Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern Regional Discussion 2nd August 2013 >

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Lovely roll of thunder just heard accompanied with the rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, freezing rain, hail, thunderstorms!

Incredibly heavy rain, thunder and lightning over Somerton for about 20 minutes, now cleared - sun feels really hot. Looks like more moving up from Devon! Great stuff!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Looks like the line is moving very slowly northwards too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I expect the line to now move northwards as Mum has hung the washing out within the last 10 minutes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Looks like the line is moving very slowly northwards too.

Excellent....send it this way please Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Getting plenty of rain, it chucked it down earlier but nothing else.  We are right on the edge of the system.  Skies look stormy but nothing so far.

Posted

Clouded over in the last 30 mins but doesnt look particularly threatening at the mo.

Infact to my south west it's blue sky.

Posted

Dark sky moving over with big fat thundery rain drops now beginning to fall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Heard a distant rumble of thunder about 20 mins ago as I was on my way to the shop. Contemplating a quick timelapse as I have a decent view of sky to the east from my location.

EDIT: Oh and my backlight for my HTC died today so cant see anything unless the sun is shining bright. Really gutted and cant keep an eye on things whilst out.

Edited by Karl83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Excellent....send it this way please Posted Image

and why would we do that?.....it's a south west thing today, all you sarf-eastern foreigners can find your own! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Posted Image

Told you I was right on the edge of the system Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Nipped out to do a timelapse. Got wet so retreated. Rain intensity is increasing here! I was on the edge of it all but now in the thick of it.

Edit: Radar shows it has intensified quite a lot since arriving in North Bristol.

Edited by Karl83

Posted

Today has been almost a carbon copy of Monday in the Warminster/Westbury area, with home having just 2mm in my gauge but, having been at football in Westbury all afternoon, most certainly around an inch will have fallen there!

Several storms, the 1st broke overhead just after 13.00, the 2nd moved in from he WNW just before 14.00 and produced monsoon conditions with a series of close flashes and thunder, the 3rd had a stunning wall cloud/gust front around 16.00 where the rain must have missed the football ground by the narrowest of margins, and the 4th shortly after 16.30 bringing no thunder but another downpour.

Not sure why the thundery activity has died off as the afternoon has continued though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Today has been almost a carbon copy of Monday in the Warminster/Westbury area, with home having just 2mm in my gauge but, having been at football in Westbury all afternoon, most certainly around an inch will have fallen there!Several storms, the 1st broke overhead just after 13.00, the 2nd moved in from he WNW just before 14.00 and produced monsoon conditions with a series of close flashes and thunder, the 3rd had a stunning wall cloud/gust front around 16.00 where the rain must have missed the football ground by the narrowest of margins, and the 4th shortly after 16.30 bringing no thunder but another downpour.Not sure why the thundery activity has died off as the afternoon has continued though.

modelling suggest 3 reasons Andy........air pressure slowly rising, convective energy/lift on the wane, and lower lapse rates.....the air is not convecting enough and when it does convect, there's decreasing deep convection due to slightly milder air aloft

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Some very nice convection to my west here. Looks very nice with the sun gleaming behind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Tomorrows forecast map;

post-12721-0-13223500-1375560703_thumb.j

A pretty non-descript and drab day tomorrow really. Most of this threads region will have a lot of cloudcover, limited sunshine and some parts will see some rainfall.

The area within the red section will see the heaviest and most prolonged periods of rainfall, although it's unlikely to be a serious washout even here.

Tomorrow morning a band of rain, some heavy, will arrive into Cornwall. This will progress steadily northeastwards throughout the morning, with the heaviest rain over Cornwall, Devon and Bristol Channel coasts. Inland Somerset, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and west Dorset will also see some rainfall, but it will be more sporadic and relatively lighter here. There is a small possibility of some early thundery activity off the Cornish coast and towards South Wales tomorrow morning, so you could well note a few sferics here. This is unlikely to build of push inland however, so don't get too excited there.

Most of Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, East Dorset, East Wiltshire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire will see more in the way of dry weather rather than wet weather during daylight hours tomorrow. A few bits and pieces of rain are possible, but nuisance values more than anything.

Temperatures for many of us are likely to peak in the low 20c's, with Cornwall and Devon perhaps not getting above the high teens.

The rainfall should pieter out late afternoon onwards from the South West, but some more heavier, perhaps locally torrential rainfall will approach the South West tomorrow night and push across much of the region overnight tomorrow. I'll elaborate on this tomorrow however.

• Like 4

Posted

Well we had a nice if short-lived thunderstorm last night & today was lovely, sunny & warm, up to 24C, so can't complain.

Posted

What a yucky forecast for tomorrow and Monday, really going to feel like a wet muggy September day. Can't wait for Tuesday onwards.

It's funny how here the worst day of July was the 31st yet the best of August is most likely going to be the 1st.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Weather looking much better for Bristol Balloon Fiesta, next thurs onwards!

Posted

Had a storm pass west of me Friday evening. I wasn't here but had driven west of Tiverton to see a strong one moving for there on radar, then saw the one near Exeter from a distance but saw quite a bit of lightning, some good lightning at times. Not quite sure how the storm structure looked from home or how much/close thunder and lightning was.. trying to ask my dad is not much use  'it sort of went dark over there' lol. some kind of not that close flashes and rumbles too apparently.

With the system today into tomorrow, The NAE wants to give some places almost 100mm Posted Image

Posted Image

A similarish pattern to it's previous run too.

Much of it falls tomorrow morning with a very intense narrow band coming ashore, over 50mm in 6 hours in the brightest purplePosted Image

The NAE can sometimes be a way off with it's rainfall predictions though.. but some heavy could add some interest. I wonder if there could be convective elements in it given the quite localised totals shown if anything similar comes off?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunder

Met Office have issued a yellow warning for today and tomorrow.

Also a mention that the warning could upgrade to amber alert for SW England.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=sw&fcTime=1375570800

Edited by George

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

I reckon, Amber, could be incoming. Looking at latest Sat image,

This is bringing back memories of last year now. Wriggling weather front, with torrential rain developing along it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Had some pretty heavy stuff this morning. Noticeably cooler now, which is a bit of a relief. Never seen such a long period of nice weather since living in Plymouth.