Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion16th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

It has been yet another lovely day. Cloud well broken early morning (well 9am lol) and improved to sun all day, feeling the effects of sitting out for 2 hours this afternoon!.

It was so nice to enjoy the outdoors all day again, this is the life!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Quiet today !! Guess everyone is oot in the Sun.

Another fine, dry, warm, sunny afternoon, Breeze picking up a bit today though. Am happy to be in the Garden listening to Latitude Festival and not in the office !

Looks like it is all about to go bang too.. Hopefully enough energy to give us the odd storm, looks like our neighbours are going to get spoiled..

Posted

Drab and cool here today, no sunshine. Cloudy but no proper haar. Despite the sun yesterday afternoon a disappointing weekend after a tremendously sunny and very warm working week.

Forecast for the upcoming week is uninspiring which is bad timing as I have some time off work and young nephews visiting.

Posted

Took a while but been another wonderful sunny day not overly hot today too which is good but the breeze is picking up again which may well be a sign of things to come

Posted

Feel your pain Hawesy ! Looks like normal service well and truly resumed shortly. Has been an exceptional spell of weather. 

Posted

Car thermometer was up at 30c near Forres an hour ago but at home we have 28c and a fresh to strong SSE wind which is really devastating grass and crops especially lower down on the coastal plain. Must be descending wind off the Cairngorms . Was "nt expecting it to be so windy today.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Drab and cool here today, no sunshine. Cloudy but no proper haar. Despite the sun yesterday afternoon a disappointing weekend after a tremendously sunny and very warm working week.

Forecast for the upcoming week is uninspiring which is bad timing as I have some time off work and young nephews visiting.

Exactly the same down here...Although it has cleared now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

It became hot here today, just under 30'C, feels Mediterranean out there!

• Like 1

Posted

Sunshine all day but a bit breezier. I think haar was more of a problem on the coast today but IMBY it has been a sunny weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

33 C earlier here in Le Havre. Hot like.

Just arrived and 'Belle-mere' SS had cold beer and a fine meal prepared. Quality. If I was 30 years older...

Off to Brittany on Tuesday. Wee yin looking forward to be beach. Looks to be cooler/more bearable with a chance of thunderstorms at times though. As long as we get a few sunny beach days I'll be happy!

Posted

33 C earlier here in Le Havre. Hot like.

Just arrived and 'Belle-mere' SS had cold beer and a fine meal prepared. Quality. If I was 30 years older...

Off to Brittany on Tuesday. Wee yin looking forward to be beach. Looks to be cooler/more bearable with a chance of thunderstorms at times though. As long as we get a few sunny beach days I'll be happy!

That's nae Scotland...Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

That's nae Scotland...Posted Image

As I said, I'm en route to Brittany where they wear kilts, play bagpipes and speak Gaelic.

Close enough?

Posted Image

Posted

As I said, I'm en route to Brittany where they wear kilts, play bagpipes and speak Gaelic.

Close enough?

Posted Image

Is é sin gu math, mar sin!Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Car thermometer was up at 30c near Forres an hour ago but at home we have 28c and a fresh to strong SSE wind which is really devastating grass and crops especially lower down on the coastal plain. Must be descending wind off the Cairngorms . Was "nt expecting it to be so windy today.

Will remember today almost 30c on our 30th wedding aniversary(3 life sentences according to Mrs Northernlights) went to Hopemen beach for picnic lunch(16c there with an  onshore wind bliss)  then down to local pub for a drink outside in the evening and then dined al fresco on the slabs outside  the north facing  back door about an hour ago with a fantastic sunsetpost-2744-0-94929500-1374441259_thumb.jp to round off the day. Weather was almost as good in July 83. The sky today with its wisps of very high cloud and vivid blue reminded of the school cruise I went on in the seventies to the Meditteranean countries of Spain Portugal and Morocco. Fantastic for Scotland!!!!

A final photopost-2744-0-06624300-1374444320_thumb.jp of the view to the north at 11.00pm

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Is é sin gu math, mar sin!Posted Image

Abair Gaidhlig a Phete! 'S math a rinn thu! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Great weather continues, but no for much longer. Burnt face and tanned. Hopefully still tanned enough in a few weeks' time 'afore I head off to Panama on hols  Posted Image

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hello everyone, it's been far too long since I last stopped in, I think probably during that exceptionally cold and easterly dominated spring which feels like years ago.

Maximum temperature on the weather station this year is the highest I've seen since we bought it in 2009 at 31.7C on the 9th July closely followed by 31.6C when I was away on holiday on the 19th (which corroborates pretty reasonably with the 29.7C recorded at Cupar on the same day, the highest temperature in Scotland).

Fortunately/unfortunately I've been in marginally cooler but equally sunny climes for most of the month, touring around Germany and Austria by train. We got a typical Alpine thunderstorm the day before our flight back in St Anton which cooled things down but otherwise it was spectacular weather for sightseeing and a bit of hillwalking.

I'm also in the process of moving into my new flat on Chapel Street which is a sloth's dream - a 2 minute walk to lectures or the bus out to KB and within 10 minutes of all the food and alcohol vendors you could ever needPosted Image

Anyway, the inevitable transition to cooler and more typically Scottish weather might be quite a bit of fun if you like downpours and thunderstorms, as I do on occasion, with Tuesday afternoon/evening in the south and Thursday for most of the country holding the most convective potential as the Atlantic finally manages to break down the limpet high which has graced our latitude with its presence in the last few weeks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This change, which today's cooler, cloudier respite from the east/northeast hinted at, comes courtesy of a flip to a 2012-esque phase of the NAO i.e. negative:

Posted Image

Some settled and potentially still pretty warm weather to come still, moreso in the northeast where the high will exert significant influence through the week still and where the battleground plumes responsible for the thundery weather just heading into the southwest will be found, but generally the trend is towards a lowering of heights, an increase in precipitation (from effectively 0) and a lowering of temperatures from the giddy heights of last week.

LS

• Like 8

Posted

A dreich start to the day, nice and grey and misty rain.

Good spot from Matt H. Tomorrow Fax chart looking explosive 2 big fat fronts trailing across the country. Hopefully each will be adorned with a line of fat  joulesy thunderstorms!

post-7292-0-75843500-1374480956_thumb.gi

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just back from 2 weeks hold with the caravan in NW Scotland. When we decided on that it was always going to be a gamble weather wise with "as long as it stays reasonably dry we'll be happy" being the thought. What we got was, although not as good as most have had, simply stunning!

We arrived in Fort William on the afternoon of 6th July to a typical welcome i.e. warm and sunny at Laggan but becoming progressively greyer and duller the further west we drove along Glen Spean. Got some light rain that evening, as if Fort William was just making sure we knew we were in Fort William. After that though the days stayed dry, and it warmed up nicely to around the mid 20s at times. Certainly warm enough to be sitting outside until late evening. In fact, of all the times I've been to Fort William I've never know it to be so warm and/or dry.

The warm dry weather continued when we moved to Morven mid-week, before eventually becoming a bit cooler, with coastal mist/fog in the mornings. We even had to wait 1.5hrs the morning we went over to Mull for the fog to clear enough for the Lochaline ferry to run. That was a real eery trip, crossing in swirling mist across a millpond-like Sound of Mull. Even although it did cool off for a few days, relatively speaking, it was still pleasant enough for shorts, or at worse light trousers, to be worn most of the time and the dry theme continued.

The last port of call was Ullapool, where the, again relatively, cooler theme continued, but with a sometimes rather strong breeze (although I think this was exacerbated by the exposed position of the site we were staying in at Ardmair). By the end of our second week however the warm weather reached the NE, clearing the low grey cloud away and giving us a hot, cloudless last 2 or 3 days. On Sat 20th we went out for a short walk just inland of Ullapool a bit and the cars temperature gauge was showing 26degC. Frankly that was just too hot to walk in comfortably and we retreated to Ullapool for ice creams & slushies and for the dog to take a much needed cooling off swim in the sea. Even I went for a short swim in the sea off Ardmair on returning to the site. It's a long time since I've swam in the sea off Scotland and I can tell you that despite the air temperature the sea was *bleep bleep* cold once past about knee depth!

The added bonus of all the sun was an almost total lack of the dreaded midge, although the clegs/horseflies were out in force up around Ullapool at the end of the second week.

We had a really fantastic 2 weeks away and the great weather had a very significant part to play in that. Had it been cool, wet and windy I think we'd have been desperate to come home but we really, really didn't want to have to come home yesterday! If we could only get this sort of weather every summer I'd never holiday anywhere else but Scotland. Been years sine I was in Ullapool and I won't leave it so long again, the whole area is just stunning and there's just so many fantastic looking hills there I'm now desperate to go back to climb.

Oh well, back to work and back to reality today. Nice pleasant sunny day here in Dyce currently, with the temperature around 18degC at noon. Not spectacular but nothing to complain about either.

In reality we could do with the rain forecast for later in the week as the countryside coming down the A96 from Inverness yesterday was looking noticeably dry. My garden on the other hand, which was kindly watered by our neighbors, has done it's usual holiday transformation from relatively neat to jungle. The small radishes of 2 weeks ago (I'd picked everything bigger) morphed into huge monsters almost the size of turnips and had to be pulled and chucked. Lettuce and salad leave crops are coming on well though, as is some of the other stuff despite a late start to planting this year.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 7

Posted
Popped this image in the convective thread, lifted from the Met Office Vid Below.

Very enticing forecast for this breakdown and the heat going out with a bang. Looking quite favourable for a decent show into the evening and even overnight Tuesday > Wednesday.

post-7292-0-09594000-1374505732_thumb.pn

Convective thread here if you wish to join the rampede!!

• Like 1

Posted

A bit late bit just noticed the weather watch from the meto now covers the majority of Scotland tomorrow and Wednesday. Tuesday night looking very interesting!!

• Like 1

Posted

Absolutely pishing it down! Not heard that sound for a while! Not much on the radar but really coming down!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just back at chez HC this evening and jolly pleasant it is too.  We were a bit scared that when we looked over the brow from Culloden that the firth would be full of haar but it's not, just some nice evening sun and upper teens temps.  I'll sleep better tonight at that temp than 2 nights ago - 28C at midnight near Dijon - not good for us paleskins!

The upper soil is dry here but the veg have managed to find enough moisture somehow - potatoes & onions both looking good - and we have the potential for the best tomato crop for several years!!

• Like 2

Posted

Last of hay baled up for ourselves and neighbours today so very busy.Made it to 25c today with a fresh S  wind. We really need any rain this week we can get for a late cut of grass  in August/September as forage supplies are very short. Speaking to a coastal farmer tonight who says his  barley  crops on very sandy fields have been devastated by drought and especially the hot windy day yesterday. Lower Morayshire looks completely white/yellow. Total grass yields are 25% down in this area so far this season so getting through the coming winter with livestock will be tough.

Posted

Completely non-descript couple of days here Sunday and Monday. No sunshine at all, just overcast and dull. Max yesterday was 17c and minimum 15c. Hoping for some rain today and hopefully some brighter weather tomorrow!