Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Really wished I hadn't clicked on this thread - just the thought of approaching heat and listening to all you lot getting (inappropriately) giddy about it is making me feel ill. I do,genuinely,think you're all mad.

We think your mad lol but you get your way most of the time so time for our fun now. Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Really wished I hadn't clicked on this thread - just the thought of approaching heat and listening to all you lot getting (inappropriately) giddy about it is making me feel ill.  I do,genuinely,think you're all mad.

They're coming to take me away, ha ha...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Really wished I hadn't clicked on this thread - just the thought of approaching heat and listening to all you lot getting (inappropriately) giddy about it is making me feel ill.  I do,genuinely,think you're all mad.

Here is something to cool off withPosted Image Posted Image  Courtesy of the coldest March for many many a yearPosted Image

Btw the low mid 70s will be perfect for me this upcoming spell of weather

post-18450-0-39841900-1372864470_thumb.j

Edited by Tamara Road

On the cusp of the best weather in seven years - really very very ready for this! Finally - windows open, shorts on, dinner outside, garden growing like crazy, no need to heat the greenhouse nor living room, pub beer gardens... A total feeling of the outdoors being just like indoors and the garden being like another room of the house. Freedom! No doubt some will complain about the warmth but let 'em - heat (well warmth too) haters have been spoilt for a long time now. Time for warmth & sun lovers to get our precious 2 (maybe) weeks of weather pleasure - it won't be long before the cool, nasty stuff comes back anyway!

Hip hip! Some beaches are going to get pretty hectic - bringing with it some much needed relief for local businesses, shops, hotels etc.Hooray :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Hip hip! Some beaches are going to get pretty hectic - bringing with it some much needed relief for local businesses, shops, hotels etc.

Hooray Posted Image

I was hoping to be involved in organising a local festival marquee this weekend, and had already got support for it, but to cut a long story very short some bureaucratic killjoys have put a spoiler on itPosted Image . In that sense the fact that it is going to be a scorcher all weekend rubs it in even more, because I was going to do a huge Caribbean style summer festival dish and it would have matched the weather and occasion perfectlyPosted Image Posted Image

But yes, my own fortunes aside, the heatwave is going to be a godsend to local businesses here, and nationwide by the sea. The tourist industry in general though throughout the UK Posted Image

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Living in the heart of England it can get stiflingly hot here under a high centred over the country-no refreshing seabreezes.

Night times are the worst as the surface heat just lingers.Unless i am near a beach or pool with a cold drink at hand on a holiday then 21C with a light breeze is perfect for me with the sun out.

I play a fair bit of golf now i am retired and the thought of 30C plus out in the open is not an enticing prospect tbh-so on those days it will be an early tee off before the heat of the day builds.

Good for sitting in the garden in the evenings or in the shade day times though so it has good points and i am sure the heat and sun lovers will enjoy this month's weather.Posted Image

Posted

Looking forward to a decent summery spell in summer, shock horror!

Could be a tad too warm and humid for working outdoors next week but I won't complain, much better than last years washout. I will be making the most of the weather this weekend that's for sure, I think a camp out on the fell is in order.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Latest GFS now has 24c in Yorkshire tomorrow so for some the warm spell will get going in less than 24hrs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

im coming back to the UK Friday and having just endure a sultry 35c+ yesterday..was hoping it would cool and fresh back home...spoil sports.

Posted

I was hoping to be involved in organising a local festival marquee this weekend, and had already got support for it, but to cut a long story very short some bureaucratic killjoys have put a spoiler on itPosted Image . In that sense the fact that it is going to be a scorcher all weekend rubs it in even more, because I was going to do a huge Caribbean style summer festival dish and it would have matched the weather and occasion perfectlyPosted Image Posted Image

Sorry to hear that Tamara. Given all the events and various festivals held in that area I am suprised and saddened to hear that bureaucracy has got the better of you on this occasion. Posted Image

Now trying to predict where, when and what the maximum temp will be during this spell is a tough one. I have a feeling breezes off the North Sea may rule out Gravesend this time around, Heathrow looks a reasonable bet or possibly The Solent but I am going to guess that west is best and the maximum will be recorded somewhere in Gloucestershire or Worcestershire. (sp ? ) towards the end of next week with 31c.

That's jinxed it Posted Image

Posted

But yes, my own fortunes aside, the heatwave is going to be a godsend to local businesses here, and nationwide by the sea. The tourist industry in general though throughout the UK Posted Image

Why do the bureaucrats have to spoil everything? What's wrong with sunshine, Caribbean scran and reggae? Sounds like a perfectly good mix, to me...Bloody jobsworths!Posted Image

PS: forgot the booze!

Edited by A Boy Named Sue

Posted

In the immediate furture it doesnt look a high conducive to the low 30s due to the lack of any influence from off the continent. But what we lose in potential max temperatures we make up in the longevity and scale of the warm spell. All areas should experience some high temperatures at some point. Here its Thursday to Sunday when i expect the highest temperatures. Maybe 26c at the weekend before its back into the low 20s for the start of next week. But inland its mid 20s for the forseeable future. Sunshine amounts also deserve a mention. If this high remains stubborn over the UK then sunshine totals will rocket.

Posted

If we get the kind of uppers shown on the GFS 12Z or the ECM 00z runs for example, I don't think not having a feed off the continent will stop us reaching 30C+ in some spots. For example the end of June 1976 had similar charts with a surface E or NE flow across the south, with uppers a few degrees higher at 16-18C which resulted in temps up to the mid 30's in places like Southampton!

It might be a slightly harder on the ECM 12Z though IMO.

Of course the locations of the hot spots may be a bit different to that with a continental feed, In this spell based on current charts I'd guess areas around Southampton/Hampshire or neighboring southern counties, or perhaps the Cheltenham area might get the highest temps.

For now I'll go for a max of 31C somewhere in one of those areas, although if they get similar uppers or depending on orientation of the high NW or NE England could come close, or the London area if the surface flow from the E/NE there eases later.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Maybe the west of Ireland could surprise a few and top the temperature rankings during the upcoming warm spell!?

Much of the west reached the mid 20s on several occasions last month under the easterly airflow.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Maybe the west of Ireland could surprise a few and top the temperature rankings during the upcoming warm spell!?

Much of the west reached the mid 20s on several occasions last month under the easterly airflow.

Looks very similar to the spells we saw in the June's of 2005 and 2006 when i believe that Ireland did indeed pass 30C.

Posted

It might be a slightly harder on the ECM 12Z though IMO.

Just been reading your comments in the output thread, that ECM 12Z is just one run so I wouldn't base my judgements solely on that- the GFS has trended warmer today and looks better than the ECM for heat. We'll just have to see what it shows in the morning but I still fancy a lot of England to have 12C+ uppers for much of next week which would allow the high 20s to be reached,

Posted

If we can get wall to wall sunshine 25c would do me perfectly, and I think that is very realistic.

And I want 30C+ like I want a hole in the head!Posted Image 

Posted

Looks very similar to the spells we saw in the June's of 2005 and 2006 when i believe that Ireland did indeed pass 30C.

Not quite 30 in either of those June's, but mid-high 20s we're quite common.

Our last 30C+ spell was July 2006. Hit 32.3C on the 19th that month in Co. Roscommon.

Posted

I imagine it could once again see some very high temperatures. Oh the thought of those lovely vast beaches, clear blue skies and warm temperatures Posted Image

Edited by Milhouse

Posted

That thought did occur to me too, I think it is possible that Ireland records some of the highest temps with some of the warmest 850hpa temps at times.

Just been reading your comments in the output thread, that ECM 12Z is just one run so I wouldn't base my judgements solely on that- the GFS has trended warmer today and looks better than the ECM for heat. We'll just have to see what it shows in the morning but I still fancy a lot of England to have 12C+ uppers for much of next week which would allow the high 20s to be reached,

Yes I quite agree, I was hoping the GFS would upgrade uppers from it's 00z run to be similar to the ECM, and indeed it did, so the 'want to see the highest temps recorded' part of me was slightly disappointed when the ECM 12Z reduced them a bit (by no means meant to be a moan or anything though!), but yes probably just slight inter-run variation and think the high 20's will be reached quite widely (even with tonight's ECM perhaps).

Even 12-13C uppers could potentially see localised 30C if conditions are right as they did in the SE on the 25th July last year

Posted

I imagine it could once again see some very high temperatures. Oh the thought of those lovely vast beaches, clear blue skies and warm temperatures Posted Image

Indeed. May just have to head out west for a few days!

Posted

Yes I quite agree, I was hoping the GFS would upgrade uppers from it's 00z run to be similar to the ECM, and indeed it did, so the 'want to see the highest temps recorded' part of me was slightly disappointed when the ECM 12Z reduced them a bit (by no means meant to be a moan or anything though!), but yes probably just slight inter-run variation and think the high 20's will be reached quite widely (even with tonight's ECM perhaps).

Even 12-13C uppers could potentially see localised 30C if conditions are right as they did in the SE on the 25th July last year

Yes true, I must say I've been feeling the same and wanting the highest temperatures possible given the sunshine has been nailed on for a few days now. I often find that in spells such as this, once the day arrives temperatures tend to end up higher than initially expected. I was looking at the charts from April 23 2011 when Heathrow reached 28C and the uppers for this spell look far more impressive. Maybe more of a continental flow back then but the continent wasn't very hot at all and it was April, not July!

Posted Image

Edited by Scorcher

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

busy reorganizing my nursery to minimise water needs ..