Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I take it that the absence of comments here is something to do with the boring weather...Posted Image

Seems to be just mild and cloudy recently - and with September fast approaching, the heat has gone now. 

Posted

I take it that the absence of comments here is something to do with the boring weather...Posted Image

Seems to be just mild and cloudy recently - and with September fast approaching, the heat has gone now. 

I often refer to this time of the year as the dog days of summer as it is usually  warm, dull, calm, humid and not conducive to physical work outside with a lot of biting insects still on the go. Much prefer a fresh westerly wind and a cool fresh start to the day in September.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A fresh Westerly breeze here certainly this afternoon but not cool at 18.4C. Cloudy with just an odd spit and spot on the wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A fresh Westerly breeze here certainly this afternoon but not cool at 18.4C. Cloudy with just an odd spit and spot on the wind.

Unsurprisingly it's similar here. Was quite nice and sunny up until an hour or two ago but now it's clouded over and the breeze has increased. That sets us up for a weekend forecast that looks cool and breezy, before it warms up a bit again on Monday & Tuesday. Typical!

Posted

Well all change this afternoon as wind got up to fresh to strong gusts and  left the  neat rows of straw left by the combine  evenly spread across the fields. It will certainly dry more evenly now but will all have to be raked up so a bit of expense added. Very warm wind at a maximum of 22c.   Pleased all the barley was cut in these exposed fields as we woud have lost some heads today. A burst of rain this evening has left it feeling cooler and fresher. Currently10c

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Definitely pattern changes afoot, the scrambled warped scandi high on the latest ECM run tells a tale of transition. Autumn firmly on the way and you get the feeling it is in the mood to dispatch summer quite quickly.

Certainly the coolest and freshest its been for a while this evening, decent daylight ebbing away.

Hurricane season has a couple of invests plotted for Atlantic now, also MJO vacating the Maritimes, both indicative of a 'stuck ' pattern becoming more mobile.

Looking forward to Autumn now as we did get something of a summer, also be nice to track in a good old fashioned dartboard low .

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all, boy has it got cold all of a sudden. Just back fir picking up kids for scouts and car reading 9... Posted Image  Heating on for the first time in nearly 4 months.

Had a bit of a James Herrirot week this week. Monday we rescued a wee House Martin that fell from it's nest, Wednesday was a call to RSPCA for a disease with wings caught in the enclosed space outside my office, then today a call to local farmer as one of his cows started delivery of wee calf while kids waiting for the school bus. (NL I assume this is too early to be calfing?)

What is next week going to hold weatherwise? Off to Liverpool on Monday, golf at Kingsbarnes on Tuesday, airshow on Saturday then Hong Kong via Dubai on Sunday for 10 days.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all, boy has it got cold all of a sudden. Just back fir picking up kids for scouts and car reading 9... Posted Image  Heating on for the first time in nearly 4 months.

Had a bit of a James Herrirot week this week. Monday we rescued a wee House Martin that fell from it's nest, Wednesday was a call to RSPCA for a disease with wings caught in the enclosed space outside my office, then today a call to local farmer as one of his cows started delivery of wee calf while kids waiting for the school bus. (NL I assume this is too early to be calfing?)

What is next week going to hold weatherwise? Off to Liverpool on Monday, golf at Kingsbarnes on Tuesday, airshow on Saturday then Hong Kong via Dubai on Sunday for 10 days.Posted Image

No not too early for calving for Autumn calving herds which you would try to calve outside before the end of October (cleaner  and more bug free) and then house for winter. We had a heifer(first calf ) calve while we were combining two days ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Think my prediction about the atmosphere not kicking on until there was a Hurricane from a couple of weeks back is carrying some weight now.

A couple of invest in the Atlantic , one with a chance of a tropical depression status in 6 days marries up well with the MJO pulling out of dormancy and the extra tropics being owned by weak Kelvin wave action.

MJO kicking through the maritimes is like an ignition paper for upper level divergence, a cheeky wheelspin of African equatorial waves which will ignite tropical season, the following pacific action killing the wave 3 anchor across the hemispher and heralding a more mobile pattern. It's weird writing on the forum where winter north south divide is so very different from summer. The south hanging onto some good ridging and reasonable uppers.

One major standout from the dogs breakfast ECM of the scrambled Scandi high for +144 next week is the Greenland Tip.

There is a wee hint that what caused the trough disruption of winters past is a good 300 miles further east this year. If this is so and the atmosphere want to ghost this synoptic, without Stratospheric influence, whereby this year is a weak analog, then we are looking at a strongly mobile winter.

Caveat is that this is just an early autumn read on seeing the trough disruption in FI, and for a good idea ahead we need to see the atmosphere base pattern ( strongly a drop in trough right now ) and shredding of systems... AFTER this MJO phase.. So November 05 12 GWO and MJO will be predictor of winter 13 -14, anything before that has some mighty guesswork. This year a late read, odds on no SSW influence, Brewer Dobson annihalated in summer , ozone transport delayed. at a guess now late feb / march again. with a zonal winter. until the 05th week November cannot tell

Rant over !

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Lorenzo I canny understand half of that post but it sounds exciting! I'm excited  LOL Posted Image  Does it mean YAAAAAY SNAW!! .....?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Lorenzo I canny understand half of that post but it sounds exciting! I'm excited  LOL Posted Image  Does it mean YAAAAAY SNAW!! .....?

Get ready for a good blow, batten down the hatches, hold on tight, summat like that could be the message...

Damn windy today, white horses on the firth and leaves on the trees getting shredded. 

(Got a picture in my head of NL chasing round a field of straw with a rake Posted Image )

• Like 3

Posted

Get ready for a good blow, batten down the hatches, hold on tight, summat like that could be the message...

Damn windy today, white horses on the firth and leaves on the trees getting shredded. 

(Got a picture in my head of NL chasing round a field of straw with a rake Posted Image )

A really frustrating day with gale force gusts and absolutely no hope of baling the last field of straw as just the baler pick up touching it sends it into the air and then into another field. Got most of it baled yesterday but every inch had to be raked up. Being up on top of the hill makes us very exposed great for making hay but barley is vulnerable when ripe . Good job we are 75% cut with the most exposed fields done. Combines were going till after midnight last night in this area.

Weaning calves from cows today so they are all very happy inside the steading.

Dust everywhere too reminding us of the dustorms in mid April. Grass shrivelling as well as ground dries up even more and neeps wilting.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

Aye it's a fair old blustery day out there. Wind rushing through the chimney pots in the tenements. Not heard that in a few months - nice.

Posted

Still chasing it with a rake but sweating a lot currently 20c. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Still chasing it with a rake but sweating a lot currently 20c. 

Pah, that's nothing, currently 24c here in Dyce. Quite crackers really, especially as it was so chilly yesterday morning in the house that I turned the heating back on for the first time for probably nearly 3 months. Pretty breezy here too this morning but at least that's moving some air through our office, which otherwise would be sweltering.

Posted

Back in NE Fife after attending a wedding in Northern Ireland. Sunny and very breezy here at 23c. 25c in Aberdeen I see! 

Am on holiday today and tomorrow and the weather looks good!

Posted

Very mild humid windy day with a maximum of 22c.Wind went down about 5.00pm so got contractors baler back to bale last field with rake going in front, one round of the field and it broke down. Better luck tomorrow.

Photo of last field of straw nicely spread out by the wind to dry.post-2744-0-60906000-1378153397_thumb.jp

On the positive side another heifer calved on her own producing a nice bull (boy) calf so today had some successes.

I see in the photo the deciduous trees seem to be turning to their autumn colours fast. The very dry ground will be causing this.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted

Lovely morning in NE Fife, 21c at 11am and though still breezy not as windy as yesterday, with more sunshine. Off out to the garden shortly as I'm on holiday today!

August ended up with 128 hours of sun (Leuchars figures) so well below average and in fact less sunny than last August (131 hours). Overall the summer came in below average here in terms of sunshine, but after the last 6 years you'll hear no complaints from me! August was also dry with only 20mm of rainfall.

Posted

Warm humid sunny and windy with a maximum of 23c.Fantastic harvest day some photos showing the dust a tight squeeze and the blue skies and also the final strip of barley for harvest  2013 post-2744-0-33188300-1378229616_thumb.jppost-2744-0-71804000-1378229626_thumb.jppost-2744-0-65589600-1378229642_thumb.jppost-2744-0-85944200-1378229693_thumb.jp

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Very mild humid windy day with a maximum of 22c.Wind went down about 5.00pm so got contractors baler back to bale last field with rake going in front, one round of the field and it broke down. Better luck tomorrow.

Photo of last field of straw nicely spread out by the wind to dry.Posted Image20130902_03.JPG

On the positive side another heifer calved on her own producing a nice bull (boy) calf so today had some successes.

I see in the photo the deciduous trees seem to be turning to their autumn colours fast. The very dry ground will be causing this.

The colours are supposed to be fantastic this year because of the dryness:)

Posted

ECM shows a possible quick rebuild of high next week, could be quite warm!

post-16399-0-51877600-1378281113_thumb.g

Edited by tempestwatch

Posted

ECM shows a possible quick rebuild of high next week, could be quite warm!

If this came to fruition and given the current uncertainty in the models, could this be a rather cloudy high in Scotland given the air flow is from the mid Atlantic?