Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Perseids Meteor Shower 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Sadly ( for most ) the best time is after 1 a.m. as the earths rotational spin then adds into our orbital speed allowing the dimmer ones to burn more brightly. If you face east but take in as broad a view as you can then your peripheral vision will notice the edge ones ( if they're fireballs you'll have time to look and see them) otherwise just deckchair/hammock it with a brew/few tinnies and duvet coat/sleeping bag whilst you do your mental filing as you wait.

Last night gave me an average of 1 every 3 mins but some arrive in clusters so that spreads out their frequency. The fireballs make it worthwhile though! Greens through purple and very long tails as they streak through...magic!!!

Definitely noticed they came in clusters. Didn't see any 'fireballs' though- could be due to the fact I'm practically in the middle of town.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The majority of fireballs (bright and long lasting with tail and 'colour') I saw came in from a ENE direction so to the left of where I'd positioned myself?

It might be worth you're while to shield out as much of the light pollution that you can as accidental streetlight exposure ruins your night vision for an age and there were a lot of near instant 'streaks' from the smaller ones that I would not see were I more exposed to light pollution? Maybe a couple of sheets over the washing line could blank out the worst of the 'interference'?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Saw 8 lastnight with a bonus of the international space station :). It was quite cloudy so would have been more but not bad considering.

Posted

How many would we expect to see tonight if the weather is good and away from the lights.

Same amount, but the cloud might be an issue:

Posted Image

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_irsat.html

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

saw a few on sunday night. didn't really bother looking last night as it was too cloudy.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

http://vimeo.com/72726988

Edited by Polar Maritime