Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How good was July 2013?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

How good has July been in your location?

Here its been a very good month on the whole. We are never going to see the warmth of elsewhere due to the proximity to the north sea but i believe we saw a fair share of hot days with several days completely cloudless. It was cloudier and cooler to start and end the month but there was some interesting convective activity thrown in as well. It scores 8.5/10. It loses 1.5 pts due to the north sea low cloud on some days and the recent cloudier spell.

• Like 1

Posted

Fantastic!

The best and longest heatwave since 2006, sandwiched by a few cool/unsettled days at the start and an unsettled though still warm and humid end which included plenty of thundery activity.

The month is summed up by this stat ; 25c+ on 23 days of which 7 got above 30c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

excellent 100% excellent kids have had the pool out many many times we have had some beautiful sunsets,and bar today id give july a big fat 9.9/10....for the 1st time in 7 years i got my milk bottle legs out and even they managed to get a tan

i have enjoyed every single minute and its just goes to show the uk can indeed get beautiful summer weather.....like i say to everyone i know "every days a blue sky day its just the **** thats underneath it"

incredible really getting up nearly every day to sunshine..great stuffPosted Image

Based on Climate Uk figures

http://www.climate-uk.com/ (source as requested by Mr Eden)

CET: (Jul 1-30): 18.4°C (+1.7 degC) E&W Rain: (Jul 1-30): 58.9mm ( 91 per cent) E&W Sun: (Jul 1-30): 285.0hr (145 per cent)

July by region compared to average (up to 25th) Temp, Rain %, Sun %

N Scot   +1.6 40 117     E Scot   +2.9 46 146                W Scot   +2.5 71 144  	 CentScot +2.7 69 142          NE Eng   +2.5 32 145                                   EAnglia  +2.4 50 154        Midlands +2.9 59 149                   SE Eng   +2.2 29 147                        NW Eng   +2.9 42 163Wales    +2.7 22 163  SW Eng   +2.8 29 159Ireland  +2.6 49 154      Irish Rep+2.9 53 141  

Edited by Jackone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

A good month bar this past week which has been cool and gloomy. Nothing exceptional temperature wise, but great to have a period of sun and warmth. I lower my mark a bit, because the past few summers have tainted our expectations somewhat to be lower than they should be. 7/10

Posted

Definitely the best since 2006 here. However, low cloud from the North Sea did ruin quite around five days or so, but some good storms near the end a consecutive run of eight days above 25°C ensured that the month will definitely be fondly remembered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Fan-daby-dozy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

With a mean max of 24.6C and an overall mean of 18.2C, temperature-wise, a  very warm summer month, warmer than August 1995 in terms of average maximum temperatures. In terms of sunshine, nothing truly exceptional at 221.2 hours, but a fair way above the July average of 205.9 hours.

Locally Stats based on Mumbles weather Station

Stats compared to 1981-2010 - 30 year average

Max Temps  21.2 (+1.6c)

Min Temps 15.6 (+1.7c)

Rain 37.6mm (52% of average)

Average Max at Blackpill 22.6c, Max 27.9c, 9 days above 25c

Dry Days: 22Wet Days: 9Days With Rain >1.0mm:  7 (-3 days)Days With Rain >10mm: 1

In terms of sunshine around 290hrs at Aberporth, (45% above average)

9/10 for me.

Edited by Jackone

I'm not a huge fan of heat and prolonged dry anticylonic weather but it wasn't too humid and uncomfortable and the sun and warmth were a pleasant change considering the lack of such weather over past summers. Variety is the spice of life as they say! The change in the last third of the month with much needed rain and cooler weather was welcome in the end and added to the variety yet more I suppose. No storms hit us though which was frustrating considering we seemed to miss out when most other areas had some great ones.

A fairly pleasant month overall then I'd say, 7.5/10. Although nice it would have been lower if the dryness and heat continued all month as I was pining for a change in the end.

Posted

Based on Climate Uk figures

http://www.climate-uk.com/ (source as requested by Mr Eden)

CET: (Jul 1-30): 18.4°C (+1.7 degC) E&W Rain: (Jul 1-30): 58.9mm ( 91 per cent) E&W Sun: (Jul 1-30): 285.0hr (145 per cent)

July by region compared to average (up to 25th) Temp, Rain %, Sun %

N Scot   +1.6 40 117     E Scot   +2.9 46 146                W Scot   +2.5 71 144  	 CentScot +2.7 69 142          NE Eng   +2.5 32 145                                   EAnglia  +2.4 50 154        Midlands +2.9 59 149                   SE Eng   +2.2 29 147                        NW Eng   +2.9 42 163Wales    +2.7 22 163       Ireland  +2.6 49 154       Irish Rep+2.9 53 141                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Has SW England been disowned by the UK? lol

Very good here really, today was dull with no sun though.

14 days over 25C and 10 in a row, and it seemed very sunny here much of the month, not sure exactly how sunny until end of month figures/reports/maps come out.

Thundery activity was perhaps slightly disappointing with activity grazing me, though did see some flashes, and one surprise strong close CG a few days ago.

probably at least an 8/10.

Has SW England been disowned by the UK? lol

Very good here really, today was dull with no sun though.14 days over 25C and 10 in a row, and it seemed very sunny here much of the month, not sure exactly how sunny until end of month figures/reports/maps come out.

Thundery activity was perhaps slightly disappointing with activity grazing me, though did see some flashes, and one surprise strong close CG a few days ago.

probably at least an 8/10.

Orignal report now amended to include SW England (Cut and Paste Error)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Great!!!

By far the best summery spell we have had here since 2006. We have had plenty of hot periods since then, but not as hot as this one.

The long duration of high temperatures and sunshine is what will make it well remembered.

Posted

An excellent month overall, tainted only by the odd poor day at either end of the month (today was rubbish) and an increased amount of rain in the last week. But even when it turned more unsettled it was still generally warm and sunny.

Not a "tell-your-grandchildren" month, but very much welcome after what recent July's have been like here.

9/10

Posted

A fantastic month in NW England as the figures from Philip Eden show- we've done better up here than anywhere else in the country relative to the average. A truly memorable prolonged hot spell and hardly any cool days in the whole month.

Posted

7/10. Better than July 2005 but not as good as July 1999. (Nowhere near 2006 or 1983). A good 2-week hot spell that just disappointed in not reaching 30C (though there were 10 days above 25). Not very good  for thunder either, only 2 days with only   overhead, briefly on Monday 29th. With all the rain since the 22nd it might even end up wetter than average, but at least it has not suffered a long sunless spell- the main reason it beats 2005.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Mostly very good with ample sunshine & plenty of warmth.

Earlier in the month was cooler with the NEly wind doing its best to knock the temperatures down. Only a few truly 'hot' days (>28c) mostly in the middle of the month. No 30c recorded so reluctant to call it a heatwave as such - just a good long warm spell broken up with some North Sea induced cooler cloudier days. This week has been comparatively poor as stands out in my data as shown here. 

post-94-0-47323200-1375303480_thumb.png

Average temperature: +20.4 °CAverage maximum temperature: +24.8 °CAverage minimum temperature: +16 °C

Certainly shows how the average has risen - especially at night - as the month has gone on all down to the NEly wind that finally stopped after going for what seems non-stop since mid January.

Only two maxes below 20c (today just made it in the end despite how grim its been) during early in the month and that dire weather a week last Sunday.

We had some BIG storms with flooding locally to spice things up!

Splitting it down into max temps:

Cool days (<20c) = 2

Average days (20c-22c) = 6

Warm days (22c-25c) = 7

Very warm days (25c-28c) = 13

Hot days (28c-31c) = 3

Very hot days (>31c) = 0

If we'd have lost the two cool days and put them into the 'very hot' category you'd get near enough my perfect split for a summer month maxes. Certainly having over half the month in very warm or hot is damn good!

The garden has *loved* it this year - what a difference to how it was last year. Got peppers & chillies growing well - this time a year ago they were just dropping flowers and being eaten by slugs!

Posted

For down here its been a superb month, all the more impressive because it came after a poor June and utterly dismal May. The top temperature here was 34c which I recorded today, overall temps hit 30c or above on 19 days. The warmest night came in at 22c.

Although people might think summers are generally very warm here its still quite unusual to get this extended heat, I only recorded two days below 25c, the coldest day being 21c on the 3rd with the 4th recording 24c, since then its been above 25c right the way through.

Its expected to be extremely hot tomorrow here with widely 36c expected, some localized spots could hit 40c. That may well be the hottest we record here this summer given the trends from the models but we did see a notable event in 2010 with 40c reached but that was a scenario where the foehn effect played a big role and was remarkable given that was recorded in the last week of August.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Not sure if June or July was better this year. June was much cooler and more bearable (especially at night), but July had some thundery activity. The extremity of July as well might just etch it into memory a bit more too. I did enjoy June a lot, it's just whether I'll remember it as clearly.

Edited by 22nov10blast

Absolutely fantastic here. A couple of weeks of hot, sunny weather, where we saw our highest temperature since 2006, and then followed by a  thundery breakdown, which contained some of the loudest thunder I've heard in a while. If that wasn't enough, just a few days ago saw a storm with the heaviest rainfall I've seen in my entire life - So heavy that it broke the weather stations rainfall intensity reading.

Hopefully August will be just as eventful!

Posted

Here it was the warmest/hottest July in my 18 years of records so for temperature it has to rate highly. Here it beats both 2006 and 1997. Rainfall also well below average. The odd N Sea St day but overall I would imagine the sunshie stats for this area show pretty high-will await the COL data. Two days with thunderstorms as well.

Posted

Orignal report now amended to include SW England (Cut and Paste Error)

Ah thanks, was thinking it might have been an error on the website, shows the very good stats for this region like most for the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

July has been outstanding here. During those 3 weeks it was brilliant to wake up and expect pretty much clear blue skies every day. And a nice thundery treat to finish. One of the best summer months of the 2000s thus far!! 9.5/10. A loss of 0.5 because it wasn't sunny and hot in the first And last few days. :lol: