Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2013: thoughts, prospects and forecasts.

I think it is slower. In other words, last year has more effect on this year. What the new ice will bring could, and most likely is cumulative. A double whammy if you will...

Ice melt must disperse cold pure water that sinks. This sinking cools lower levels. The question is can a sudden melt influence climate on a meso scale. Can refreeze influence real-time weather. I think this year will provide the answer, no doubt.....

MAO

Arctic ice level is around 60% higher than this time last year. As such this should have less affect this year

Edited by MidAtlanticob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Autumn is my favorite time of year. I have never been to England , but the promise a stormy winter is what a meteorologist desires.Autumn in the mid Atlantic or New England is special . Unlike the old country Summer can be brutal. The three H's are Hot, Hazy, Humid. This year has been 5 degrees below normal. Because the last few summers have been 5 degrees above, its been a relief, Temps are Fahrenheit.I have never been to England so I would ask. Do the trees change to a brilliant orange from green? Do they fall and crunch beneath your feet? Is there frost on the pumpkin?MAO

We need just the right conditions to get a vivid display: plenty of sunshine and a cold snap at the right time. October 2008 was good here.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The latest thoughts from the met office for the 2nd half of September suggest slightly above average temperatures

In terms of temperature, the balance of probabilities favours slightly above average conditions.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75951-met-office-16-to-30-day-outlook/?p=2778065

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

The latest thoughts from the met office for the 2nd half of September suggest slightly above average temperatures

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75951-met-office-16-to-30-day-outlook/?p=2778065

Yeah baby, yeah!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

I don't think temperatures are of anyone's interest at this time of year; we're not getting intense heat, or cold ... just nice mild days and cooler nights. 

The question is the precipitation and it doesn't look like a complete wash out in my opinion but it will become unsettled after next week. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

When is Steve Murr going to start posting?  we need his input more than ever this year as well as chiono's.

• Like 2

Posted

When is Steve Murr going to start posting?  we need his input more than ever this year as well as chiono's.

Looking at the models it won't be for a while yet continued warm in the south next week (high 20's easily)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the models it won't be for a while yet continued warm in the south next week (high 20's easily)

Going of the CFS V2 model around mid November onwards and by the time winter finishes with us Steve could be in the weather equivalent of Betty Ford's clinic.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Will this heat ever stop?!! It's been hot almost everyday down here since the start of July, it can be nice but when it lasts this long it becomes an uncomfortable tedium. It's only a shade under 20C at the moment. Can't wait for some cooler weather.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Hopefully never again Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Hopefully never again :rofl:

How do you even know who he is? Anyway, last year's Strat thread started at the end of September as the PV begins in earnest so I expect that's when many of the WInter guys start posting agan. Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

I've got a bad feeling in my water that even Steve Murr won't have any crumbs of comfort to offer us coldies.

• Like 1

Posted

Another increasingly warm to hot week is coming up next week as the summer warmth continues especially in the south

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

By Friday temperatures in the south peak in the high teens instead of the high 20s

Will this heat ever stop?!! It's been hot almost everyday down here since the start of July, it can be nice but when it lasts this long it becomes an uncomfortable tedium. It's only a shade under 20C at the moment. Can't wait for some cooler weather.

Looking at GFS this morning another very warm to hot week is coming for the south with temperatures in the high 20's till Thursday

Posted

Hints that next weekend could be chilly at night.
  • Like 1

Posted

When he sees the zero degree isotherm coming over the horizon Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

I've got a bad feeling in my water that even Steve Murr won't have any crumbs of comfort to offer us coldies.

Interesting you should say that, I have had a bad feeling about this winter from xmas last year TBH, my main concerns were ENSO and the qbo but strong Nina doesn't look likely now (I have a phobia of 1989itus), what we should all remember though is that SSW's and above average stratospheric conditions are possible in any year and ithat it will override  any other teleconnection - stay positive.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

we have not reached Autumn yet and all you snow luvvies are onto winter LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Until all the warm air associated with the HP is blown away, and the Azores High retreats to its usual position, we'll stay warm...It's a similar situation to what we had in May; only, then, we were waiting for a cold block to get disrupted.

Posted

8c this morning, cooler than recent. Quite cool out there at 16c at the moment, feeling pretty autumnal.

My missus is making ominous rumblings of how nippy it feels and asking if please can we have the radiators on?  As usual I told her to stop being so ridiculous and to get some bread an' taties down her neck - no radiators here til mid-Nov earliest!

• Like 5

Posted

My missus is making ominous rumblings of how nippy it feels and asking if please can we have the radiators on?  As usual I told her to stop being so ridiculous and to get some bread an' taties down her neck - no radiators here til mid-Nov earliest!

I would ditch her and get a new missus who prefers cold.

• Like 1