Rugby League / Union 2013 onwards

England are running away with this

Half time - England 30-8 France

Edited by Summer Sun

10 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Excellent England 44-8  France 

🙂 B

Wales v Eng in a fortnight.

Massive game in a fortnight.  I thought Nigel Owens made two uncharacteristic mistakes today, both of which went against France, but England were superb.  Where do France go from here, though?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Massive game in a fortnight.  I tho ught Nigel Owens made two uncharacteristic mistakes today, both of which went against France, but England were superb.  Where do France go from here, though?

Home to Scotland next.

Oh sorry you didn't mean that did you. 😁

Despite Wales excellent run in terms of results, not entirely convinced about their level of play. While the Welsh defence is likely to be a step up compared to what England have faced recently I still think England will go into the game as favourites.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Gloucester played very well last night to beat the Chiefs. In the other game Wasps beat Bristol

France beat an under-strength Scotland at the Stade de France 27-10.  Scotland were badly affected by injuries and, probably as a consequence  were missing both penetration in attack and structure in defence.  They gave away several penalties and seemed slow to the breakdown and generally rather stodgy and predictable in attacking play, at least until the replacements around 65 minutes gave them some of the attacking intent they normally show.  By contrast, France were much-improved, with their forwards seeming to deal with the demands of Test Match ruugby better than against England and their new backs, without the fear of failure their more experienced colleagues have shown of late, showed something of historic French sides. 

Surprised at that the substitutions made all of the difference.

Delighted for Dan Biggar and a massive one in the eye for the comments in the Welsh media.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Well Wales fully deserved to win on the second half performance alone but I'm bemused by England's tactics. It's all very well having a kicking game but you need a platform as well and players who were influential in the previous games such as the two centres and May didn't get a look in. It was all bit odd and a tad worrying because Wales are a long way from the finished article as well.

3 hours ago, J10 said:

Surprised at that the substitutions made all of the difference.

Delighted for Dan Biggar and a massive one in the eye for the comments in the Welsh media.

Superb performance by Wales - congratulations!

3 hours ago, knocker said:

Well Wales fully deserved to win on the second half performance alone but I'm bemused by England's tactics. It's all very well having a kicking game but you need a platform as well and players who were influential in the previous games such as the two centres and May didn't get a look in. It was all bit odd and a tad worrying because Wales are a long way from the finished article as well.

England seemed as though they didn't understand why their approach against France worked - you have to get the second line of defence out of position by getting onto the front foot in order to create the gaps.  They seemed to think that kicking would automatically work against a fantastic defensive side like Wales.  I must admit I though that Wales would weaken as a result of their narrow attacking approach, but they actually finished-off England and forced penalties and free kicks that got them back within a point.  From there, it was a case of keeping England in their half and drawing in defenders with multiple phases; an approach that ultimately led to the try.

Ireland beat Italy 16-26 but were generally unimpressive in the process, particularly in the first half.  Italy were inventive and incisive in attack but fell off too many tackles in defence to keep Ireland out in the second half; having been ahead at half time, they seemed to tire and Ireland reduced (though didn't manage to elminate) their lineout and handling errors.  Sexton had a bad match, losing kicking duties to Conor Murray and being replaced late on, much to his frustration, but Itay didn't do much better with their place kicks.  You get the feeling that Ireland are going through a similar reduction in form to that which England experienced in 2017, while Italy show promise.  Losing the ball on Ireland's goal line towards the end of the match when they had a chance at reducing the deficit was typical of their struggles of the last few years, as they manage to create scoring chances but often fail to take them.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Missing Persons Alert Issued For Team That Beat All Blacks In November

GARDAÍ have been working around the clock since the final whistle of Ireland’s 6 Nations clash against Italy in Rome on Sunday in a bid to locate a team Irish rugby fans have claimed has gone missing, WWN Sport can reveal.

Concerned that the team who swept aside the All Blacks, the greatest rugby side in existence, in November have been difficult to get in touch with, Irish fans confirmed in a written statement to police that they haven’t set eyes on the team since that fateful day at the tail end of 2018.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2019/02/25/missing-persons-alert-issued-for-team-that-beat-all-blacks-in-november

• Like 2

Important win by Bristol over Gloucester on Friday and Leicester over Wasps yesterday. Both very close games with Wasps being particularly unlucky when almost certainly scoring a try at the last knockings that couldn't be awarded. Elsewhere wins for the Chiefs , Quins and Sarys

Wales beat Scotland 18-11 at Murrayfield, but it was a strange match.  Scotland were awful in the first half, showing minimal attacking intent, while Wales seemed workmanlike but not outstanding.  I must admit to losing concentration during the firt half, so wouldn't want to say much more about it beyond the fact that one of Wale's tries came from a clear forward pass which the Assistant Referee failed to notice despite being almost level with play.  Second half was more entertaining, with Scotland at least showing some intent and fight, though at times they resembled 15 players all doing their own thing with not much coordination or structure.  Wales, on the other hand, seemed subdued, though their defence was superb.  Watson was brilliant for Scotland once he came on, and Parks was rightly awarded MotM for a suberb match both in attack and defence.

Posted (edited)

Another win for Wales but again not that impressive in a number of ways.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

England beat Italy by 57-14.  Superb comeback for us after the disappointment of a fortnight ago, not only in terms of the result but also the quality of the performance.  I can only find fault with some of the tackling, though Italy were dangerous with ball in hand throughout.  Otherwise not much to criticise from an England POV; discipline was very good, the likes of Vunipola, Sinckler, Tuilagi, Cokanasiga, Kruis and Launchbury demonstrated exemplary footwork and ball-handling beyond what many seemed to expect.  May was brilliant as ever, Farrell and then Ford kicked well and distributed the ball, and the forwards dominated in the scrum, maul and line-out.  Italy have improved: if nothing else they're not getting tired around 70 minutes as they used to, and they show that they're happy to put the ball through hands and attack the defensie line, but they made too many handling and kicking mistakes to threaten England.

Ireland won by 26-14, but it should have been a greater margin.  They missed a couple of try-scroring opportunities while in France's 22 in the first half, and too many substitutions around the 65-70 minute mark caused them to lose structure.  Two tries for France resulted, though the second was held up (a "should have gone to Specsavers" mement for the TMO).  At least it was a much more convincing team performance from Ireland than they've been able to produce until now in the tournament, though they still need to be more clinical and relentless in the final 15 minutes.  France, on the other hand, went backwards from their performance against Scotland.

Wales win the Grand Slam with ease they've beaten Ireland 25-7

• Like 1

A few weeks ago when it was 16-0 at half time in Paris you would have got long odds on Wales winning the Grand Slam, and to be fair they have not been consistently convincing in the interim games But they were very good today in all departments for 90 minutes. I'm not sure why the roof wasn't deployed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, knocker said:

A few weeks ago when it was 16-0 at half time in Paris you would have got long odds on Wales winning the Grand Slam, and to be fair they have not been consistently convincing in the interim games But they were very good today in all departments for 90 minutes. I'm not sure why the roof wasn't deployed.

Strategic failure by Ireland on the roof, Malcolm, I suspect.  I think they thought that having it closed would increase the atmosphere which would help Wales, an they probably expected to get into a lead early which would be hard to close in the rain.  As it turned-out, they were the ones trying to force the game in filthy weather, and it didn't work.  I must admit I agree regarding Wales - most of the other teams have played better than they have at times, but they've all, including England, played badly at times as well.  What Wales have done is to play consistently and relentlessly.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 1