Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted

Hi NL,Found a Dead young Bullock in the field at the bottom of our garden yesterday.It's lying in the reeds at the bottom of a wee slope in to a marshy bit and it's neck is resting over a lage boulder.Didn't notice it there on Friday or Saturday!The farm was taken over about a year or so past and the number which I have does not work anymore?Any advice?Big Innes

Hi Big Innes

Try to note its ear tag number especially the bit begining UK........... Its Herd Number.

Then phone the local N.F.U. office  (National Farmers Union) or nearest  Livestock Auction Mart with the UK number and they should be able to get the holding of origin address plus phone number.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Hi NL,Found a Dead young Bullock in the field at the bottom of our garden yesterday.It's lying in the reeds at the bottom of a wee slope in to a marshy bit and it's neck is resting over a lage boulder.Didn't notice it there on Friday or Saturday!The farm was taken over about a year or so past and the number which I have does not work anymore?Any advice?Big Innes  Hi Big Innes Try to note its ear tag number especially the bit begining UK........... Its Herd Number.  Then phone the local N.F.U. office  (National Farmers Union) or nearest  Livestock Auction Mart with the UK number and they should be able to get the holding of origin address plus phone number.

Cheers NL,I will give that a try when I get home from work!Big InnesOh aye,It's nice out by the way!!!

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Warm but cloudy here, roll on proper autumn. It all starts now (now that we're post-equinox) Posted Image

yip hopefully the fun starts early this year.

don't want to jinx this winter or that but I have a sneak funny feeling we might get something really good this year.

Posted

I'd settle for a couple of months of wet, stormy weather and then winter to start about the third week of December, last until late February before a gentle, warm spring. I don't ask for much, do I?

seems like a reasonable request to me.

i'm gonna do some hard digging into things in the next couple of weeks as I know there has been some recent model updates going for early heights around Greenland and iceland and I think they might be on to something I just have a funny feeling we could get a 2010 hit again

should probably add why I think that.

I think our cold could be put down to early ice advance and snow cover and I hear all these people saying about this as concern to developing an SSW but I really think there missing out on something as I think the early ice advance and snow cover is what we might need to give the cold an early kick up the bum for it to make the travel down here as it cant be a coincidence that the two years we had really good early advance in sea ice more so than the snow cover is the two winters we had deep cold over the uk

this year the ice has started its comeback already and we are way ahead in snow cover with good 850's forecast this should advance over the next week so we will wait to see how things go this year.

if this turns out that we do see a correlation this could be a really good tool to try and gauge through September and start of October what we might see in the following winter.

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

A'noon all. Another cloudy day here and 14.9c but pleasant enough working in the garden.

You may be correct in your assumptions BUS as the current signals appear to point that way. We all know how these can change very quickly though.

I have included this link for folks to view and have the current stats explained. I quite like looking at this guy's blog as he just tells it like it is and doesn't attempt to turn it into a long range forecast.   The October one is due out next week, so we will see if there has been any changes........  

http://kasimsweatherwatcher.com/winter-forecast-201314/

• Like 4

Posted

just seen this on news and thought I would post it as never seen this before a 7.7 magnitude earthquake inland in Pakistan has caused an island to emerge from the ocean off the coast

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/24/world/asia/pakistan-earthquake/index.html

• Like 2

Posted

Dull dreich day today with only brief bright spells,very humid with almost a thundery looking sky and a maximum of 18c. NE wind kept low cloud coming in off the sea.

Harvest tidied up today with last of round bales home.

Posted

11.3c here and just yuk!

post-1989-0-40003500-1380106982.txt

• Like 1

Posted

Actually we have a classic arctic air clearance from the NE going on here this morning with much fresher air after  a very humid few days. Clear blue skies with some small shower cumulus are visible over the Firth. A frosty night may follow according to Met Office followed by a warm up again

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Bit of a rather damp drizzly start to the day, then drier and actually not too bad :))

Hoping for a dry week next week as i'm off for the week :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Chilly and clear start to today, sky is rammed with contrails. Felt a lot colder overnight too. 

Edging toward the car windscreen scraping and demanding Breaking Bad style recipes from SS for car windscreen washers..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Well, it wasnt a full winter scrape of ice of the car, but there was ice when i used the squeegee (is that how its spelled?) to clear the screen. Very fresh and clear air but with a fair bit of cloud still. Love mornings like this! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I missed out on having to scrape the windscreen at 8am but my wife who left an hour earlier had to I'm sure. Car temp showed 3 deg when I started out so that's the scraper and bottle of de-icer back in the car now until the spring. The cold start does mean it's a lovely, bright morning though and I'll take that any day compared to yesterday's murk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Not sure how cold it was first thing but there was a nip in the air when I was hopping on my feet whilst the dog relieved himself at 5am!!

Currently some sun with some cloud and 8C. 

Edited by over_the_rainbow
  • Like 2

Posted

Much better day today than most of this week. Beautiful blue sky morning which has deteriorated with the approach of east central's resident cloud! 13.3c. Didn't see any frost early this morning as I was happed up in bed. (dog had me up at 4.30am too!)

post-1989-0-70040300-1380197854.txt

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Not sure how cold it was first thing but there was a nip in the air when I was hopping on my feet whilst the dog relieved himself at 5am!!

Currently some sun with some cloud and 8C. 

Lets hope it gets cold enough to make doggy wee icicles this winter (poor dog)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Lets hope it gets cold enough to make doggy wee icicles this winter (poor dog)

Poor boy I wouldn't wish that on him lol! Posted Image

12C now and looking like being pretty cloudy and nondescript for the next few days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Well been under grey cloudy nothing weather everywhere I've been for the last week. Headed back up to Inverness today from northern England and saw a hint of blue to the north near Dumfries but that's all it stayed - a tease in the north all day, running before me!

Some more interesting weather of any description now would be good, especially a few sunny bits cos the hills are taking on some excellent shades, as are some trees.  Could be a good autumn for colours after all the summer's growth.

• Like 3

Posted

I might not've been paying attention all the time, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the sun since Sunday. Definitely an enormous comedown from spending most of summer 'working' of some sort in France and much worse than my previous memories of the West of Scotland's climate - we might get lots of bad weather here but blue sky never feels too far away!

Edited by Harve

Posted

Evening all from a rather damp Bonnybridge, not really been great weather since I got back from Hong Kong apart from a few days across the border. Looking forward to a wee dry spell as grass needs a last good cut before the tools are retired for winter.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all. Beautifully sunny it is too although I don't think that it will last much longer by the look of the cloud rolling in!

post-1989-0-85722300-1380356005.txt

11.3c with a NNW wind.

• Like 1

Posted

Oh gosh, it's................. cloudy again. Wrist-slittingly boring weather continues.  Half a promise of sun tomorrow but I'll believe when I see it.

• Like 1

Posted

How's this for cloud HC? yesterday's time lapse video: Oops sorry didn't work! Actually it has turned into quite a nice day here 17.1c. The expected cloud cover didn't materialise as expected and has thinned out. Was going to do my ironing but sod that! Going out to do some gardening instead.

http://www.fifeweather.co.uk/index.php/weathercam

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted

How's this for cloud HC? yesterday's time lapse video: Oops sorry didn't work! Actually it has turned into quite a nice day here 17.1c. The expected cloud cover didn't materialise as expected and has thinned out. Was going to do my ironing but sod that! Going out to do some gardening instead.

http://www.fifeweather.co.uk/index.php/weathercam

Yes it sort of brightened up a bit here too although not enough for shadows.  Spent the afternoon in the garden too, got the young HCs busy in useful ways; looking forward to planting more fruit trees and bushes soon.

Ironing? Posted Image

• Like 1