Rugby League / Union 2013 onwards

Hey guys!

I live in Toulouse (France) so my english isn't perfect. You probably know that Toulouse is a Rugby town and I'm a passionate.

I think so we are in a general rugby topic and we can discuss of European Rugby Champions Cup and not only your national league ?

To sum up, Toulouse has had a bad start season in our national sporting competition (Top14) because of many good players were injured. Obviously, the situation is clearly better and we hope to win our sixth match a row against Grenoble tonight. Stay tuned or watch this space (I don't know the equivalent in English for the expression "Affaire à suivre!")...

To be honest the more the merrier.

Don't worry about your English, I think it is better than many natives on this forum, (not this thread obviously.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting game tonight. England perhaps should have won it in the first half when their pack was firing and Wales were all over the place. Particularly the set pieces and very poor kicking which bro

2013: I don't think Ireland deserved the title one jot, having watched all of the games, England were considerably superior in all aspects of the game, and apart from a mad 3 minutes in Paris, would'v

congrats to Ireland on a fine win and deserved Grand Slam........England were mediocre again and have gone backwards in recent games....It's hard to believe England were lauded as a strong candidate f

Posted Images

Decent draw (19-19) for the Ospreys today, especially when 3-16 down and facing a sin bin. Not in the game for long periods and the odd decision didn't go our way, but they knuckled down, and get the draw.

At the moment we haven't got the squad depth to compete with big Euro clubs, and with a 3-4 starters out and numerous replacements out, they managed to fight to the end.

It was difficult against Glasgow but it's done, we won. Toulouse 19 - 11 Glasgow. 

Glasgow was a serious opponent especially during the first 20 minutes. But their lack of self-discipline , the french pragmatism, despite some actions missed, allowed to keep the score all the party. Revenge for the next week!

Watching the varsity match is like stepping in the Tardis and zippinng back in time. But some things never change. To quote Paul Ackford.

Still, at least you know you are among the educated elite — player and spectator — even if the observations of the spectator element might come across as a little dated to some. “I still think that lifting in the lineout is the worst thing that ever happened to rugby,†one gentleman behind me opined. To be followed, in shocked tones, by: “Some players have got orange boots on. I mean, honestly.â€

Watching the varsity match is like stepping in the Tardis and zippinng back in time. But some things never change. To quote Paul Ackford.

I tend to agree with Paul, the "new" line-out is one of the best things that happened to rugby, much better ball for the winner and still a true contest, even if the throwing side wins the vast majority of times.

The scrum rule is still a mess, and the new rules has completely changed the scrum.

As for the ruck, at most rucks several layers could technically be penalised.

A simplification of the rules is needed for players, referees and fans alike.

Edited by J10

Rugby union is rapidly following in the footsteps of football, albeit on a smaller scale. The migration of southern hemisphere players north is gaining pace as they take the opportunity of financial security after retirement. Dan Carter has just signed a contract for Racing Metro reputedly worth £1.5 million a season. Nothing wrong with players doing this of course but you inevitable end up with a few elite clubs. What about the Exeters of this world and the basic structure of the game? The other aspect is that clubs are going to need a bigger pool of players as it's inevitable, because of the sheer physicality of the modern game, that the number of games played per season by players be restricted.

Great win by Saints over Leicester 23-19 in the derby. Especially as they played most of the game with 14 men after Hartley (surprise) was sent off for the intentional use of an elbow. A fair decision.

82,000 at Twickers today for the Quins/Saints game. It was an excellent game as well which the latter won 30-25 but that's not the whole story. They did that with only 25% possession!

In the other televised game Bath deservedly beat Exeter. Elsewhere Leicester and Saracens both scraped last minute wins to leave Saints top of the table.

82,000 at Twickers today for the Quins/Saints game. It was an excellent game as well which the latter won 30-25 but that's not the whole story. They did that with only 25% possession!

In the other televised game Bath deservedly beat Exeter. Elsewhere Leicester and Saracens both scraped last minute wins to leave Saints top of the table.

Pleased with the result there. So wish I could have watched it but I think it was only on BT Sports  :(

B.  :)

Exeter contrived to lose at Sandy Park to Gloucester. It was a game of one half with 46pts coming in the second 40. Earlier Saracens ground out a win against London Irish and last evening Saints had a good win against an improving Newcastle.

Exeter contrived to lose at Sandy Park to Gloucester. It was a game of one half with 46pts coming in the second 40. Earlier Saracens ground out a win against London Irish and last evening Saints had a good win against an improving Newcastle.

Apparently the lead changed hands 7 times in the game between Exeter and Gloucester no doubt the equivalent of  5-4 result in a football match.

Bath are rapidly becoming the Toulon of English rugby. I must admit that I'm a little surprised they have offered a pot of gold to Rhys Priestland as I've never thought him an outstanding no 10 but then they have seen much more of him than me and know far more about it so they obviously do.

Bath are rapidly becoming the Toulon of English rugby. I must admit that I'm a little surprised they have offered a pot of gold to Rhys Priestland as I've never thought him an outstanding no 10 but then they have seen much more of him than me and know far more about it so they obviously do.

I don't rate him that much, and there was a lot of booing of him a recent Wales game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30011184

Terrific game between Gloucester and Saracens that the former won 24 23 with a 50 metre penalty from Hook with the last kick of the game. Four yellow cards, one should have been red, two serious injuries (hopefully not too serious) and two brilliant tries. The shed nearly fell down.

Further to the above. The penalty in the last minute came about from a kick ahead by Saracens and Ashton following up won the the race for the touchdown. On review it could be seen he was well offside and so the penalty.

Now what would have happened if a Gloucester defender had secured the ball, was subsequently caught by Saracen players, including Ashton and was turned over and a try scored?

In rugby league the players would still have been deemed offside as they were within ten metres of the player who fielded the ball.