Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Airshows!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I'm doing the RIAT at fairford this year. Second time ive been, last time was 1987! Amazing show that was, vulcan was there pre retirement, lightning doing it's famous tailwalk right in front of the crowdline. With the yanks missing this year I hope the weather holds to compensate!

• Like 1

Posted

Can't wait for this years tattoo iv been going every year since 2006, 2008 was cancelled which was a shame as it had such a great line up, this years is looking amazing and weather could be on are side for the first time since 2009.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Team Jo, What camera and lens do you have? Looking forward to RIAT so much, gotta say with the lastest weather charts its looking good. Hope it keeps it up when in the hi res and reliable timeframe. Check my link below if you wanna check out my pictures, been practicing with all sorts of settings for this year for RIAT. Also have last year on there with Eastbourne and Shoreham. Hopefully clear blue skies for perfect pictures. This makes me excited even more, been checking the GFS every update, not long till its in ECM range, then UKMO.

I've got a Canon 60d with a 18-55 lens (it's the one it came with) and I'm taking a 70-300 which I'm renting. To be honest I'm still learning how to use the camera, I'll put some of my Duxford pix from last year up on my gallery in a bit. - I took it chasing this year as well and got some very cool shots. I'm taking a tripod with me I think, it always seemed to come in handy. I'm just happy that the ground is going to be dry, Well it's the RIAT lineup update today, I'm really hoping they pull something special out the bag like last years' Stealth....Looks like there's a few of us going this year, I feel an Impromptu beverage coming on!
  • Like 2

Posted

Yeaaaah, I'm waiting on UKAR for the update normally around midday, im still hoping for a SU-27, as they didnt get the Viggen. Looking forward to a show without mud, last year we got stuck haha.

Never been to Duxford but would like to check out your pictures :-)

Posted

Yes... the Mud....

Kempsford were towing people out with tractors, I ended up powerwashing EVERYTHING off when I got back, even found mud inside my cd player of the car stereo.... The only tangible way of coping with it was litres and litres of local cider, after a few I stopped caring about the Mud and the rain.....

Boots are from RIAT, rest are a few from Duxford Sept Airshow. It's a bit shorter than RIAT< flying is 1pm onwards for three or four hours, but they open up the flightline on the runway so you can get really good unfenced pictures of all the flying aircraft while they are parked. The weather was absolutely corking. It's flying Legends at Dux this weekend, and I am Very Very tempted.....Oh sweet Merlin Superchargers.....

post-15513-0-75579200-1373539981_thumb.j

post-15513-0-35224300-1373540266_thumb.j

post-15513-0-59432800-1373540269_thumb.j

post-15513-0-39037000-1373540272_thumb.j

post-15513-0-35228600-1373540274_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

Great set of pictures, aww the mud the memories lol. I"ll have to try Duxford sometime the more airshows the better, did plan to do 9 this year, so far only ended up going to RIAT oops. Also the cider will always make any airshow even better haha.

Here are a few from RIAT last year, got a new camera this year so looking forward to the extra details. It was the first time I ever owned a camera, now I'm addicted, looking forward to use my new one with all the learning I have done since the last RIAT.

Update was a little poor, happy with the first F16's on static, normally so many more.

post-5518-0-53026400-1373541855_thumb.jp

post-5518-0-64710600-1373541862_thumb.jp

post-5518-0-69540200-1373541869_thumb.jp

post-5518-0-93885500-1373541888_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Posted

Well, I think we're going to be blessed with an absolute scorcher this weekend!!!!!! :)

Posted

So THIS is interesting...

http://www.acc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123355835

Might be a bit late for RIAT tho.... but you never know what might get pulled out of the bag as a result...

Posted

Yeah saw that, that's hope they send a few late additions, be static of cause. But I got a feeling it may be to late now. Also airshows might be the last thing on there mind. But we can hope, I'm hoping for a few surprise arrivals like we have had in the past.

Not long now woop, weather looks great, already got all my batteries changed, and just got a new 64GB CF Pro card. Should get some good shots on my new camera as it has 8fps shutter speed.

• Like 1

Posted

Well, x2 U2s have  flown into Fairford this morning - I don't know if they are on usual rotation, but if they aren't.... well...

There's also a lot of noise around a Canberra appearing.....

Hmmmm

Posted Image

Posted

also a lot of noise around a Canberra appearing.....

There's always a lot of noise from a Canberra!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looks good for the show this weekend doesn't it!

Having not been to the RIAT for many years I'm really looking forward to it now! Gonna be hot hot hot, must remember the suntan lotion and sunglasses. Last time I went we were in the VIP area keeping cool, but this year I'll be roughing it in the crowd, getting burnt!

• Like 2

Posted

It's so nice not packing masses of wet weather gear for a change and worrying about trench foot!!!! I think there will be a lot of Red shoulders come Sunday afternoon...........

Seriously considering taking the gazebo for the campsite, it's field with no shade otherwise....... 

RIAT have posted on Facebook that they are providing free drinking water if you bring your own bottle which will help.......

Two More days to go!!! I am dying to see what turns up on Friday's arrivals.

• Like 2

Posted

My only real concern is how I'm going to keep my beer cold.......

If anyone does want to meet up, add me on Facebook and we'll co-ordinate icecreams/beverages link is on my signature. I'm not difficult to spot. :D

Maybe, just Maybe we'll have a surprise update this lunchtime... Those U2s flew out yesterday morning :'(

Irrespective, it's going to be a great weekend, I'm packed and ready!

Posted

So, just a few more hours to go till 5am when my Bro will pick me up & head down to RIAT!!

Weather - wise: conditions will be slightly cooler than of late with some low cloud for the first few hrs of the morning, this will soon burn away leaving clear sky's. 27c the max - but on a airfield it could get hotter!!

Had a great day there last year.

Thanks for the info about the water Jo, needle in haystack but ill look out for ya!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I have the Newcastle airshow and Northern Ireland International Airshow in my sights. 2 weeks to Newcastle. Which is boasting 5 jets and includes the Irish Air Force too. Looking forward to seeing the Typhoon for the first time, the Vulcan, Hunter and Jet Provost.

• Like 2

We had our own little air show today - we took our grand daughter aged 16 years up to the London Gliding Club at Dunstable for her first flight in a glider - they have a day set aside each year for girls to go and try it out and this was the day and it was at discounted costs - I do believe that if say, parents had a girl and a boy, they would allow them both to fly, so it is worth noting. Not only that they are given probationary membership for 3 months for which they can have further aero tow and winch launches very cheap. Posted Image

It was an aero tow up to 2000 feet but after the instructor released he was able to get an additional 600 feet and riding thermals did not bother her at all.

Weather conditions were good, though a half hour after she landed we went through a period of fairly heavy showers.

He let her take the controls for most of the time in the air and was quite complimentary as to her ability on this first flight, writing in her temporary log book that she handled the aircraft well - she enjoyed it, so overall I am very pleased. Posted Image

Next week I return with my little boy! - 6 feet 3inches, aged 43 years! and we both get a flight, weather permitting - this will be my third flight in a glider since 1959 when I obtained my 'B' cert when in the ATC.

We won't say two much about the first one 'cos I broke the skid on a Kranich Posted Image

Edited by mike Meehan
  • Like 2

Following on from the above:

Went to the London Gliding Club at Dunstable this afternoon - an aero tow up to 2000 feet, release, then after a couple or minutes or so, I had control - despite a day with a fair bit of strato cumulus I managed to find some feeble lift, but getting on in the afternoon it was petering out - the instructor appeared quite impressed and remarked that I had not forgotten that much in the last 54 years - one turn he described as perfect - however I was not putting in  as much rudder imput as I should have done - I put it down to the 3 hours or so in a Piper where the rudder is virtually redundant once in the air.

After that a bit of ridge soaring, though the wind wasn't really strong enough but at least it slowed the rate of descent - had to watch out for the para gliders a couple of hundred feet below us, then once we were down to 600 feet the instructor decided to call it a day, then he had control and took the aircraft in for a smooth landing despite the ups and the downs of the Dunstable Downs at that point.

At the same my son also had a flight, only the second glider flight, or light aircraft flight (not counting the 15 minute ride in a Dragon Rapide when he was 8 years) He thoroughly enjoyed it and reported back that his instructor thought he was a 'natural'.

We now have 3 months temporary membership which will give flights at half price thereabouts, so hope to go back in Sept after the hols - they are too busy with flying displays for the rest of August.

Posted

First day of Eastbourne Airbourne and it's very dull with a cloud base of 757 ft currently and humid. Unless this clears a bit I can see it affecting flying today.