Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Airshows!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Seems we might actually see good weather for Waddo this year!!! Typically I'm missing it in Favour of RIAT again, so I'm hoping that the warm spell holds on till then, I don't think I could manage another year of knee deep mud :(

Think I'm also doing Flying Legends, Eastbourne, Bournemouth and Clacton (Weather Providing)- I've not been to Clacton Airshow, and the seaside ones last year were great........

Anyone else partaking this year? As before it'd be great to see any of you, have a warm West country cider etc!

Although not my Video, I was standing near the chap that took this, was probably the highlight of my Summer...

• Like 8

Posted

Will I see you at Eastbourne then Jo?

• Like 1

Posted

Will I see you at Eastbourne then Jo?

Yep! I'll be getting my face torched at Beachy head again I think!

• Like 1

Posted

Yep! I'll be getting my face torched at Beachy head again I think!

If you are up on the Head, I'll catch up with you on the Saturday or Sunday then. Don't go up to the main car parks by the Beachy Head pub, try the one near the road just up from the main turning and the slope opposite is packed, but a great vantage point.

• Like 1

Posted

Ace, I was just a bit further back from the pub, last year they were charging about a fiver to park, and it was great viewing but crazily windy. I'll let you know which day I do...... weather permitting etc, be good to see you! :)

Posted

Ace, I was just a bit further back from the pub, last year they were charging about a fiver to park, and it was great viewing but crazily windy. I'll let you know which day I do...... weather permitting etc, be good to see you! Posted Image

Well I think I might recognise you! I get free parking through a residents permit Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

The variety of aircraft is not as good as it was, havent been to an airshow since 92

Posted

The variety of aircraft is not as good as it was, havent been to an airshow since 92

Money is tight and as there is no entrance fee at Eastbourne, I (and other council tax payers) foot the bill. I've not seen the accounts but it just about breaks even I think at best. It is good for local business though.

The Vulcan and the Red Arrows are back again this year, would be lovely if they flew in formation. Also one of my all time favourite jets 'Miss Demeanour' Full list up to date here:

http://www.visiteastbourne.com/airbourne/AirbourneFlying.aspx

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

ill be going to sunderland airshow 26-28th july didnt go last year as my son was only 2 but this year he will love it hes goes mad whenever he sees a plane or helicopter in the sky, always a great occasion a few years ago the highlight was the b52 bomber what a monster, looking at the programme again this year another great weekend is in store i always look forward to seeing the lancaster and the spitefire and the noise the tornado and euro fighter make Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Just to Whet the Appetite, Pair of Chinooks, just ambled across the sky above the house....

post-15513-0-08904800-1373014063_thumb.j

Happy Friday everyone!

• Like 1

Posted

The only thing missing from airshows these days are: Mirage 2000 , F4-phantom, Concorde , C5 galaxy, Buccaneer, A10 tank buster, Harrier, Nimrod, Lightnings going vertical , F104 starfighters "vikings" display team, SR71- Blackbird , B1 bomber with wings swept high speed climb, U2 spy plane, F111s , at least we still got the Toucano, and a lynx helicopter.

• Like 1

Posted

Well... There's no USAF support this year for any Airshows, which is a bit of a swizz, but the last few years there's Been an A10 tank buster, ospreys, and a stealth bomber at riat, not to mention the Migs, .... Would love to see a Sr71 for sure, and if you are savvy with the NOTAMs scheduled U2s are quite frequent over Gloucestershire.......

The trick is to get there the day (days) before and see everything arrive :) most of the static stuff flies in from somewhere.....

I'm excited. I even got the tent out and camped in the garden last night to check everything was still in one piece after last years bog.

Yay!

• Like 2

Posted

The only thing missing from airshows these days are:  F104 starfighters

That's because most of them crashed in Germany! 

• Like 1

Posted

That's because most of them crashed in Germany!

yes they had 9 F104s at mildenhall ,and after the display there were 8..

Posted

The safety record of the F-104 Starfighter became high-profile news, especially in Germany, in the mid-1960s. In West Germany it came to be nicknamed Witwenmacher ("The Widowmaker"). Some operators lost a large proportion of their aircraft through accidents, although the accident rate varied widely depending on the user and operating conditions; the German Air Force lost about 30% of aircraft in accidents over its operating career, and Canada lost over 50% of its F-104s. The Spanish Air Force, however, lost none.

The Class A mishap rate (write off) of the F-104 in USAF service was 26.7 accidents per 100,000 flight hours as of June 1977, (30.63 through the end of 2007[43]), the highest accident rate of any USAF Century Series fighter. By comparison, the rate of the Convair F-102 Delta Dagger was 14.2/100,000 (13.69 through 2007), and the mishap rate for the North American F-100 Super Sabre was 16.25 accidents per 100,000 flight hours.

Posted

Expensive mishap...

Posted

Wouldn't it be lovely to see some old school jets like a Lightning or Phantom F4? I'd really really like to see this baby in the flesh at a show:

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbird-news/worlds-flying-mosquito-flew-today.html

• Like 1

Posted

Just come back from the Waddington weekend and phew what a scorcher it was, definitely needed the water and sunscreen. I felt this year the statics were a little thin on the ground compared to previous shows but the displays involving the Soloturk demo, Viggen, and Lancs/Tornado was worth the admission price alone. I managed to catch the vulcan on all 3 days aswell which isn't too bad having only seen it the once at Southport last year. Been sorting through 6000 pics during the past 24 hours and hoping to be there for the Eastbourne airshow in a few weeks aswell.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

I'm looking forward to RIAT next weekend, I just hope the weather holds up, last 3 times I have been its been either cloudy or showers or a whole morning of rain and low cloud base. Second year with my camera so I'm hoping blue skies wooop.

At least it's not a 2008. Last time I got brunt there was in 2007 I missed 2006 where it was perfect weather and hot. I'm in the viewing village this year.

Did Eastbourne and Shoreham last year, RIAT still my best airshow, the more jets the better love the sound.

Wanted to get down to Waddington, it's just a little far to travel, hopefully next year.

Edited by SupaSnowy

Posted

We're camping at Kempsford for Riat, decided to bite the bullet and see if we can make it through this year without being towed out of the mud!

It's the first year I've got my big camera too, so I'm really looking forward to getting some great shots :)

I think we are due some good weather for RIAT!! I've got everything crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Free show here right now, 4 single prop and a 2 prop doing practice runs right over here.

Posted

Free show here right now, 4 single prop and a 2 prop doing practice runs right over here.

Eastbourne is not only a free show for all, I have the great pleasure of lovely accommodation, food and drink at the end of each day!! :lol: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Eastbourne is not only a free show for all, I have the great pleasure of lovely accommodation, food and drink at the end of each day!! Posted Image

got to see a Dakota do a fly by at the weekend, legend!Posted Image

Posted

Team Jo,

What camera and lens do you have? Looking forward to RIAT so much, gotta say with the lastest weather charts its looking good. Hope it keeps it up when in the hi res and reliable timeframe.

Check my link below if you wanna check out my pictures, been practicing with all sorts of settings for this year for RIAT. Also have last year on there with Eastbourne and Shoreham. Hopefully clear blue skies for perfect pictures.

This makes me excited even more, been checking the GFS every update, not long till its in ECM range, then UKMO.

• Like 1