Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

'ey up - summer's over and the BleakMidwinter returns to the Kilted threads, with hopes of a decent autumn and winter... Hope you all had nice summers - mine was a damn sight too hot, and a damn sight too 'interesting' (in the Chinese curse sense of the word...) but now it's September, it's no longer summer and if you want incontrovertible proof that it's no longer summer, I'm wearing a nice woolly jumper again at long last, hurrah! :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

'ey up - summer's over and the BleakMidwinter returns to the Kilted threads, with hopes of a decent autumn and winter... 

Hope you all had nice summers - mine was a damn sight too hot, and a damn sight too 'interesting' (in the Chinese curse sense of the word...) 

but now it's September, it's no longer summer and if you want incontrovertible proof that it's no longer summer, I'm wearing a nice woolly jumper again at long last, hurrah! Posted Image

Eyoop BMW, you got your winter rubber on yet?

• Like 1

Posted

On what, my bicycle?! :) If it snows, I just switch to shanks' pony to get me around... but then I don't live out in Easter Snowness like some of you do - still remember SS's excellent snow-driving vids from last year with envy!Mind you, I have just cast on to knit the second of a pair of nice cosy woolly socks. the BMW-knitwear machine is cranking into action, yet another sign of impending colder weather! (Nice location line of yours, btw :) )

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

After a mainly sunny day now cloudy with a rain shower.

13.2C after a max of 15.3C. Min was 6 C last night?

My daughter was up in the hills near the Sma Glen doing her Duke of Edinburgh hike and came through hail and thunder yesterday followed by a cold clear night with a touch of frost. Today was much better though for them.

Posted

Went round some of the second cut grass today and it illustrates the unusual growing season we have had.The red clover hardly came because of the cold spring for the first cut  but after the first cut it took over because of its deep roots and the heat it needs as the photos show.Hopfully there will be enough in the second cut to see us through the winter.post-2744-0-52831300-1378670554_thumb.jppost-2744-0-32071300-1378670575_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Posted

Bright-overcast and 10C in Sth Suburban Embra today. NL, our garden is practically in need of therapy after the year it's had, hasn't known whether to grow or flower or fruit or die back or what. Plants we always have to gently coax have rampaged wildly, and long-established perennials have got nasty die-back... it's a Very Confused Gairden, if you ask me! 

• Like 1

Posted

Cool night last night, managed to stop the wife putting on the heating. Nice dry day, light winds.

Posted

Another fine sunny day after a cool start 5c at 5.00am when I watched twin heifer calvespost-2744-0-70603100-1378750630_thumb.jp being born to be followed by another bull calf born in the afternoon. Spent the day getting all calves onto their mothers properly.

Managed to pick a lot of veg and fruit in between times in the garden.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Sometimes I wish I'd followed my mother's side and got into farming, especially with NL's current feelgood posts. And especially when my current work gets me to midge hell without a net or DEET and no escape for six hours. It was seriously desperate today, I nearly had to run away but I would have had to swim as well and that put me off. I heard somewhere that they used to chain miscreants naked to a rock in the middle of Loch Moy and leave them there to starve with only midges for company.

• Like 2

Posted

Sometimes I wish I'd followed my mother's side and got into farming, especially with NL's current feelgood posts. And especially when my current work gets me to midge hell without a net or DEET and no escape for six hours. It was seriously desperate today, I nearly had to run away but I would have had to swim as well and that put me off. I heard somewhere that they used to chain miscreants naked to a rock in the middle of Loch Moy and leave them there to starve with only midges for company.

Well I am telling everyone I see just now that this summer will repair some of the damage of the last six wet summers and that I am almost a happy farmer. Visited my retired last employee  tonight and he asked me what would make me completely happy and I said the 2014 summer to be the same as this one weatherwise. The last  six wet summers have taken their toll on us in terms of crop and stock output.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

That storm is looking very tasty for next week although everything looks upin the air atm!

Posted

The further north you are the more likely you are to get a whumping. The GFS is keen on it being further north while the ECM brings it south a bit more. There should be better agreement soon Posted Image

Sick bag at the ready fro my flight hame on Sunday night then? Just looked at the charts and it does look a wee bit blowy for Sunday and Monday.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Been damp and dreich up here for the past few days and there's a definite autumnal feel now. Love it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Just for fun? But i think winters coming!?post-18260-0-58056900-1378938462_thumb.jpost-18260-0-68744500-1378938446_thumb.jpost-18260-0-95252000-1378938429_thumb.jpost-18260-0-34469300-1378938406_thumb.j

Posted

AUTUMN’S first snow and gales have brought a cold and soggy end to weeks of warm weather.

After the hottest summer since 2006, chilly temperatures, rain and wind are now the seasonal norm. The Cairngorm mountains in Scotland even had their first dusting of snow yesterday, with more expected on both sides of the border in the coming days.
Temperatures in other parts of the UK will struggle to climb above 50F (10C) for much of next week. But it may not be time to pack away the barbecue gear just yet, as long-range forecasters predict there is a chance of a short Indian summer at the end of September. In the meantime, the Met Office warned that cold, nasty weather was on its way.

Forecaster Lindsay Mears said: “Low pressure from Iceland means cloud, rain and strong winds will move south across all areas from Sunday, with severe gales a risk. “It will be cool, with chilly nights and further spells of rain in midweek.†Wintry showers and snow ­were possible in high regions of Scotland. She added: “But there could be good news for the end of the month with the blustery grey skies turning blue again. “It looks settled later in September and probably quite settled into October, with temperatures close to or a little above average and feeling pleasant in the sunshine.†Low pressure from Iceland means cloud, rain and strong winds will move south across all areas from Sunday, with severe gales a risk

Fellow forecaster Craig Snell agreed, saying: “It’s going to get warm again with many places, including London, seeing temperatures in the mid-20s centigrade (upper 70s F). It will be feeling quite pleasant but not reaching the dizzy heights we saw in the summer.†Jonathan Powell, from Vantage Weather ­Services, said: “Things will be considerably colder with a wintry edge but there’s a chance we will get mid-autumn warmth later in October.†After last week’s mini-heatwave hit 86F, the summer was washed away by dramatic floods and hail storms at the weekend.

Sixty people were evacuated from their homes in Redcar, North ­Yorkshire, as flash floods hit parts of the North. Two drivers had to ­abandon their cars as they were swept away in the floods, which also washed away part of a bridge. At the other end of the country, parts of Falmouth in Cornwall turned white due to a massive hailstorm. And the weekend saw the country’s first frost as temperatures in Aboyne in Aberdeenshire, and Redessdale Camp in Northumberland, plunged to just below freezing.

Britain basked in 588 hours of sunshine this summer, making it the seventh sunniest since records began in 1929
Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Well, I was hoping to leave thegarden furniture out a while longer but I think that I will bring it in on Saturday after I have harvested my tatties! That storm looks a beastie with a slightly wintery feel at height. Not that we have not had big storms before at this time of year but they have mostly been old hurricane cores that have brought mild air from the mid/south Atlantic, this one will be a real taste of Autumn.

Still one last chance towards the end of September to enjoy the sun lounger (unless the wife catches me) :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Not posted for ages. Weather just plain. Awaiting snaw now.

However, got sent this today and thought of the Kilted thread, especially those from the NE.

Doric Dictionary from RGU.

RGU_Doric_Dictionary1.pdf

post-9421-0-53296200-1378994805_thumb.pn

• Like 8

Posted

Very  warm humid morning but dull with a maximum of 18c . Just clouded over with heavy rain now falling adding to the sombre mood as I have man flu according to the family. Another calf born this morning in the field now bouncing around. Hard to catch to tag and mum was a bit grumpy Good  job we had the tractor betewen her and the calf   Will need mums warm milk over the week end I think.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

SS - proper quality.

I hope you have employed Scorcese this year to track the tyre adventures.

PS Remember to include further French Expletives the residents liked that !

• Like 1

Posted

heavy rain now falling adding to the sombre mood as I have man flu according to the family.

Oh no! I didn't think farmers were allowed to get man flu... I hope you survive this dangerous and serious malady... Steady rain here, and dark enough to need the lights on at 7am. Very autumnal-feeling :D

• Like 1