Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2013: thoughts, prospects and forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I don't mind a warm September, but I don't want any warm weather in October. I want October to be firmly autumn with widespread frost. Our winters and autumns in the UK are already appallingly mild and boring so any milder would be unacceptable. This is the time of year when I really want to live in Sweden or Finland (the southern half) because the only depressing factor of our winters IMO is the lack of snow. The landscape here during winter is usually muddy and soggy, and is inferior to the pristine whiteness of Scandinavia. They get more storms and warmer, sunnier summers than us too, so it's a better all-around climate.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yep tonight's ECM looks fine with the deeps low's over Greenland and Iceland out the way after a 2 day blip the warm air returns as well

Posted Image

And long may it stay there!Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Bloody hell. Warm, sun,warm, sun,dry,sunny,warm,warm,dry,sunny,bit warmer,still dry,calm,fine,warm,sunny,dry,settled,warm,warm,dry,sunny. I think I'm going to cry.

• Like 1

Posted

Well if it is warm, at least the wind and rain will make it feel more like autumn regardless of the temperature.

Posted

Bloody hell. Warm, sun,warm, sun,dry,sunny,warm,warm,dry,sunny,bit warmer,still dry,calm,fine,warm,sunny,dry,settled,warm,warm,dry,sunny. I think I'm going to cry.

Specially for you, LG...Posted Image

Edited by A Boy Named Sue
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have a love-hate relationship with gales- I welcome the occasional gale with sustained wind speeds around 40mph and gusts to 60mph, but if it gets significantly above that, a law of diminishing returns sets in and the fear of destruction starts to offset my enjoyment of the power of Mother Nature.  So, I'd be up for a few stormy spells this autumn but not a repeat of the October 1987 event.

My main request regarding low/high pressure is the same all year round really- bright and showery if pressure is low, sunny and dry if pressure is high- I don't mind the occasional cloudy day, but in the UK we are prone to successions of them, and especially so as we head into mid to late autumn.  High pressure still tends to be positively correlated with sunshine amounts during September but not by the time we get to November- for every spell like 16-23 November 2005 one can pull out a spell like the first half of November 2004.

I recall the unexpected sleet and snow showers of the 26th/27th October last year, which was the first time I'd seen any advance on sleety rain during October.  That October as a whole was pretty varied, as, thinking further back, was November 2010.  I would be happy if at least one of the upcoming three autumn months was to be similarly varied.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with fog and a good layer of snow.

If there is a storm tomorrow then it will make my week after all this settled warm weather. but sadly it is incredibly unlikely.  Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Do you like any weather that isn't warm and sunny?

I can take cold snowy weather for a short time IE a week but anything like November and December 2010 and March this year just doesn't do it for me

Warm and sunny is so much better you can go out without lots of layers of cloths on, you can do work outside, you don't need the heating on

Posted

Sad thats not sad its relaxingPosted Image Posted Image

You've spoiled it now! Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I can take cold snowy weather for a short time IE a week but anything like November and December 2010 and March this year just doesn't do it for me

Warm and sunny is so much better you can go out without lots of layers of cloths on, you can do work outside, you don't need the heating on

Yes but you can put more layers on when its too cold, when its too hot, once you take all your clothes off that's it, and you cant do that in public, when its cold and one coat isn't enough, you can put 2 or 3 coats on!

• Like 1

Posted

The  good thing about living in a climate that isn't warm all-year round is that your wardrobe is more diverse. Wearing shorts every day would get boring fast - I like jeans, jackets and sweaters.

• Like 1

Posted

The  good thing about living in a climate that isn't warm all-year round is that your wardrobe is more diverse. Wearing shorts every day would get boring fast - I like jeans, jackets and sweaters.

Unless you're a naturist...or a pervert! Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Something for the coldies to drool over, only another 128 days to go or something! 

post-15543-0-19070900-1377464209_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted

I have a love-hate relationship with gales- I welcome the occasional gale with sustained wind speeds around 40mph and gusts to 60mph, but if it gets significantly above that, a law of diminishing returns sets in and the fear of destruction starts to offset my enjoyment of the power of Mother Nature.  So, I'd be up for a few stormy spells this autumn but not a repeat of the October 1987 event.

My main request regarding low/high pressure is the same all year round really- bright and showery if pressure is low, sunny and dry if pressure is high- I don't mind the occasional cloudy day, but in the UK we are prone to successions of them, and especially so as we head into mid to late autumn.  High pressure still tends to be positively correlated with sunshine amounts during September but not by the time we get to November- for every spell like 16-23 November 2005 one can pull out a spell like the first half of November 2004.

I recall the unexpected sleet and snow showers of the 26th/27th October last year, which was the first time I'd seen any advance on sleety rain during October.  That October as a whole was pretty varied, as, thinking further back, was November 2010.  I would be happy if at least one of the upcoming three autumn months was to be similarly varied.

So do I, and what a gal gale was, i cant even welcome the occasional gale theses days, with wind speeds of more than 40 words a minute, rising to over 60 shouts a second, now that's mother nature.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Work outside is so much easier in Winter. No risk of overheating whatsoever. And even if you do get cold then you just whack another layer on.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

I'm not a fan of long range forecasts, but in my own opinion I think September should be quite an above average month. An Indian Summer Autumn would be quite nice this year, preferably early on when there would still be warmth about. By November any mild setups tend to bring mild foggy muck to our shores.

As for winter, I think this one will be an average one, I just can't see it being particularly noteworthy. Maybe slightly above average. I would certainly like to see a colder than average one, although given where I live, I'd be lucky to get heavy snow in the coldest possible scenario. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Something for the coldies to drool over, only another 128 days to go or something!

If only that was only 24 hrs out! Jan 87' here we come!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

can't wait for the cooler days of autumn to arrive as im rapidly tiring of summer at this stage.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

I wouldn't bother with the CFS, it consistently flip flops between mild and cold setups. I would only trust it to give a very general trend, and even then only in the short term, not on a timescale of 3 or more months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

If only that was only 24 hrs out! Jan 87' here we come!

How I would love to experience that, given my location.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I am just hoping for a calm and warm to winter autumn type situation.

Steady as she goes....

• Like 1

Posted

How I would love to experience that, given my location.

Hm, not me, I don't think Jan '87 was very snowy here, more so for the SE.