Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18z 28/07/13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

There's no other way of saying this but the GFS 12Z is absolutely stunning, plume after plume after plume - August would turn out to be wonderful for summer heat and thunderstorm lovers alike.

Without getting too carried away though, it looks like this week's plume may last a tad longer than first though i.e. into Friday, not just Thursday, a transition day on Saturday before high pressure moves in on Sunday. Just need to get tomorrow's rain out the way though the persistent stuff could possibly stay south of the M4 with more showery rain further north. Either way, after the current cooler blip things look like warming/hotting up by midweek. :)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

A definite shift in the mid range from ECM and GFS today, after our initial plume on Thurs/Fri the general pattern looks more favourable to warmth than previously. Not followed every run but the general theme looks much more interesting if you like it hot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted

Well once again the 12 GFS builds pressure next week, but I just don't know whether we can trust this evolution quite yet. 

Only 24-36hrs ago things looked very different, so who is to say we won't see another shift towards low pressure again over the next 3 or 4 runs, but for now a much drier and pleasantly warm outlook appears to be gathering some sort of momentum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Good ensemble mean for the start of next week

Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

An intriguing set of runs so far today, building upto next week only 24hrs looked like unsettled conditions would be taking a foot hold, but a change in play today as a pressure rise keeps showing signs next week and the 12gfs is a blow torch run, keeps reloading heat and i'm sure storms would be close by again. Its Bristol Balloon Fiesta next Thursday to Sunday (8-11th) so need it dry and light winds i prefer the morning runs, slack pressure over us!

• Like 2

Well once again the 12 GFS builds pressure next week, but I just don't know whether we can trust this evolution quite yet. 

Only 24-36hrs ago things looked very different, so who is to say we won't see another shift towards low pressure again over the next 3 or 4 runs, but for now a much drier and pleasantly warm outlook appears to be gathering some sort of momentum.

I agree to a certain extent,im not sure the direction of the trough is nailed yet so anything after is uncertain,however,some sort of pressure build from the south looks likely now.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

the 12z gfs is a stunner! as several have posted plume after plume.. if this became reality it certainly would elevate 2013 into the realms of 'one to remember'.. unfortunately its  likely to be an outlier.

the ecm suggests pressure rise of some discription, but its messy.

its clear that after the expected plume later this week its far from certain what will evolve. but signes must be on the positive side for sun/heat/summer lovers.

• Like 5

Posted

Despite the medium and long range models previously showing a break down to wet and cooler weather, the main models have consistently shown this not to be absolutely the case with another possible heat reload nearer the time!

Yes you're right as this has been the general theme with the models for much of this month.

Im delighted with the output not just because of the potential but also from a forecasting perspective. I said around a week ago I expected the same pattern to continue and that currently looks the case. So the outlook for me continues to be warm with spells of very warm or even hot temperatures. This accompanied by thundery outbreaks at times.

Amazingly the GEFS control run is just as warm as the GFS Op!!

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/graphe_ens3.php?x=306&ext=1&y=141&run=12&ville=Londres&runpara=0

• Like 6

Posted

This has been shown for a fair few runs now- all the models, from what I've seen have shown the trend for high pressure to build from the south. I can't really recall any runs that have shown low pressure dominating recently, most have shown it stalling out to the west and the recent trend has been for it to move away to the north allowing pressure to build.

• Like 6

Posted

ECM joins GFS op and control runs for next week

Posted Image

JMA also quite tasty for those after the heat

Posted Image

Forecasts of an Atlantic dominated beginning to August are not looking too good now. The difficulty in long-term forecasting is evident again here. Many thought August may be the opposite of July, and up until about 4 days ago this looked a possibility. But the problem was that the heat was never far away  and a variation of just a few hundred miles in the pattern would throw predictions of an unsettled August out of the window, as indeed is happening before our eyes. After tomorrow, it looks like at least a week of hot and sunny weather interspersed by temporary thundery breakdowns. Beyond that, not exactly a repeat of July but prospects look better for upper heights than lower heights right now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Forecasts of an Atlantic dominated beginning to August are not looking too good now. The difficulty in long-term forecasting is evident again here. Many thought August may be the opposite of July, and up until about 4 days ago this looked a possibility.

Erm the only issue being there is 31 days in August and the charts you posted are from the 5th......meaning there would be another 26 days of August left after that point? Given model volatility to this point, let's not count too many chickens eh.

It's looking a lot more promising for heat lovers tonight however, that cannot be denied.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted

The ECM is quite consistent now in its FI output of troughing developing over Iberia, beforehand that separate high cell off the Azores high edges ne, a similar set up occurred before that hot weather last week for the UK.

The interest really comes as to where this troughing sets up if it verifies, this will decide whether its heatwave part 2 or just a hot blip.

I'd be wary of the outputs showing a quick ejection ene of this troughing as we had much the same suggestion in FI before and as we've seen the models were far too progressive.

I think the GFS in its FI looks a bit more likely with the trough ejecting more ne/n, generally I'm happy to ignore the lower resolution GFS but when you're in very much a stalemate pattern its normally the default recent synoptics that seems most likely.

Theres no real catalyst here for a major change over Europe, the MJO signal is weak and until that changes then a big change over Europe is unlikely, within this stalemate though is pinning down the detail which is a difficult job because of the big differences felt on the ground depending on where exactly any troughing sets up, a couple of hundred miles either way which is tiny on a global level will make a big difference.

• Like 9

Posted

I know that is why I deleted it , the page date was of today though .My apologies :bad:

No worries, although I didn't spot the date until after I'd read it. However, I daresay that the Express will be putting out something similar soon!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_London_ens.png

ok its not bone dry but plenty of warmth(hot tbh) around on these

yoyo springs to mind...

2 distinct peaks there bringing more very warm or hot conditions. The most the mean gets below average is round about now and London still saw 24c today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

What is interesting on tonights ecm and gfs is that both models build pressure at t+144, but both drop the pressure 48hrs later at+192! Looks to me that any pressure rise is short lived...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-6830-0-17849000-1375127728_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-61289100-1375127756_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-95396500-1375127783_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-60348800-1375127814_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Here is the latest model analysis summary from Gibby

In Summary it is shaping up to be that this August is a much more thundery period than years of late. The synoptic pattern shown on all models is ideal for shower and storm development either home grown or imported from the Continent as shallow Low pressure continues to engage the permanent hot fields of Europe over the next few weeks. As always there will be some places that will miss the showers and storms with dry and fine weather. Temperatures overall look like staying above average for much of the time and well above average on occasion, especially in the SE.

Full summary as ever can be found here - http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/Model-Analysis%282859336%29.htm

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Frosty, this better mean there chance of precipitation for Saturday in scunny has not risen and we are going to be thunderstormed (made up word) out!!!!

We need a dry music fest!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Frosty, this better mean there chance of precipitation for Saturday in scunny has not risen and we are going to be thunderstormed (made up word) out!!!!We need a dry music fest!!!!!!

At the moment it looks like the main chance of thunderstorms will be Friday night, a front should clear through then, Saturday there is a chance of showers though, if your festival is on Sunday aswell at the moment that looks good with a ridge of high pressure moving in from the sw.Still just too far ahead to be sure of though but hope it goes well for you.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The models are starting to firm up on another warm spell commencing during the second half of the weekend and lasting on into next week. The exact duration of this spell is still unsure but at the moment it is shown to last for roughly 2/3 days. The breakdown is shown to be arriving from the south so more heat and storms could be on the cards.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Unfortunately Saturday but camping over night into Sunday midday.

I'm just glued to this page but its like watching a foreign movie .................. Without subtitles lol

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Best quote in ages ...."I'm just glued to this page but its like watching a foreign movie .................. Without subtitles" Posted Image

• Like 4