Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Airshows!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Well, the season comes around again, and what a line up for RIAT this year! Can't decide to do the full RIAT weekend or do a day at Farnborough and one day at Fairford... I cannot wait to see that lightning!

Looks like there's a little more USAF support this year which will be nice, it definitely showed last year, although the weather was spectacular, so you can't win them all!

• Like 2

Posted

I might be giving RIAT a go myself this year, looking up at the Waddo lineup it's pretty much the same old stuff they've had there for the past 3 years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Well, the season comes around again, and what a line up for RIAT this year! Can't decide to do the full RIAT weekend or do a day at Farnborough and one day at Fairford... I cannot wait to see that lightning!Looks like there's a little more USAF support this year which will be nice, it definitely showed last year, although the weather was spectacular, so you can't win them all!

HI Jo what particular lightning is that?

Edit- sorry just looked at the site and I've messed my pants... 

Edited by Azores Hi

Posted

HI Jo what particular lightning is that? Edit- sorry just looked at the site and I've messed my pants...

Hahaha! I know, it's awesome, right!!

Posted

I haven't been able to get to an airshow for several years but 2012 provided me with the spectacular sight of Raf Typhoons taking off and landing at nearby Raf Northolt. It was part of the defence strategy for the London Olympics.

Within seconds of take off they were literally screaming overhead of my flat. Far too quick for me to able to film them unfortunately but what a sight and sound as they buzzed over the London Suburbs !!

Edited by Bluebreezer54
  • Like 1

Posted

BB, that's awesome!! :D

Not sure about US presence - I think though after last years total no-show, a lot of people were disappointed as RIAT traditionally is well represented by the USAF - certainly the year before was with the Stealth, and previous years the B1B, Blue angels etc etc. These are things you won't see elsewhere in the UK (In an airshow capacity anyway). That said, it is Farnborough the week after, so I would expect a few cool extras to be thrown in. I think this year, rather than doing our usual 4 day RIAT spectacular, we're opting for one Riat Day and a day at Farnborough. I said if we went chasing again this year, we'd have to limit our airshows, so I think I am going to do the following....

RIAT

Farnborough

Clacton (OH grandparents live right on the seafront and the view are just spectacular from the balcony)

Damyns Hall (It's local, and I got some great Sally B pics last year)

Duxford September Airshow

Fingers crossed we have the weather like last year, although I missed Duxford for the first time in ages.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Can't remember where i read it, but the only other Lanc that's still flying is apparently coming over from Canada and will be making an appearance at Eastbourne Airbourne. I can't imagine it's only turning up for that, so there may be some pretty special photo ops over the summer.

Posted

Can't remember where i read it, but the only other Lanc that's still flying is apparently coming over from Canada and will be making an appearance at Eastbourne Airbourne. I can't imagine it's only turning up for that, so there may be some pretty special photo ops over the summer.

It will be taking part in a month of celebrations in Britain before flying home in September.

http://o.canada.com/travel/your-last-chance-to-fly-in-a-lancaster-bomber-over-the-atlantic-for-43000

Posted

Went to RNAS Yeovilton last year, having been stationed there years ago, but the Air Day was very poor compared to those of the past.

As everything these days it was very commercially driven, with the guy in the beer/cider van saying he'd paid over £1k for the pitch that day. 

No wonder pints were close to £5 a throw!

As for the flying display, again not a patch on the past. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still having my own air shows, variously at the London Gliding Club at Dunstable, with the occasional flight at the Narbonne Aero Club when in France.

Thinking back to when I was a snotty nosed air cadet of 16 years, they gave us approximately 30 launches, each of which lasted an average of 4 minutes then sent us off solo - that would be about 2 hours flying time in  total. The aircraft used was a Slingsby Cadet Mark 3 - this was a fairly robust and simple utility model which could not turn on its back without the wings dropping off! - not stressed for aerobatics but it performed the task for which it was designed, which was to give a basic instruction in flying a glider. 

Now the aircraft used mostly is the ASK 21 - this is a different kettle of fish - even though still a basic trainer for gliding clubs it is much more advanced and the training is much more thorough - I have about 2 and a half hours under my belt now with the ASK 21, still to take control with an aero tow, or landing but having great fun thermalling. Managing to keep the cord* they have on the front screen in an upright position most of the time. * this cord though primitive is a very effective way of determining whether you have the aircraft in balance because if there is any disagreement between stick and rudder, it will be blown to one side of the other.

It is like learning from scratch again but making progress and with an old dodderer like me it is bound to take time.

On the other hand, my grand daughter has now been accepted as a cadet until next March is progressing very nicely, now taking control for the landings and for a good part of the aero tow. She is well ahead of me now but it is not a race and I am pleased to see her progress.

The aero tow does require pretty accurate flying to maintain a correct position behind the tug plane and the position of the glider, if it get's out of position, can affect the attitude of the tug plane - not too bad at altitude because the tug pilot can pull his release and escape but at low altitudes it can be dangerous, particularly if the glider goes too high too quickly it will pull the tail of the tug up causing its nose to drop - nasty accidents have occurred in the past like this where the tug pilot does not have the altitude to recover. Just one of the reasons for the training to be more intensive.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Yes, that time of year again! Can't keep up.Going to unashamedly plug away here, the Vulcan may well be an old skool fighter bomber, it still rocks big time. Literally at times! remember seeing these leaving Scampton, quite often in pairs at a time, igniting my passion for all things flying from an early age.http://www.vulcantothesky.orgGreat site, great cause too.Also:

Anyone who has seen or heard one, this'll whet your appetite :)

I remember seeing it years ago, this and the Lightning, and latterly the Harrier, I was always a bit wary of. Why? Because they made one hell of a noise! Now nothing seems quite as loud and as raw, though I admit I haven't been to a show full of jets etc. as I tend to see a lot of the prop aircraft. I went to Sywell (great little airshow) in order to see the Vulcan a few years ago, but it was grounded (weather) at a base and couldn't take off to do the show, which was hugely disappointing. I waited until it came to Duxford in 2012 and I was so pleased to see it, a moment worth waiting for. Then I managed to see and capture it as it flew over my location when it flew back from a display at Clacton, and almost immediately after this it was grounded due to a fuel leak. Fabulous aircraft and very glad to see it is flying this year again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

You's are all too lucky to be able to drive or get to airshows!  :angry: There used to be an annual show here but it was called off in, I think, 2005 and was never put back on due to lack of spectators.

Miss Demeanour, Hawker Hunter Mk.58 visited the airport here though last year, and became a temporary resident for a few weeks, on and off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The RAF aerobatic team, Red Arrows also make an annual appearance here during TT Week in late May/ early June. Photos from this year's display can be found on my newly set up Facebook photography page https://www.facebook.com/JoshuaRiskerPhotography. I can't post them straight here unfortunately due to my Photobucket being pretty close to full!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

I really like the paint work on Miss Demeanour, actually. Great photos!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms

This year i am going to waddington airshow just hope its not boiling hot like last year ruined it for me aroud 20℃ will be perfect for me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

I really like the paint work on Miss Demeanour, actually. Great photos!

Me too. Couldn't miss it! I remember reading a very good article on the website for G-PSST, about how the paint work was decided on. It's definitely worth a read :) http://www.heritageaviation.com/index.php/info/the-colour-scheme/

This year i am going to waddington airshow just hope its not boiling hot like last year ruined it for me aroud 20℃ will be perfect for me

I saw a flyer in a magazine not so long ago advertising Waddo 2014 Airshow. Couldn't decide whether to go to that or Farnborough to see some larger, commercial aircraft  :cc_confused:

• Like 1

Posted

Off to Waddo again this year, gate tickets have now completely sold out with the last remaining few tickets still avaliable at the usual branch stores. Its also the last Waddo show before the runway is resurfaced and as the organizers aren't confident this will be finished for 2015 they're cancelling next years event.

Weather looks okay(ish) with only Saturday morning looking iffy in terms of rain, GFS showing some sunnier hours into the afternoon aswell as throughout Sunday with only the risk of one or two showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I miss Airbourne and the red arrows, being a native to those parts.

Posted

Just back from Waddo, aside from early Saturday's rain which quickly went thew eather was near-perfect. Saw my first visual birdstrike which involved one of the Reds subsequently being grounded after it's display with fire-engines and all coming out to meet it.

RIAT definitely for next year given the variety it has to offer, my 3yrd year at Waddo now so I can put that down in the log.

Posted

Anybody done the park and view for Riat? Thinking about going to Rhymes Farm....aiming to be there for around 08:30 on Saturday(hopefully thats early enough to get a place).

Posted

I enjoyed a free Red Arrows display this morning as they made their way from Fairford to, presumably, Farnborough via a roundabout route avoiding the Salisbury Plain area. They were flying in a V of 5, a diamond of 4 and with their 10th jet tracking on a wider flight line which looked and sounded fantastic!

• Like 1

Posted

Thoroughly enjoyed your shots by the way, always nice to see :)

Thank you very much, had a very enjoyable day and got some great pictures.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

The Shoreham airshow's on this weekend. Sadly, the Canadian Lanc won't make it as it's got some technical problems.

http://www.shorehamairshow.co.uk/

• Like 1