charts resolve that better tomorrow Posted Image

edit

why do i keep getting what i am replying to twice?

Edited by john pike
  • Like 2

Posted

hi tam

Looking back on the thread it is worth pointing out your post re Sunday night's fax charts didn't pick up todays rain which by my calculation means the error was between 72 and  96 hours. In fairness to the Met Office it seems Monday nights fax charts did pick up the change while I am pretty sure the GFS didn't until the day before which is a plus mark for UKMO.

hi kentish

yeh about right but i mean the heatwave not the local conditions

problem with gfs which people follow in fi it shows no troughs etc

thats why ukmo is normally the most reliable source

mind saying that most charts are prone to errors

thats what keeps us coming back as it would be a tad boring if they were always right

• Like 1

Posted

In my bit of n/w London, there's been rain on and off all day, after fairly heavy rain for a couple of hours overnight.

It also got dark depressingly early because of the heavy cloud.

Posted

Hello all.

We all know the charts love to tease us and here is another example. Can't really believe anything when there is a threat of incursions and troughs. Chin up peeps. It's been a

fabulous summer and now we are getting typically British weather. Hey ho Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Hello all.

We all know the charts love to tease us and here is another example. Can't really believe anything when there is a threat of incursions and troughs. Chin up peeps. It's been a

fabulous summer and now we are getting typically British weather. Hey ho Posted Image

hi jan

i always say

the charts do not control the weather

the people i feel sorry for are the people who may have booked

to go away in the uk on hearing the press releases recently

lets hope sunday and monday make up for saturday

• Like 4

Posted

the charts do not control the weather

Blimey - don't tell anyone in the model thread!!! Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Yeah, but I'm at a flipping dog show on Saturday...any chance I could get the show committee to move it to Friday? :D  Waterproofs and Khyam already in the van Posted Image

Posted

hi cp

i think i will keep that between us then Posted Image

heres what ecm show for sunday lunchtime

Posted Image

Posted Image

rain or no rain

that is the question

monday lunchtime

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks ok for now Posted Image

Edited by john pike
  • Like 2

Posted

Hello john,

Yes i agree, but it's a bank holiday..........we should all know by now how temperamental they are Posted Image

Any luck on finding your perfect house yet? x

hi jan

going back on saturday for a week

for round 2

got a couple to look at and i will let you know if anything happensPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

monday

a slightly breezy north east flow

looks dry with sunny intervals

poss cloudy in the east north east but even there there should still be some sun

temps around 23-24 degrees

so at present very useable weather Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Weird, second shower in the last hour with absolutely no cloud overhead and no obvious culprit anywhere to be seen (there's a near full moon).  I am fully aware of the "detached precipitation" phenomena but this is strangest example I have ever seen, the only cloud is the odd patch of very well fragmented alto-cumulus, there's no wind and it's not even close to being overhead!

Posted

Local BBC forecast has got possibly 30C for places in the London area tomorrow, wet for Saturday and a mix of sunshine and cloud Sunday and Monday. 

National forecast has 26 for London, heavy rain including thundery stuff for Saturday and then quiet for Sunday and Monday.

Don't they work from the same data?

Posted

Weird, second shower in the last hour with absolutely no cloud overhead and no obvious culprit anywhere to be seen (there's a near full moon).  I am fully aware of the "detached precipitation" phenomena but this is strangest example I have ever seen, the only cloud is the odd patch of very well fragmented alto-cumulus, there's no wind and it's not even close to being overhead!

The IR satellite image has a tiny bit of thin cloud over you, but you're right, it's odd.

Posted

Posted Image

tuesday

north westerly flow

should stay dry

temps around 22-24 degrees

front to our north west may give some late afternoon showers but too far away to be certain of that yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

hi tam

I think too many people read what they wanted to read JohnPosted Image  There were enough caveats mentioned by enough people to provide a realistic enough interpretationPosted Image

• Like 2