IGNORED

Your ideal climate?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All of these climates have cold enough winters to sustain a snow pack, but not too cold, with temperatures below -20C being uncommon. Summers are warm but not hot, but hot periods are common during July, more common than here, and they are typically sunnier than the vast majority of places in the UK and they get more storms than here. Basically what I would call a moderate four-season climate.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

Climate like Canary islands or Thailand, Caribbean, ect.. so tropical or subtropical climate, hot and never ever cold.

Edited by JK1
  • Like 2

Posted

Warm summers like 2006/2003 with warmth to late September/early October. Winters to have snow, ideally from late November to late February. A wet March and mild April and May.

That would be perfect for me! Any countries who have this?

Edited by nn2013
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

One indigenous to where I livePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Im with Cheese on that lol.

Edited by joggs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_city#Climate

This minus the scary tornadoes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The climate at about 600m in the northern Pennines.

• Like 3

Posted

This is an easy one for me. I would choose Victoria, British Columbia, Vancouver Island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria,_British_Columbia#Climate

I like living by the coast, and being a gardener I like the "English" climate for temperatures. The only thing I dont like about the UK weather, even down here on the South Coast, is the lack of reliably sunny & dry weather in July and August. Give me that and I think here would be perfect. 

Thats what Victoria has. Most of the wet stuff comes between November and February when it doesn't matter for outdoor activity and when it produces maximum benefit for storage purposes.

If I had to make a very close second choice I would go back to my home town of Perth, Western Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth,_Western_Australia

In many ways the pattern is the same with all the rain falling in the winter months BUT the maximum temperatures here are about 10-12 C higher all year round. This would make gardening a rather different prospect for me - certainly the "English" style I like would be compromised if not rendered utterly impossible but having grown up there it truly is a magnificent climate in every other way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

An easy one for me - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Malta

• [*]Around 3,000 hours of sunshine per year [*]Winters are mild with only rare occurrences of cold weather brought by north and northeast winds from central Europe. In fact, daytime winter temperatures almost never fall below 10ºC (50ºF), while night-time winter temperatures never fall below 0ºC (32ºF [*]Summers are warm, dry and very sunny. The weather usually shows signs of warming up in April, heralding in a long spell of hot, dry weather. It rarely rains from April to August [*]Annual rainfall in Malta is rather low - approximately 600mm (24 inches)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've often thought along the lines of Munich, but the climate stats for Munich given at Wikipedia relate to a station that is over 500m above sea level, and the area around Munich varies considerably in altitude from north to south.

I'd probably opt for somewhere a bit further south at around 300m, which would probably add about 1.5C to the temperatures (thus an average max of 3C in January, rising to 24-25C in July and August) and result in higher sunshine and lower rainfall totals, but otherwise quite similar climate stats to the ones given.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich#Climate

I don't think my "ideal" climate exists in the world because I prefer continental-style summers but like some exposure to "cold air, warm sea" sunshine and snow showers style scenarios in winter- this is the one area where Munich would fall down.  The Great Lakes of the USA are not as obvious a candidate as one might think, because the "lake effect snow machine" shuts off during mid to late winter and early spring when the lakes freeze over, and the summers (mean max in the high, rather than mid, 20s in most places) would probably be rather on the hot and humid side.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
A four season climate with lots of sunshine- about 150 hrs in winter months to 350 hrs in summer months. Not too cold in winter and not too hot in summer. No more than 100 days with rain during the year.

Maritime junk like low cloud, featureless overcast skies, fog, light rain and drizzle should be practically unheard of.

Not found anywhere that looks perfect but Sandpoint, Idaho looks a good match.

July and August mean maxima a little hot but the nights look nice and cool. Good amounts of snow likely in winter but months on end of continuous cover unlikely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A four season climate with lots of sunshine- about 150 hrs in winter months to 350 hrs in summer months. Not too cold in winter and not too hot in summer. No more than 100 days with rain during the year.

Maritime junk like low cloud, featureless overcast skies, fog, light rain and drizzle should be practically unheard of.

Not found anywhere that looks perfect but Sandpoint, Idaho looks a good match.

July and August mean maxima a little hot but the nights look nice and cool. Good amounts of snow likely in winter but months on end of continuous cover unlikely.

Your link only works for authorized users only

• Like 1

Posted

And the worst:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongqing

Vile climate. Winters that would bore me to death, 10C and cloudy for months with hardly any frost or sunshine. Summers just oppressive, you couldn't enjoy the heat because of all the rain and uncomfortably warm nights. March, April and October have OK temperatures but for some reason next to no sun- at the latitude of Cairo.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The climate in the Scottish highlands would be ideal for me, with long dark cold winters. Although at my altitude being just over 300m and isolated im happy to see snow every year, and temps below -10 are common during the winter months..

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismarck,_North_Dakota‎

I would not mind the climate of that place. Long cold winters and hot summers. Im not too mad about summer heat but i do like a variable climate,i like the seasons to be seasonal and i would get that at that place.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

I would like Reykjavik, Iceland.  Basically cold/cool all year round whilst very mild and hot weather are virtually non existent.  Posted Image  Posted Image

Edited by Craig Evans
  • Like 1

Posted

I actually don't mind the climate here, although I would prefer to be further inland. Away from the threat of north sea cloud, but still in the influence of any north sea showers in the winter. Don't like it too cold for too long or too hot for too long so i'm fairly happy. Besides the weather in the UK always keeps us interested!