Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How good was July 2013?

Based on Climate Uk figures

http://www.climate-uk.com/ (source as requested by Mr Eden)

CET: (Jul 1-30): 18.4°C (+1.7 degC) E&W Rain: (Jul 1-30): 58.9mm ( 91 per cent) E&W Sun: (Jul 1-30): 285.0hr (145 per cent)

July by region compared to average (up to 25th) Temp, Rain %, Sun %

N Scot   +1.6 40 117     E Scot   +2.9 46 146                W Scot   +2.5 71 144  	 CentScot +2.7 69 142          NE Eng   +2.5 32 145                                   EAnglia  +2.4 50 154        Midlands +2.9 59 149                   SE Eng   +2.2 29 147                        NW Eng   +2.9 42 163Wales    +2.7 22 163  SW Eng   +2.8 29 159Ireland  +2.6 49 154      Irish Rep+2.9 53 141  

The Full List is now out for the month, and the big difference relates to rainfall with some regions going above average.

Based on Climate Uk figures

http://www.climate-uk.com/ (source as requested by Mr Eden)

CET: (Jul 1-31): 18.4°C (+1.7 degC) E&W Rain: (Jul 1-31): 63.7mm ( 96 per cent) E&W Sun: (Jul 1-31): 289.0hr (142 per cent)

July by region compared to average (up to 31st) Temp, Rain %, Sun %N Scot +1.0 84 121   E Scot +2.1 102 141              W Scot +1.7 103 139     CentScot +1.9 129 136       NE Eng +1.8 108 141                                 EAnglia +1.8 96 148    Midlands +2.2 120 143                 SE Eng +1.6 72 138                     NW Eng +2.0 118 158Wales +1.8 79 156 SW Eng +1.9 77 147Ireland +1.7 89 151     Irish Rep+2.0 81 150
Edited by Jackone

Posted

Interesting that the final third of the month (21-31st) had 266% of the average rainfall. This followed a middle third (11-20th) which had no rain whatsoever.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

August 2003 had the same CET to July just gone but had a more notable and warmer 10 day period at the start. That shows that the remainder of the month would have been good but hardly anything special. The last 3 days of August 2003 saw some cool northerlies which much have taken the shine off the month at the time.

August 2003 is overrated as far as I'm concerned, temperature-wise it was nothing special here, not a warm as July 1990 or August 1997 or July 1995 or July 1989 or.. you get the drift. No shakes in the high temperature department either with the temperature getting above 30C only one at Church Fenton - three times in Leeds where I was living at the time, but then the max temperature of 31.8C was way cooler than the 38.5C recorded in Kent and the 38.1C in London, and was nowhere near record-breaking, with such temperatures being recorded many times in the past.

Edited by cheese

Posted
Tasmanians swap slippers for ice cream as winter warms up
By Lauren Day

Updated Fri Aug 2, 2013 8:08am AEST

Ice cream sales are up and ugg boot sales down in Tasmania this winter, with Hobart recording its hottest July on record.

More than 50 weather records were broken last month with Hobart's 10 degree average the warmest in more than 130 years of records.

I have a practice of posting the monthly stats in the  "Summaries and Statistics " thread; I'll be doing that tomorrow there.

Edited by Styx
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

compare to the last few july's this july has been excelent. 8-10.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Although not as hot here as July's of 2006, 2003, 1983 etc due to a number of days with on shore breezes, it has been a month of abundant sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I am glad the extreme heat is fading now, but just as happy with mid 20's temps for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

What extreme heat? We've only had 1 day close/just above 30c and even that isn't extreme.

Mid 20s is indeed good - 25-27c is spot on. Only 24.3c today but still very pleasant but wouldn't want it too much lower.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Statistically August 2003 was a hot dry sunny month, except locally such as around Shrewsbury where sunshine totals fell marginally short of the long-term average.  However, while most of the month was notably dry, most of the temperature and sunshine excess stemmed from the first 9 or 10 days- I recall that cloudy "high pressure in the wrong place" scenarios were a recurring issue in the last two-thirds of the month, particularly around the late-August Bank Holiday weekend. 

July 2013 came out somewhat wetter and sunnier than August 2003 in most regions- a rather contrary combination, but caused by the predominantly clear skies during the long dry anticyclonic spell and the frequent heavy downpours from the 23rd onwards, a period during which sunshine totals merely fell close to the long-term average and thus didn't do too much damage to the high monthly aggregates.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

The only good thing about July 2013 is that it finally came to an end. The same will be applicable to this month, then autumn and better days will be here and the hideousness of summer will again be a distant memory.

• Like 2

Posted

I do hope you will be patient with the relatively few folk who find September to May unpleasant?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I do hope you will be patient with the relatively few folk who find September to May unpleasant?

Me being one of them. I may be found venting my displeasure from time to time after a dull and raw day in mid January.

• Like 1

Posted

No - they're crazy and I have no time for them.

• Like 2

Posted

Me being one of them. I may be found venting my displeasure from time to time after a dull and raw day in mid January.

Can I add "cold,windy and dark" to "dull and raw"? Making me all dewy-eyed just thinking of it....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

No - they're crazy and I have no time for them.

You're in the wrong place then. This forum is for all weather interests and preferences and we should all respect that.

• Like 3

Posted

You're in the wrong place then. This forum is for all weather interests and preferences and we should all respect that.

Why - I get endless flak and ridicule for being different to the supposed majority.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Why - I get endless flak and ridicule for being different to the supposed majority.

I know, and it would be nice if heat and sun rampers received more flak to balance things out. My point is there's nothing wrong with taking to one side of the weather or the other, it's just negating the other side that gets a bit tiring. I can name quite a few members either way. To put this to bed, I share many of your weather preferences in the darker times of the year i.e. gales, lashing rain, snow, fog etc., but do like seasonal variation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I know, and it would be nice if heat and sun rampers received more flak to balance things out. My point is there's nothing wrong with taking to one side of the weather or the other, it's just negating the other side that gets a bit tiring. I can name quite a few members either way. To put this to bed, I share many of your weather preferences in the darker times of the year i.e. gales, lashing rain, snow, fog etc., but do like seasonal variation.

Ditto. During the summer, I prefer sun more than cloud, and in winter, I prefer cloud more than sun, but I like all types of weather to varying degrees. I like fog, snow, rain, gales, sun, cloud, cold, thunder, lightning, hail and yes even heat, purely from an interest POV though as 30C is not comfortable to me. 24C is very comfortable.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

The only good thing about July 2013 is that it finally came to an end. The same will be applicable to this month, then autumn and better days will be here and the hideousness of summer will again be a distant memory.

Are you fat and therefore suffer with our very moderate summer heat? Laserguy as a moniker implies otherwise though.Posted Image  Good that you look forward to our very temperate winters then.

We, probably, have one of the best climates for non heat lovers - maybe it's why Britain had many centuries of success on the World Stage - temperate latitudes seem most successful for human flourishment. You could likely easily locate to the Northern Isles to avoid the 'excesses' of the mainland British Summer?

Tbh I find your post somewhat bizarre. Do you really also get 'endless flak.?' I've noticed certain people who do and you aint one of them.Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Are you fat and therefore suffer with our very moderate summer heat?

Good Lord no!  165lbs and 5'10" - I'm as sleek and agile as a mountain goat! Dunno why I feel the heat so acutely, probably some dreadful developing illness which one day will burst forth from its incubation and carry me off to a colder place...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Good Lord no!  165lbs and 5'10" - I'm as sleek and agile as a mountain goat! Dunno why I feel the heat so acutely, probably some dreadful developing illness which one day will burst forth from its incubation and carry me off to a colder place...

You deem that sleek and agile!! Try 134lbs and 6'1..... And no matter what I eat that never changes. 

Probably a factor in why I feel the cold more than most. 

Posted

You deem that sleek and agile!! Try 134lbs and 6'1..... And no matter what I eat that never changes. 

Probably a factor in why I feel the cold more than most. 

Try sayin' that when you're pushing 50!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

dunno why you bother coming on here... all you do is moan, on and on and on.. frankly its tiresome. i actually agree with some of your tastes, i find some posts amusing, but your terminal moaning... why? it wont change anything!  summer is warm, get over it, or move to a more clement climate.

• Like 1