Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 5th August onwards 2013

Guest William Grimsley

They must do!

The very words of big thunderstorms enevitably causes the viewer to have big confidence that at least some form of thunder and lightning is likely to happen.

Yeah that's more likely more E of both of us. Annoying. I just saw the BBC Weather Forecast and nothing more than rain is being forecast, at the moment.

Posted

From what I've seen the media are emphasizing the amount of rain that will fall in some eastern areas. Using words like Thundery downpours to highlight this. If it rains for 6 hrs with one rumble of thunder then they were correct!

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

Checkout Stav's video forecast this morning on the BBC, I think he is really overplaying it but who knows what he (BBC/MetO) has seen to give all those storms up across the North:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Edited by Coast

Guest William Grimsley

Checkout Stav's video forecast this morning on the BBC, I think he is really overplaying it but who knows what he (BBC/MetO) has seen to give all those storms up across the North:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

I think Stav's interpretation of the rain in E England is a little OTT but to say it's going to be heavy rain in some parts of even SW England later today, I think he could be right.

Posted

From what I saw BBC going for thunderstorms in SE no mention of anything in the SW just rain,ITV west country said heavy rain which could turn thundery which in my experience means it won't,I'd like to see a storm over next few days but having had 4 already including the cracking overnight storm so I wouldn't be to bothered if nothing happens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Did they mean big rain??!!! Posted Image

Or maybe Big Bust Posted Image

post-2719-0-80758200-1377245018_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Guest William Grimsley

From what I saw BBC going for thunderstorms in SE no mention of anything in the SW just rain,ITV west country said heavy rain which could turn thundery which in my experience means it won't,I'd like to see a storm over next few days but having had 4 already including the cracking overnight storm so I wouldn't be to bothered if nothing happens

Heavy rain is good enough for me. But, I would like to see some thunder at some point, today.

Posted

Not seen any forecasts recently due to family probs,so where are the most likely affected areas today,tonight and tom?.Thanks in .advance

Guest William Grimsley

No forecast from UKASF and Estofex having none of it. I am afraid I feel this will be just a lot of heavy rain with at the most the odd rumble of thunder.

+1 that.

• Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

Some moderate/heavy rain pushing in to W Cornwall. Hopefully, some convection will give it more energy and make it more intense. I'm watching this evening, closely. :D

Posted

But, I would like to see some thunder at some point, today.

You never will.

You may hear some thunder one day though...... Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Not seen any forecasts recently due to family probs,so where are the most likely affected areas today,tonight and tom?.Thanks in .advance

It would be the eastern half of the country for the heaviest rain, some of it torrential. Thunderstorm chances are low, however, unless things change. Where you are there are a chances of some heavy showers this afternoon and then periods of heavy rain throughout the night into the morning.

Guest William Grimsley

You never will.

You may hear some thunder one day though...... Posted Image

I know that.

I already have several times...... Posted Image 

I think the most SW England will see is moderate/heavy rain, today. With a cold front hitting warm and muggy air, something must happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Netweather mentioning the magic 'T' words tonight too. 

I do think we could see elevated stuff tonight, as the much cooler uppers bump into the warm, humid airmass. Nocturnal cooling could also aid development possibly? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Posted Image

last night just to the south of darlington, the closest i got to catching the lightning

• Like 4

Guest William Grimsley

Netweather mentioning the magic 'T' words tonight too. 

I do think we could see elevated stuff tonight, as the much cooler uppers bump into the warm, humid airmass. Nocturnal cooling could also aid development possibly? 

Just rain for me. C***.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

It's my birthday bbq this evening, so as far as I'm concerned this 'thundery rain' forecast can bugger off!.....it will be touch and go whether or not I stay dry, might just be far enough east (swindon) to avoid the rain until after dark

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 2

Posted

It's my birthday bbq this evening, so as far as I'm concerned this 'thundery rain' forecast can bugger off!.....it will be touch and go whether or not I stay dry, might just be far enough east (swindon) to avoid the rain until after dark

Postman's been and the invite wasn't there - is it coming by courier? :unsure:

Happy Birthday AJ !!!! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Happy birthday AJ...You can always send your thundery rain over to the Triangle?Posted Image

Guest William Grimsley

might just be far enough east (swindon) to avoid the rain until after dark

I think you could be right, there.

Happy Birthday, AJ! Posted Image

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Postman's been and the invite wasn't there - is it coming by courier? Posted Image

Happy Birthday AJ !!!! Posted Image

it's me burfday tomorrow mate, but ta for the birthday greetings.......just ordered a 3m x 3m x 3m gazeebo from argos to pick up just in case it does rain tonight!

we planned the bbq for tonight as the forecast was good, and tomorrow was supposed to be pants, looks the other way around now!Posted Image

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 1

Guest William Grimsley

just ordered a 3m x 3m x 3m gazeebo from argos to pick up just in case it does rain tonight!

good idea!