Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Perseids Meteor Shower 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather,sun,clouds,hate rain .

out front of house none,but seen one at back going southwards,darn cold out there so im wrapped up and going back out back again.

Posted

Just seen a few hanging out of the house window in the Cotswolds with my cocoa. V clear and dark. I'm trying work out which planets I can see

None at the moment, at least not naked eye ones. Lots of 1st magnitude stars though. Seen a few brilliant Perseids tonight, notably one that left a trail that seemed to glow red.

Overheard earlier that the actual peak could be just before the dawn sunrise, or as near as, of course light dependent etc - not quite that committed though! Caught at least a dozen more notable ones, about twenty odd faint and counting so far. One more quick peek then adios amigos :)

Enjoyed that, even the local owl population sounded their applause.

Edited by triple_x1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather,sun,clouds,hate rain .

Just back inside from sky watching out back,seen a few not bright ones,a few bright and lastly one bright one tail and all worth waiting for that one was' Posted Image it was headed southwards.im calling it a night now,enjoying a nice hot drink.nite nitePosted Image

• Like 1

Just saw a green trail one is that normal? Very chilly, dare I say it autumnal! 

Saw one of those years ago when I was young so they must happen. Just been stood outside for 10 minutes and saw 3 or 4 none of them bright, bit of a let down up here. Must be too much high level cloud, normally get a good show here.

Posted

Have done 2 trips outside so far, seen a grand total of.... ONE!  That was spotted facing NE, will go back out again in a while, once my nose has thawed out Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Just saw a green trail one is that normal? Very chilly, dare I say it autumnal!

Copper burning up? 

• Like 1

Posted

Just seen a few hanging out of the house window in the Cotswolds with my cocoa. V clear and dark. I'm trying work out which planets I can see

If you have an android phone download the free  Google Sky Map app. Point the phone directly at wherever you are looking just as you would if you were taking a photo with the phone cam and the app display will tell you exactly what you are looking at in the night ( or day ) sky, complete with names of the the stars and planets etc. There is also a similar free app for I-phones.

Posted

A couple of bright ones in a relatively clear sky. I've seen better!

Posted

I was out last night for an hour and a half from about 11:30pm. I think people that just pop out for 10 minutes and don't see anything need to try sitting outside for longer and getting dark adapted before giving up. I didn't see much for the first 15 minutes, only a few faint ones but once I was completely dark adapted I must have seen about 15 very bright ones that left trails. One of the best nights watching these for a few years and that was in my back garden not that far from a large city!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Sat from 12:30 and gave myself a 'limit' of 50 went to bed at 2:30 with 66 in the bag and 15 or 16 of those were fireballs.

Brightness defo picked up after 1.am as our spin added into the speed of the collisions and i heard one 'POP' from an overhead fireball.

It's been over 7 years since we've had such clear moon free skies to watch them and i'd forgotten how addictive it is with the " I'll go in after the next one...." business.

Here's hoping ISON leaves some rubble for our pass through it's tail from Jan 12th next year?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Saw a few here last night, it is rural (ish) but still in town so there is some light leakage locally which kinda spoilt it a bit.

Actually felt very cool out there too, made the hot cuppa all the more inviting.

Posted

I went out and didn't see a thing. We have very dark skies here and little light pollution. Thousands of stars very visible, including the cloudiness of the Milky Way. I could't work out why I didn't see anything. I was out about 10 minutes, had to come in because I had neckache and I was cold!

Will there be anything tonight? Which direction should I look — I have a 360 view here.

Posted

I was out last night for an hour and a half from about 11:30pm. I think people that just pop out for 10 minutes and don't see anything need to try sitting outside for longer and getting dark adapted before giving up.

I'm guilty of that but I wasn't prepared to be patient after wasting over an hour last time around. Besides, Family Guy was just starting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Sadly ( for most ) the best time is after 1 a.m. as the earths rotational spin then adds into our orbital speed allowing the dimmer ones to burn more brightly. If you face east but take in as broad a view as you can then your peripheral vision will notice the edge ones ( if they're fireballs you'll have time to look and see them) otherwise just deckchair/hammock it with a brew/few tinnies and duvet coat/sleeping bag whilst you do your mental filing as you wait.

Last night gave me an average of 1 every 3 mins but some arrive in clusters so that spreads out their frequency. The fireballs make it worthwhile though! Greens through purple and very long tails as they streak through...magic!!!

Posted

Last night gave me an average of 1 every 3 mins but some arrive in clusters so that spreads out their frequency. The fireballs make it worthwhile though! Greens through purple and very long tails as they streak through...magic!!!

The best meteors I've seen weren't associated with any periodic shower. Saw one a coupla years back whilst on nights having a cig - I was looking in the right direction at the right time whilst my two buddies weren't. They were wondering why I was agog at the fireball which seemed to descend almost vertically and I swear if it'd kept going for another second it'd have been like a scene from Deep Impact or summat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

The best meteors I've seen weren't associated with any periodic shower. Saw one a coupla years back whilst on nights having a cig - I was looking in the right direction at the right time whilst my two buddies weren't. They were wondering why I was agog at the fireball which seemed to descend almost vertically and I swear if it'd kept going for another second it'd have been like a scene from Deep Impact or summat.

In the last few nights I have watched Deep Impact and Armageddon (mainly due to the fact meteors have been in the news I will confess)