Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Global Surface Air & Sea Temperatures: Current Conditions and Future Prospects

BornFromTheVoid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I doubt 2018 will be behind 1998 because 2018 was by far the warmer year of the two in the Arctic, and even HadCRUT4 (which does not interpolate over the Arctic) has 2018 running about 0.05C warmer than 1998.  The Met Office article's figures includes values from several sources and has 2018 averaging 0.13C warmer than 1998, putting it 4th warmest.  ERA-INTERIM even has 2018 as provisionally the third warmest year, probably mainly because 2015 was a cold year in Antarctica and it was less warm in the Arctic than several recent years, and in NASA's GISTEMP 2018 and 2015 are currently just 0.01C apart for January-November.

My feeling is that 2019 will end up a little below their central estimate but warmer than 2018, and a lot depends on the strength of the El Nino.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I doubt 2018 will be behind 1998 because 2018 was by far the warmer year of the two in the Arctic, and even HadCRUT4 (which does not interpolate over the Arctic) has 2018 running about 0.05C warmer than 1998.  The Met Office article's figures includes values from several sources and has 2018 averaging 0.13C warmer than 1998, putting it 4th warmest.  ERA-INTERIM even has 2018 as provisionally the third warmest year, probably mainly because 2015 was a cold year in Antarctica and it was less warm in the Arctic than several recent years, and in NASA's GISTEMP 2018 and 2015 are currently just 0.01C apart for January-November.

My feeling is that 2019 will end up a little below their central estimate but warmer than 2018, and a lot depends on the strength of the El Nino.

Dont you mean you doubt 2019 will be behind 98? 2018 is already warmer than 98 going by the JMA data.

Edited by Rambo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Folk say that the years temp will depend on the strength of the Nino but the last nino was aided in that record by inputs from both arctic and world ocean temps?

If we see an early 'low ice' year then the outflow of heat from the basin at summers end could well spike global temps then( again? last oct showed a high finish position didn't it?).

If low solar sees high pressures dominate the planet then some 'stuck highs' could lead to elevated SST's over the year too?

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Svalbard has experienced warming of 4°C the last 50 years

Since 1971 Svalbard has experienced a winter warming of 7°C. This has caused major changes, and there is an urgent need to plan for the future, states the new “Climate in Svalbard 2100” report.

https://www.bjerknes.uib.no/en/article/news/svalbard-have-experienced-warming-4c-last-50-years

• Like 2

Posted
On 05/02/2019 at 13:27, knocker said:

Svalbard has experienced warming of 4°C the last 50 years

Since 1971 Svalbard has experienced a winter warming of 7°C. This has caused major changes, and there is an urgent need to plan for the future, states the new “Climate in Svalbard 2100” report.

https://www.bjerknes.uib.no/en/article/news/svalbard-have-experienced-warming-4c-last-50-years

Frightening to think that our best Scientific minds had us put the global seed bank there for safety only for it to now face flooding as the conditions rapidly change and the permafrost melts back!

If things have changed so much from when the predictions were made for siting the Seed Bank there appear sound?

So what other things have we got very badly wrong up there? GHG emissions from the permafrost melt back?

EDIT: And then we have this;

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/06/met-office-global-warming-could-exceed-1-point-5-c-in-five-years

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

JMA have January 2019 as the joint 2nd warmest on record (with 2017)

jan_wld.png

1st. 2016(+0.52°C),
2nd. 2019,2017(+0.39°C),
4th. 2015,2007,2002(+0.29°C)

https://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/gwp/temp/jan_wld.html

• Like 3

Posted

It has looked to be a warm one over the southern summer so maybe that heat will work its way north with the change in seasons?

As it is the peak Feb in the last super Nino will take some beating but will we again bag second place for Feb? 

This , I feel , will be yet another interesting year esp. if warm?

What with another big calve possible from Petermann in Greenland and those 'pingo like structures' set to go pop ( If you credit Prof Semiletov's timings for formation to blowout of such structures?) across Yamal ( and just off shore)?

I still firmly believe we crossed a threshold back in 2014 which has unleashed another spurt in warming and that this 'spurt' is now settling into its stride after that initial Nino forcing? 

If we are seeing China hauling back on its production of sulphates/particulates then the continued reduction in 'dimming' naturally places ever more solar at the surface esp. around the Pacific/trop Pacific?

Posted

What I find pretty interesting is global records. I've used all time records here as I feel they are a good benchmark.

Record low Max temperatures were recorded 15 times globally in the last 365 days with 7 of those from the PV in Jan 19. We have broken the record high Max a total of 221 times.

• Like 2

Posted
Posted

I suspect to a degree we are just mirroring the opposite what the W USA has had, which is near record cold and record snow. 

So clearly the flow is very meridonal to allow to extremes to be occuring.

What does seem likely is that background warming is making it easier for us to tap into temperatures that would have been unlikely.

However for balance, I think Feb 98 with it's 19.7c would have likely matched the 21c if those setups occured at the same time as Feb 19, given that tht previous record was still in the first half of the month and two weeks of extra sun makes a decent difference at this time of year.

Still exceptional though, for sure and as I said, I think we will see plenty more daily/monthly records fall in the next 5-10 years.

Posted

I'd agree that this is a way of understanding things Kold but this move to 'direct airmass exchange, N to S or S to north N, ( in our hemisphere), has to be a worry?

It has been far easier , for the most, to see the 'Polar plunges' than it has to see the WAA's? The snow is a real draw for media attention, unusual mild/warmth over winter? not so much!, but they must be occurring in near equal volumes ( one replacing the other?)?

Surely such mixing of extremes leads to change? leads to a lessening of the temp gradient across the Hemisphere impacted?

Posted

There does seem to be an increasing trend towards extremes regarding different conditions.

I'd say that it's not quite balancing out though, there is increasing warmth going into the system which is slowly pushing up overall temps, though clearly in the right amplified setup you can still get cold continents.

Watch for another El nino as well which may get us close to the warmest year ever globally.

Posted

I think this 'see sawing' of extremes is the transition period between the last ,and the new, climate norm?

Where that 'norm' will lie will depend partly on our behaviours but also on just how far we have impacted other climate areas already?

Just because it's above freezing we don't see multiple metres of permafrost melt but given enough time we do?

At a certain point in that process of melt the heat generated by the biological actions the above freezing conditions allow ( think compost heap?) add into the 'speed' of the conversion of that carbon biomass.

The more frequent droughts across the amazon basin could lead to the loss of forrest there and that also will impact our attempts to limit/reverse our impacts?

The past 3 years now have seen quite sizeable amounts of 'natural' produced CO2 offset any reduction humanity has managed to make in their CO2 outputs keeping is on , or above, the B.A.U. pathway....... let's see how this year pans out for Global CO2 outputs in the full knowledge we trumpetted our 6th year of reducing our outputs recently here in the UK?( close all the factories/steel yards/ship yards and I'm sure that's not to hard to achieve?)

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted

There has always been a climate range which usually shifts and waxes and wanes over centuries and even longer than that there are broader shifts which trigger melts/ice ages.

The question is are we accerlating that pattern into hyper drive by increasing emissions.

For now I'd still argue we are within the current long term climatic range, but every year that passes we seem to edge higher and higher into the extremes of that range and it won't take much more for it to get into territory that is a big outlier for the climatic range and can't be explained as anything other than AGW. By that point it may already to be late for some people in prone areas.

• Like 5

Posted

Sorry folks , clumsy language.

Humanity is only where it is today because of the 'benign' climate that has maintained over his 300,000yrs of being.

Had we faced a PETM type climate when we arose as a separate species I do not think I'd be tippy tapping here today nor that global population would be anything like the billions we see?

My 'normal' is the range that covers the past 8 or 9 thousand years of climate.

Hope that helps?

• Thanks 1

Posted

A few comments removed, and responses to those comments.
Please try not to rant and antagonise others.

Questions are great, but don't bury them within a long, off-topic rant. Keep it cool

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

From my limited understanding of the cycle the interdecadal Pacific Oscillation is now in its positive phase and so is supposed flip from 'burying heat' in the upper ocean to leaving it at the surface to interact with the atmosphere above.

From my understanding it can mean up to a 0.5c temp spike across the areas of impact for its 'roughly 30 year' phase?

If I am correct then the thirty years prior to 2014 had quite a 'draw down' on temps in its sphere of influence and on into the global picture?

As such should we not, 4 years into this positive phase, now be expecting to see the first of its impacts filtering through?

If , as I very much suspect is the case, the amount and type of pollution flowing off China is now changing and lessening then those sea surface areas, that are now no longer overturning but sitting at the surface, will also be seeing more energy reaching it that was the case over the past couple of decades?

If anything this is why I think the coming years will begin to look as though Nino driven even if we are sat La Nada?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

From my limited understanding of the cycle the interdecadal Pacific Oscillation is now in its positive phase and so is supposed flip from 'burying heat' in the upper ocean to leaving it at the surface to interact with the atmosphere above.

From my understanding it can mean up to a 0.5c temp spike across the areas of impact for its 'roughly 30 year' phase?

If I am correct then the thirty years prior to 2014 had quite a 'draw down' on temps in its sphere of influence and on into the global picture?

As such should we not, 4 years into this positive phase, now be expecting to see the first of its impacts filtering through?

If , as I very much suspect is the case, the amount and type of pollution flowing off China is now changing and lessening then those sea surface areas, that are now no longer overturning but sitting at the surface, will also be seeing more energy reaching it that was the case over the past couple of decades?

If anything this is why I think the coming years will begin to look as though Nino driven even if we are sat La Nada?

Can you provides some links or data for the IPO, what your areas of impact are and how accurate the 0.5C is?
Will help to have the discussion move forward from a solid foundation.

• Like 1

Posted

Oh Born! 

you know how it is and how you skip from this to that ( grasshopper brain?) without leaving a crumb trial to find your way back ( esp. on a shared comp!)

So I searched on google to see if I could find my '0.5c figure' and hit on this recent article;

https://news.agu.org/press-release/ice-free-arctic-summers-could-happen-on-earlier-side-of-predictions/

"Ocean temperatures in the Pacific always vary from month-to-month and from year-to-year, but slowly evolving ocean processes cause long-term temperature shifts lasting between 10 and 30 years. These shifts in temperature, known as the Interdecadal Pacific Oscillation (IPO), translate into an approximately 0.5 degree Celsius (0.9 degree Fahrenheit) shift in ocean surface temperature in the tropics over the 10- to 30-year cycle"

As for the range of areas impacted?

Well I think the linked resource give an over view?

When you combine this with ( below) you have to wonder just how fast we are headed where we are headed?

EDIT: For me the sad thing is we both struggled with the paid 'climate change Deniers' misuse of the 'natural ' cooling that the negative I.P.O. placed upon our warming planet over its negative phase? (and possible cost us any chance of mitigating the worst of what we now face?) But have shown no appetite to keep up that pressure since the 2014 flip and the surge in global temps we are now beginning to see?

We were close enough to the tipping points prior to the 'faux pause' but now we face an 'augmented period of warming' ( not just from the I.P.O. but the albedo flip in the now 'open water/seasonally open water stretches of the Arctic ocean system that use to see permanent ice cover, the increases in CO2 forcing, since the onset of the IPO negative, and the reduction in 'dimming' we must now be inheriting over the Pacific now China has committed to cleaning its urban pollution levels) to see if we can't 'flip' these systems once and for all?44

Personally I will be paying attention to the 7,000+ 'pingo like structures'  in Yamal this summer to see if Semiletov was accurate in his 'life cycle' of such structures.

Are they just 'pockets' of Methane or do they link into this vast reserve of free methane we are told is capped below the permafrost?

I also note the Russian push to have their nuclear breaker fleet keep year round transit for tankers from next year ,to export their natural gas from there.....do they fear losing it before they can capture it?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And meanwhile, while the world's 'movers and shakers' continue (with the aid of oil-friendly hacks) to spread pseudo-scientific misinformation, global temperatures continue to rise...and rise...and rise?:cray:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 08/03/2019 at 12:47, Ed Stone said:

And meanwhile, while the world's 'movers and shakers' continue (with the aid of oil-friendly hacks) to spread pseudo-scientific misinformation, global temperatures continue to rise...and rise...and rise?:cray:

who are these movers and shakers and what misinformation are they spreading?

• Like 2

Posted

Culler , with thanks ,from Weather underground.

Helps us make sense of the high global temps for jan and feb?

A chronology of 2018-19 winter/summer temperature records from around the world

Here is how the climatological northern winter/southern summer played out day-by-day between December 1, 2018, and February 28, 2019. Only records that one would consider “significant” are included (i.e., monthly temperature records on the national scale and all-time records for cities, states, and countries). Since all of the world’s nations except the United States use Celsius as their primary scale, all temperatures below except U.S. records originated in Celsius and are converted to Fahrenheit.

DECEMBER 2018

Dec. 4: 29.8°C (85.6°F) Kagamihara (Miyakojima Prefecture), Japan. National monthly record excluding Marcus Island.

Dec. 4: 33.6°C (92.5°F) Kaohsiung City, Taiwan. National monthly record (former record 32.9°C at Tainan in 1974).

Dec. 8: 34.0°C (93.2°F) Praia, Cabo Verde. Territorial monthly record (former record 33.6°C at Praia in 2002).

Dec. 22: 37.5°C (99.5°F) Chon Buri, Thailand. National monthly record.

Dec. 23: 37.6°C (99.7°F) Karwar, India. Reliable national monthly record (higher and probably-unreliable figures have been reported in the past at other locations and years)

Dec. 27: 46.3°C (115.3°F) Skukuza, South Africa. All-time record for any month.

Dec. 29: 29.0°C (84.2°F) minimum daily temperature at Bangkok, Thailand. Warmest daily minimum ever measured in December for the Northern Hemisphere.

December as a whole: Second warmest December globally on record since 1880.

Figure 1. A map outlining the more significant temperature records set in New Zealand during the heat wave of January 28-31, 2019. Image credit: NIWA, the New Zealand meteorological service.

JANUARY 2019

Jan. 19: 31.6°C (88.9°F) Christmas Island, Australia. All-time territorial record for any month.

Jan. 24: 46.6°C (115.9°F) Adelaide, Australia. All-time record for site. The 49.5°C (121.1°F) at Port Augusta is the highest temperature ever measured on the coast of any ocean in the Southern Hemisphere.

Jan. 24: 38.7°C (101.2°F) Namacunde, Angola. National monthly record.

Jan. 25: 37.0°C (98.6°F) Pointe des Trois-Bassins, Reunion Island. All-time territorial record for any month. Former record was 36.9°C at Le Port on two occasions.

Jan. 26: 36.6°C (97.9°F) daily minimum at Wanaaring (Borrona Downs), NSW, Australia. All-time national high minimum and world record high minimum for month of January.

Jan. 26: 38.3°C (100.9°F) Santiago, Chile (Quinta Normal, the city’s official site). All-time record for city. 37.7°C observed at Pudahuel Airport in Santiago as well. Previous record for Quinta Normal 37.4°C on Jan. 25, 2017. Also, Chilean regional all-time heat records were set at Santa Maria (Valparaiso Region) with 42.5°C (108.5°F) and at Huechun (Metropolitan Region) with 41.9° (107.4°F).

Jan. 26: 44.0°C (111.2°F) Mariscal Estigarribia, Paraguay. National monthly record (all-time record is 45.0°C at Prats Gill on Nov. 14, 2009).

Jan. 27: -46°F (-43.3°C) International Falls, Minnesota, USA. Ties all-time minimum for site (excludes readings from 1909 at different location).

Jan. 31: -38°F (-38.9°C) Mt. Carroll, Illinois, USA. All-time state cold record. Also all-time minimum records set at Moline, Illinois (-33°F) and Rockford, Illinois (-31°F).

Jan. 31: 38.4°C (101.1°F) Hanmer Forrest, New Zealand. All-time record set here and at 11 other New Zealand sites.

January as a whole: Warmest month on record for Australia. Warmest January on record for Bangkok, Thailand (avg. 29.3°C/84.7°F). Third warmest January globally on record.

Figure 2. A map summarizing some of the significant temperature records set in Chile during the late January and early February heat waves. Image credit: Meteochile.

FEBRUARY 2019

Feb. 1-4: Chile heat wave breaks all-time records at 10 cities, with temperatures ranging from 35.1°C (95.2°F) to 40.7°C (105.3°F). A 40.7°C at Traiguen is perhaps the most southerly 40°C+ reading ever measured on Earth.

Feb. 4: Argentina: 38.2°C (100.8°F) at Perito Moreno, 35.8°C (96.6°F) Rio Gallegos, 30.8°C (87.4°F) Rio Grande. All-time site records (the latter is also a record for the Tierra del Fuego region).

Feb. 5: 21.7°C (71.1°F) Sea Lion Island, Falkland Islands. All-time record and first 20°C+ ever measured at site.

Feb. 7: -46.5°C (-51.7°F) Coronach, Saskatchewan, Canada (near Montana border). All-time cold record for any month.

Feb. 8: -13.8°C (7.2°F) Shigeno Inui, Japan. All-time cold record.

Feb. 9: -30.7°C (-23.3°F) Lake Akan, Hokkaido, Japan. All-time cold record. Also all-time cold record at Teshikaga (-26.7°C) and Taika (-29.8°C).

Feb. 11: -12.6°C (9.3°F) Mauna Kea Summit, Hawaii. Possible all-time state record minimum.

Feb. 15: 42.4°C (108.3°F) Traiguen, Chile. New national monthly record.

Feb. 16: 41.0°C (105.8°F) Espinheira, Angola. All-time national record for any month.

Feb. 17: 37.1°C (98.8°F) Salvador, Brazil. All-time record. This is a very temperate location that rarely experiences extreme highs or lows.

Figure 3. Three of the four member nations of the United Kingdom saw their warmest February temperatures on record in 2019. All temperatures shown are in degrees Celsius. The event brought the U.K. its first temperature above 70° ever recorded during a winter month. At the same time, Los Angeles failed to hit 70°F for the first February since records began in 1878. Image credit: UK Met Office.

Europe’s phenomenal February heat wave

From February 24 until the end of the month (February 28), much of Europe experienced its most extreme February and/or climatological winter (Dec.-Feb) heat wave on record. Here is a summary of the national records set.

Feb. 26

21.2°C (70.2°F) Kew Gardens, London, United Kingdom. National monthly record and warmest winter day on record. The previous U.K. winter record was 19.7°C at Greenwich Observatory, Feb. 13, 1998.

The independent Channel Islands of Jersey and Guernsey also set February temperature records with 18.3°C (64.9°F) and 16.1°C (61.0°) respectively.

15.8°C (60.4°F) Tirstrup, Denmark. Ties national monthly record also set at Copenhagen on Feb. 25, 1990.

16.7°C (62.1°F) Karlshamn, Sweden. National monthly record. Previous record 16.5°C at Vastervik on Feb. 19, 1961.

Feb. 27

20.5°C (68.9°F) Arcen, Netherlands. National monthly record. Previous record 20.4°C at Oost-Maarland on Feb. 24, 1990.

22.4°C (72.3°F) Angleur, Belgium. National monthly record. Previous record 21.1°C at Angleur on Feb. 24, 1990

22.5°C (72.5°F) Remich, Luxembourg. National monthly record. Previous record 20.0°C at Remich in late February 1960.

26.1°C (79.0°F) Borda Vidal, Andorra. National monthly record. This figure is questionable, but a confirmed 22.5°C was observed at Freda, which would be the monthly record in any case. Previous record 22.3°C at Borda Vidal in Feb. 2011.

Feb. 28

24.2°C (75.6°F) at both Gussing and Deutschlandsberg, Austria. National monthly record. Previous record 23.6°C at Bruck an der Mur on Feb. 29, 1960.

23.5°C (74.3°F) Sarver, Hungary. National monthly record. Previous record 22.9°C at Rabagyarmat on Feb. 12, 1998.

20.6°C (69.1°F) Hurbanovo and Ziharec, Slovakia. National monthly record. Previous record 20.3°C at Bratislava on Feb. 22, 2016.

20.3°C (68.5°F) Chiesanuova, San Marino. Ties national monthly record.

24.1°C (74.7°F) Gacnik, Slovenia. National monthly record. Previous record 24.0°C at Vedrijan on Feb. 22, 1990.

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Culler , with thanks ,from Weather underground.

Helps us make sense of the high global temps for jan and feb?

A chronology of 2018-19 winter/summer temperature records from around the world

Here is how the climatological northern winter/southern summer played out day-by-day between December 1, 2018, and February 28, 2019. Only records that one would consider “significant” are included (i.e., monthly temperature records on the national scale and all-time records for cities, states, and countries). Since all of the world’s nations except the United States use Celsius as their primary scale, all temperatures below except U.S. records originated in Celsius and are converted to Fahrenheit.

DECEMBER 2018

Dec. 4: 29.8°C (85.6°F) Kagamihara (Miyakojima Prefecture), Japan. National monthly record excluding Marcus Island.

Dec. 4: 33.6°C (92.5°F) Kaohsiung City, Taiwan. National monthly record (former record 32.9°C at Tainan in 1974).

Dec. 8: 34.0°C (93.2°F) Praia, Cabo Verde. Territorial monthly record (former record 33.6°C at Praia in 2002).

Dec. 22: 37.5°C (99.5°F) Chon Buri, Thailand. National monthly record.

Dec. 23: 37.6°C (99.7°F) Karwar, India. Reliable national monthly record (higher and probably-unreliable figures have been reported in the past at other locations and years)

Dec. 27: 46.3°C (115.3°F) Skukuza, South Africa. All-time record for any month.

Dec. 29: 29.0°C (84.2°F) minimum daily temperature at Bangkok, Thailand. Warmest daily minimum ever measured in December for the Northern Hemisphere.

December as a whole: Second warmest December globally on record since 1880.

Figure 1. A map outlining the more significant temperature records set in New Zealand during the heat wave of January 28-31, 2019. Image credit: NIWA, the New Zealand meteorological service.

JANUARY 2019

Jan. 19: 31.6°C (88.9°F) Christmas Island, Australia. All-time territorial record for any month.

Jan. 24: 46.6°C (115.9°F) Adelaide, Australia. All-time record for site. The 49.5°C (121.1°F) at Port Augusta is the highest temperature ever measured on the coast of any ocean in the Southern Hemisphere.

Jan. 24: 38.7°C (101.2°F) Namacunde, Angola. National monthly record.

Jan. 25: 37.0°C (98.6°F) Pointe des Trois-Bassins, Reunion Island. All-time territorial record for any month. Former record was 36.9°C at Le Port on two occasions.

Jan. 26: 36.6°C (97.9°F) daily minimum at Wanaaring (Borrona Downs), NSW, Australia. All-time national high minimum and world record high minimum for month of January.

Jan. 26: 38.3°C (100.9°F) Santiago, Chile (Quinta Normal, the city’s official site). All-time record for city. 37.7°C observed at Pudahuel Airport in Santiago as well. Previous record for Quinta Normal 37.4°C on Jan. 25, 2017. Also, Chilean regional all-time heat records were set at Santa Maria (Valparaiso Region) with 42.5°C (108.5°F) and at Huechun (Metropolitan Region) with 41.9° (107.4°F).

Jan. 26: 44.0°C (111.2°F) Mariscal Estigarribia, Paraguay. National monthly record (all-time record is 45.0°C at Prats Gill on Nov. 14, 2009).

Jan. 27: -46°F (-43.3°C) International Falls, Minnesota, USA. Ties all-time minimum for site (excludes readings from 1909 at different location).

Jan. 31: -38°F (-38.9°C) Mt. Carroll, Illinois, USA. All-time state cold record. Also all-time minimum records set at Moline, Illinois (-33°F) and Rockford, Illinois (-31°F).

Jan. 31: 38.4°C (101.1°F) Hanmer Forrest, New Zealand. All-time record set here and at 11 other New Zealand sites.

January as a whole: Warmest month on record for Australia. Warmest January on record for Bangkok, Thailand (avg. 29.3°C/84.7°F). Third warmest January globally on record.

Figure 2. A map summarizing some of the significant temperature records set in Chile during the late January and early February heat waves. Image credit: Meteochile.

FEBRUARY 2019

Feb. 1-4: Chile heat wave breaks all-time records at 10 cities, with temperatures ranging from 35.1°C (95.2°F) to 40.7°C (105.3°F). A 40.7°C at Traiguen is perhaps the most southerly 40°C+ reading ever measured on Earth.

Feb. 4: Argentina: 38.2°C (100.8°F) at Perito Moreno, 35.8°C (96.6°F) Rio Gallegos, 30.8°C (87.4°F) Rio Grande. All-time site records (the latter is also a record for the Tierra del Fuego region).

Feb. 5: 21.7°C (71.1°F) Sea Lion Island, Falkland Islands. All-time record and first 20°C+ ever measured at site.

Feb. 7: -46.5°C (-51.7°F) Coronach, Saskatchewan, Canada (near Montana border). All-time cold record for any month.

Feb. 8: -13.8°C (7.2°F) Shigeno Inui, Japan. All-time cold record.

Feb. 9: -30.7°C (-23.3°F) Lake Akan, Hokkaido, Japan. All-time cold record. Also all-time cold record at Teshikaga (-26.7°C) and Taika (-29.8°C).

Feb. 11: -12.6°C (9.3°F) Mauna Kea Summit, Hawaii. Possible all-time state record minimum.

Feb. 15: 42.4°C (108.3°F) Traiguen, Chile. New national monthly record.

Feb. 16: 41.0°C (105.8°F) Espinheira, Angola. All-time national record for any month.

Feb. 17: 37.1°C (98.8°F) Salvador, Brazil. All-time record. This is a very temperate location that rarely experiences extreme highs or lows.

Figure 3. Three of the four member nations of the United Kingdom saw their warmest February temperatures on record in 2019. All temperatures shown are in degrees Celsius. The event brought the U.K. its first temperature above 70° ever recorded during a winter month. At the same time, Los Angeles failed to hit 70°F for the first February since records began in 1878. Image credit: UK Met Office.

Europe’s phenomenal February heat wave

From February 24 until the end of the month (February 28), much of Europe experienced its most extreme February and/or climatological winter (Dec.-Feb) heat wave on record. Here is a summary of the national records set.

Feb. 26

21.2°C (70.2°F) Kew Gardens, London, United Kingdom. National monthly record and warmest winter day on record. The previous U.K. winter record was 19.7°C at Greenwich Observatory, Feb. 13, 1998.

The independent Channel Islands of Jersey and Guernsey also set February temperature records with 18.3°C (64.9°F) and 16.1°C (61.0°) respectively.

15.8°C (60.4°F) Tirstrup, Denmark. Ties national monthly record also set at Copenhagen on Feb. 25, 1990.

16.7°C (62.1°F) Karlshamn, Sweden. National monthly record. Previous record 16.5°C at Vastervik on Feb. 19, 1961.

Feb. 27

20.5°C (68.9°F) Arcen, Netherlands. National monthly record. Previous record 20.4°C at Oost-Maarland on Feb. 24, 1990.

22.4°C (72.3°F) Angleur, Belgium. National monthly record. Previous record 21.1°C at Angleur on Feb. 24, 1990

22.5°C (72.5°F) Remich, Luxembourg. National monthly record. Previous record 20.0°C at Remich in late February 1960.

26.1°C (79.0°F) Borda Vidal, Andorra. National monthly record. This figure is questionable, but a confirmed 22.5°C was observed at Freda, which would be the monthly record in any case. Previous record 22.3°C at Borda Vidal in Feb. 2011.

Feb. 28

24.2°C (75.6°F) at both Gussing and Deutschlandsberg, Austria. National monthly record. Previous record 23.6°C at Bruck an der Mur on Feb. 29, 1960.

23.5°C (74.3°F) Sarver, Hungary. National monthly record. Previous record 22.9°C at Rabagyarmat on Feb. 12, 1998.

20.6°C (69.1°F) Hurbanovo and Ziharec, Slovakia. National monthly record. Previous record 20.3°C at Bratislava on Feb. 22, 2016.

20.3°C (68.5°F) Chiesanuova, San Marino. Ties national monthly record.

24.1°C (74.7°F) Gacnik, Slovenia. National monthly record. Previous record 24.0°C at Vedrijan on Feb. 22, 1990.

You missed a couple from Australia

47.6 °C Kerang, Victoria on the 25th -  a new January temperature record for Victoria (the previous one was 47.2 °C at Mildura Post Office, set on 10 January 1939).

41.6°C  Canberra - tie January temperature record ( with 2013 ) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
On 10/03/2019 at 00:15, cheeky_monkey said:

who are these movers and shakers and what misinformation are they spreading?

Have you not listened to the outpourings from the orange-coloured imbecile who lives in The White House?

• Thanks 1