Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern Regional Discussion 2nd August 2013 >

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I've popped in from Wales thread and I think my area has been severely affected by rain with reports of 86mm being recorded since 1am!

Posted Image popped in or floated in ? ........ that's wet even for Wales Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Posted Image popped in or floated in ? ........ that's wet even for Wales Posted Image

Nothing them welch valleys can't handle Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Nothing them welch valleys can't handle Posted Image

Very true and I bet the waterfalls are spectacular....I love Wales Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Rearranged my work today because of this damn rain,really irritates me when the rain stalls!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

not much to report here on west mendip ,overnight action concentrated further west than forecast ,but things could get lively after 2pm .infact sun out now and dry last couple of hrs or so ,told neighbours mon morning would be a wash out so my ratings have gone down ,oh well i can always play the injured soildier and say my op last week is affecting my judgement ,had appendix out surprised iv had it this long ,wouldnt wish it on anybody .keep the info coming in on weather updates .we have a new desktop in its box but my wife said two weeks ago lose a stone and we will install it ,well iv lost more but i will have to wait a little longer brain not functioning properly yet ,a bit of uniformity in clouds out west now so perhaps something is coming our way .Posted Image

Posted
Flood Warning As Heavy Rain Sweeps Across UK

Parts of the UK have been warned of possible flooding as a band of rain spreads across the country.

A huge rain band spreading from southwest England to southern Scotland has brought a warning of possible flooding from the Met Office. A "be aware" alert has been issued for the western half of England, Wales and the Borders, with up to 2.3ins (60mm) of rain possible in parts of the south west. The warning also covers Todmorden, in West Yorkshire, which was hit by up to 18in (46cm) of water a week ago after a cloudburst and torrential rain.

While the heavy rain is bad news for most it could help England's campaign to retain the Ashes, forcing a draw in the third Test. Old Trafford woke to persistent rain which will linger throughout the afternoon, only clearing by early evening, says Sky News weather presenter Sarah Pennock.

For other areas, she said: "A band of slow-moving rain will extend from southwest England to southeast Scotland today, bringing  tricky driving conditions and localised flooding. "The heaviest rain will effect northern and western parts of England and Wales - here we could see up to two inches of rain in places." Pennock added: "It's a very different story for Ireland and much of Scotland - there it will be drier and brighter with sunny spells.  "Tuesday and Wednesday will be an improving story for most with drier conditions, some sunshine and temperatures peaking around 24C in the South East."

The rain and cooler temperatures follows weeks of hot weather which saw Thursday, August 1, become the hottest day of the year so far in the UK, when 34.1C was recorded at Heathrow. The previous highest temperature was 33.5C which was recorded at both Northolt and Heathrow on July 22. 

http://news.sky.com/story/1124621/flood-warning-as-heavy-rain-sweeps-across-uk

Posted

That 'huge rain band' has given 2.0mm here today and 0.2mm since 1:30am, the time where most was meant to fall. I like a good heavy rain sometimes especially now as I haven't had a day with over 10mm of rain since May and before that one March, could do with a decent fall to give a good watering not just on the surface.

Interesting looking line of torrential rain up through parts of Cornwall and west Devon, but looking at the radar it appears that will give pretty much nothing with a heavy bit in the channel going east, and any showers coming my way dying out. Kind of annoying considering last evening this area and up the M5 corridor was supposed to have the heaviest rain today. 

Oh and GFS has removed the CAPE and heavy showers for this area on Wednesday.. bloody marvelous.

Wonder when I'll next see decent rain at home, none showing on the models now.. the protracted drier than normal weather continues.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

West Cornwall hit by flash flooding after heavy rain

Posted Image
Fire crews have been pumping out several flooded properties, including the Tywarnhale Inn in Perranporth

Heavy rain has led to flash flooding and power cuts in parts of Cornwall. In Crantock, the pubs and post office have been flooded and there have been reports of deep standing water affecting a number of roads. Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said crews from Helston, Perranporth, Camborne, Newquay and Truro have been pumping out at several flooding incidents in the west of the county.

The Met Office has a yellow warning in force for the South West.

The weather has also caused power cuts. Western Power Distribution said its engineers were attempting to restore electricity to more than 500 properties in the St Teath area. The Tywarnhale Inn in Perranporth has also been flooded. Landlord Mike Moyle said it was worse than the pub suffered in November. "Last time we got flooded I think they pumped out about 32,000 litres, so it's going to take a while to get rid of this because it's deeper than it was before," he said.

Posted Image
The landlord of the Tywarnhale Inn said the flooding in the pub was deeper than in November

Mr Moyle said water was coming up through manholes inside the pub and in its toilets. He said fire crews arrived "within minutes", but the pumps were unable to cope with the amount of water. Cornwall Council said the fire service had received 15 flood-related calls and its highways department was dealing with blocked drains and surface water flooding in several western areas. Joy Robinson, who lives in Crantock, said the centre of the village was under about 18 ins (47cm) of water, all the manhole covers had lifted and firefighters were pumping out in the post office and pubs.

Posted Image
The rain has led to surface water flooding in many areas and there are unconfirmed reports of power cuts

"It's devastation in Crantock village at the minute," she told BBC News. "Everybody's pitching in and nobody's panicking - Crantock is an amazing community so everybody will pitch in to help each other." Flooding has also been reported in Truro, Scorrier, Beacon, Redruth, Portreath and Helston. The Environment Agency has issued a flood alert for rivers in west Cornwall, including Lands End, Helston, Crowlas, St Ives, Hayle, Camborne and Perranporth. It said river levels had risen quickly in response to the heavy rainfall earlier and with a further rain expected before midday, it would continue to monitor river levels

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-23572910

Posted

Forecasts from yday eve on the telly seem to have been a little astray.

Had me down for rain right through to early afternoon.

I've been up since 6.30 this morning and havent seen a drop!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

We seem to have got the days the wrong way around here. Yesterday was supposed to be grey with occasional sunshine and we had light rain for most of the day; today was supposed to be a washout and instead we have bright spells and the temperature pushing 21C. Hmmm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I was expecting to wake up to heavy rain this mourning.

It has been instead a case of sunshine and cloud with a bit of a breeze.

Not too bad really.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Yup. Looks like those in the West Country and Central Southern England have had a better than protracted day.

Duff forecast for those places me thinks, apologies guys and girls. Will have a look later when I have time to see if anything was missed or I read anything wrong. Maybe it's lack of experience on my part but at least the professionals had it wrong too, making me look ever so slightly less of angel delight.

As Coast has posted above and as is stated on the Environment agency website, there is some flash flooding owing to torrential rainfall across Cornwall today. At least I got that bit right. lol. :)

Anyway, apologies again and at least the "wrongly expected weather" is a much more pleasent and usable sunny spells type of day which I'm sure many are suprised and rather pleased about.

• Like 1

Posted

Yup. Looks like those in the West Country and Central Southern England have had a better than protracted day.

Duff forecast for those places me thinks, apologies guys and girls. Will have a look later when I have time to see if anything was missed or I read anything wrong. Maybe it's lack of experience on my part but at least the professionals had it wrong too, making me look ever so slightly less of angel delight.

As Coast has posted above and as is stated on the Environment agency website, there is some flash flooding owing to torrential rainfall across Cornwall today. At least I got that bit right. lol. Posted Image

Anyway, apologies again and at least the "wrongly expected weather" is a much more pleasent and usable sunny spells type of day which I'm sure many are suprised and rather pleased about.

No slight on you whatsoever AWD - i referred to the TV forecasts from last night in my post.

Always value your insight on here. Cheers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

No slight on you whatsoever AWD - i referred to the TV forecasts from last night in my post.Always value your insight on here. Cheers.

Mine was wrong too though mate so I think it's only right I look at where I may have gone wrong and learn from any mistakes/oversights I may have made.Gladly, the next few days look a lot easier to forecast so hopefully I may be closer to the mark in the coming days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Mine was wrong too though mate so I think it's only right I look at where I may have gone wrong and learn from any mistakes/oversights I may have made.

Gladly, the next few days look a lot easier to forecast so hopefully I may be closer to the mark in the coming days.

Not to worry I am just glad it is summer and not frontal snow that we are looking at as we would have been hanging ourselves by now! Posted Image  For once it moved in our favour.Posted Image

Edited by mullender83
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Wow what a downpour we just had then! Then instantly stopped.

Posted

That stuff on radar stretching up from SE Cornwall to south Wales does look mean - has the look of thunderstorms just without the thunder. Can kind of see things pivoting round on the radar. I'd guess areas NE of there could get some new cells break out so could be interesting along with that line it's self. Will probably miss here the way things have been.

Had some small heavy showers pop up that were coming this way but they've died lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

heavy showers now breaking in the BANES area....looks like a wet afternoon for some

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

My Blitzortung app is going mad.