Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wasps getting nasty!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

Anyone noticed how nasty wasps are getting? Mum got stung just putting washing out and dad nearly got stung attending to the cabbages which then chased him round garden. Quite a few of them this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I still haven't seen one, SSG...long may it continue!

Posted

What you do need to watch for is if one is accidentally or otherwise killed it seems to send out attack attack pheromones or something.
You can innocently hurt one and suddenly beePosted Image   besieged.
There must be a nest nearby and though generally I would rather leave it alone, if they are being aggressive near the house action may be required.

• Like 2

Posted

What you do need to watch for is if one is accidentally or otherwise killed it seems to send out attack attack pheromones or something.

You can innocently hurt one and suddenly beePosted Image   besieged.

There must be a nest nearby and though generally I would rather leave it alone, if they are being aggressive near the house action may be required.

Thank the lord puns don't live in nests, 4!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Got stung on Saturday, but it could've been worse as I disturbed a nest whilst digging up spuds.

It must have been a young one that got me, as the sting didn't hurt much. They really went for the fork though when I dropped it and ran off.

Posted

Got stung on Saturday, but it could've been worse as I disturbed a nest whilst digging up spuds.It must have been a young one that got me, as the sting didn't hurt much. They really went for the fork though when I dropped it and ran off.

I got stung about 10X a few years back, but they were no worse than ant bites/stings. And that was after 25 years' running away at the slightest buzz! Bee stings are a different matter entirely, however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

they are just plain nasty IMHO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Hate the horrid things !! Have had about 2 quite entertaining fights with them this year so far. Think there will be more to come, normally about this time they tend to get quite irritable and annoying. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Horrid things. How anyone can defend them and say they're not aggressive is beyond me!

I hate wasps , I react badly to being stung (not life threating but...)

Not seen many around here yet , recently up north had to go in doors because of them.

ps don't spray them out of doors they get real moody

I got stung about 10X a few years back, but they were no worse than ant bites/stings. And that was after 25 years' running away at the slightest buzz! Bee stings are a different matter entirely, however.

More IMBY I guess happy to take 1000 ant bites to 1 wasp sting

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I have a wasps nest above my bedroom window. They mostly docile so long as I dont breath heavily near them (they hate mammal breath) or make sudden movements.

Posted

Anyone noticed how nasty wasps are getting? Mum got stung just putting washing out and dad nearly got stung attending to the cabbages which then chased him round garden. Quite a few of them this year.

Approaching that time of year again when wasp society starts to break down, and their craving for glucose leads them straight to my pint of cider.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

I purchased an electric bat from pound land the other week. Electrocuted my 1st wasp yesterday. :) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

made me giggle you saying your Dad got chased round the garden...because this morning i was doing exactly the same thing never thought i could run that fast.....plenty around by us,the most ive seen in years, i even purchased a wasp catcher,you fill it with sugar,honey something sweet etc they fly in through the small holes and are supposed to drown i checked it the other day....its really good, so far its caught none and upon walking back towards the house there was one looking at me by the back door i swear it was laughing at me,not that i hung around!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

made me giggle you saying your Dad got chased round the garden...because this morning i was doing exactly the same thing never thought i could run that fast.....plenty around by us,the most ive seen in years, i even purchased a wasp catcher,you fill it with sugar,honey something sweet etc they fly in through the small holes and are supposed to drown i checked it the other day....its really good, so far its caught none and upon walking back towards the house there was one looking at me by the back door i swear it was laughing at me,not that i hung around!

Yes and pots of gone over Jam and suchlike are very good at attracting them in. Not that I tend to encourage killing Mother Nature's beauties, I would rather embrace the wildlife. Besides, who was here first, on our good earth, the Common Wasp or Common people. Cue Pulp song renditions.....................

• Like 1

Posted

So long as you don't do what my Mum did and put the things (or, in her case, the home-made version) on the kitchen windowsill and attract all the little blighters towards and into the house - I'm still completely wasp phobic more than 30 years after I left home because there were always so many of them about during the season. Put the catchers well away from the house.

Once one or two of them have got caught, the pheromones will attract more.

That said, it's a pretty prolonged, ghastly way for anything to die, even wasps.

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted

Yes and pots of gone over Jam and suchlike are very good at attracting them in. Not that I tend to encourage killing Mother Nature's beauties, I would rather embrace the wildlife. Besides, who was here first, on our good earth, the Common Wasp or Common people. Cue Pulp song renditions.....................

i can think of better things to embrace lol...in fact i took her to a supermarket i dont know why but  i had to start it somewhere so it started.....

Posted

So long as you don't do what my Mum did and put the things (or, in her case, the home-made version) on the kitchen windowsill and attract all the little blighters towards and into the house - I'm still completely wasp phobic more than 30 years after I left home because there were always so many of them about during the season. Put the catchers well away from the house.

Once one or two of them have got caught, the pheromones will attract more.

That said, it's a pretty prolonged, ghastly way for anything to die, even wasps.

yep the catcher is half way down the garden,ive also read similar to what you have said if you kill one more will come to help him...or her..

lol @ the kitchen windowsill,no offence of course to your MumPosted Image

also agree ref drowning...thats my biggest fear,i never step foot on a boat cause you can guarantee the minute i do itl get that sinking feelingPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

Walking up to Mam tor in the peak district on Saturday, and I think it was on Back tor (before loose ridge) taking a rest and lots of them! I wasn't having my lunch for long ! More of them this year than last. Must of been the hot weather recently brought them all out.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Had a nest under my Garden pond once. Got them all with a water spray. Those that crashed on the path got stood on and those than landed in the pond the tadpoles sucked the juices out of them. Took two attempts too clear the nest out but I did it. 

Posted

J2O bottles make good wasp catchers, they seem attracted and go in but struggle to get back out again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold weather + summer heatwaves and thunderstorms.

Nah wasps are down in numbers in the last few years.

They are just the same in behaviour .... IF you encounter one !

Posted

Still not seen many (think I have seen just the one so far this year), not complaining.