IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 5th August onwards 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Been bloody active here though! :D

Posted

Been bloody active here though! Posted Image

Hehe,

Where I live, we do have our own self contained climate. Storms seem to skirt us all the time.

Posted

Hehe,

Where I live, we do have our own self contained climate. Storms seem to skirt us all the time.

Normally storms build just North of us around Royston, July 23rd (?) of this year was the same, we rarely get a direct hit because we are on top of a range of hills. They either slide across the Lee Valley or across the Chalk downs just north of Buntingford. 

Posted

A note of concern from this member now as I've just had a look at the NMM precip charts for tonight and Eastbourne/Hastings then into West Kent does not look to fare very well at all:

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Big difference! post-15503-0-45378900-1377266742_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry If I moan but why oh why is the southeast that always get the best thunderstorms, we've had one in Exeter this year with some rain and a few flashes *sigh*  It's very rare to get a good old fashioned thunderstorm here

You lucky so and so's!

We really dont get the best thunderstorms we just get em going for the rest of the country :)

• Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

thick altocumulous castellanus cloud sheet here now, with just the odd chink of sunshine....25C and very muggy but currrently dry.....a nice discrete cell has popped up around 15 miles to my east between Hungerford & Newbury.............as far as the bbq goes, the gazeebo is currently being erected in the back garden, bbq pit covered with a huge fosters parasol that I've knicked from a pub, so whatever the weather this evening, we're good to go, hell, the rain will help the excess beer stay cool! Posted Image

Lots of altocumulus castellanus here, too! Lovely solid line on a sheet of rain to Newton Poppleford Weather's N, at the moment. :D

But have you any ground reports of the rain actually reaching the ground? As the model output is just precip reaching the ground...

Hardly an rain is reaching the ground.

A note of concern from this member now as I've just had a look at the NMM precip charts for tonight and Eastbourne/Hastings then into West Kent does not look to fare very well at all:

Posted Image

Christ! That's a lot of rain! Still some intense showers in Newton Poppleford Weather's area left later. :D

Investigative Meteorological Organisations....

Or it could be In My Opinion? Posted Image

In my opinion! Posted Image

Posted

Sorry If I moan but why oh why is the southeast that always get the best thunderstorms, we've had one in Exeter this year with some rain and a few flashes *sigh*  It's very rare to get a good old fashioned thunderstorm here

You lucky so and so's!

We don't get them here contrary to popular belief.  I have had 1 storm this year and heard a few rumbles before the last storm and that is it.  The SE is a big area and my area of it is sadly lacking in storms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Tweet from mr hugo looks good to me

Latest UKMO HRES has E & NE Eng at a risk of +SHRA by early evening & then developing further by 2200BST.

Posted Image

Posted

Latest UKMO HRES has E & NE Eng at a risk of +SHRA by early evening & then developing further by 2200BST.

Not to me, I'm under that lot later! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

My girlfriend was up at her parents just east of York last night and it sounded like a great storm there yesterday evening.

She reported lots of lightning and loud thunder and a spell of intense rain. I was gutted I wasn't there!

It looks like that area could be in line for more this evening, I'm not going up there until tomorrow night Posted Image

After reading through this thread today I think I'll be waking up in the middle of the night thinking about Newton Popplefield Weather!. Here at Nottingham Weather it's cloudy and warm.

I'd take some torrential downpours tomorrow, not expecting much thundery activity but at least there is a chance, something to hold my interest.

Good luck everyone.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm
  • Like 2

Posted

Can't be right, ain't the SE Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Radar has been showing rain here for sometime, but there's nothing reaching the ground. It's still dry.

same here a shower past about an hour ago but nothing reached the ground

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Why? 

Because *hushed tone of voice*, it was looking a bit oo and a bit er!  Much pointing at blue bits on the forecast map and looking worried Posted Image I am now obviously not particularly worried :D

Guest William Grimsley

After reading through this thread today I think I'll be waking up in the middle of the night thinking about Newton Popplefield Weather!. Here at Nottingham Weather it's cloudy and warm.

Offensive?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

You lucky so and so's

I think it could be because of the watering down of the Atlantic that kills any convective stuff over Devon and Cornwall etc. For convection, you need require good amounts of diurnal heating, and to get that, you need a good fetch over a warm landmass or very warm sea, i.e Lincolnshire always getting the daily storm activity due to air becoming unstable whilst crossing the Midlands with a West/Southwesterly and East Anglia and all of Southern England when it gets the Southerlies. 

South East England can be really good for plume activities, as when this occurs, the air has travelled across most of France, thus resulting in very unstable humid air for the trigger of Mesoscale Convective Complexes. (even though we haven't had any good ones for the past 10 years except this year July 23rd coming closest! 

Guest William Grimsley

same here a shower past about an hour ago but nothing reached the ground

Maybe radar's should show what reaches the ground so nobody get's unnecessarily excited! LOL :D 

• Like 3

Posted

Maybe radar's should show what reaches the ground so nobody get's unnecessarily excited! LOL Posted Image

That's what the top of your head is for :doh: 

• Like 1

Posted

That's what the top of your head is for Posted Image

Just got hair on mine. 

Posted

Starting to get a bit active in Naarth East! 

Guest William Grimsley

Starting to get a bit active in Naarth East! 

All that rainfall is error rainfall. I can tell just by looking at it.

Edited by William Grimsley