Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A forgotten June heatwave: 18th June 2000

Posted

The weekend of 17th/18th June 2000 was a scorcher for many places but it is largely forgotten

Temperatures recorded on 18th June 2000

Barbourne: 32.0C

Leeds Weather Centre: 31.7C

London Weather Centre: 31.4C

Northolt: 31.0C

Heathrow: 30.8C

Blackpool airport: 30.0C

Nottingham: 30.0C

Carlisle: 29.6C

Rhyl: 29.1C

Manchester airport: 29.3C

Glasgow airport: 26.0C

It didn't last long although temperatures got into the low 30s in the east, the next day

it turned cooler.

Posted Image

Forecast from 18th June 2000

19th June 2000

• Like 1

Posted

Remember the 17th as the day England beat Germany 1-o in Euro 2000 - it was a Saturday and barbecues were widespread. Unfortunately, the weather didn't last and neither did England's participation.

Posted

The 17th, 18th and 19th reached 26.1C, 28.0C and 30.8C here.

The 30.8C remains the highest June maximum temperature ever recorded here in 34 years of records.

The July that followed was a shocker though, with a mean temp of just 14.9C!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Remember the 17th as the day England beat Germany 1-o in Euro 2000 - it was a Saturday and barbecues were widespread. Unfortunately, the weather didn't last and neither did England's participation.

You'd have thought that everyone would remember something like that! I take it, it wasn't on penalties!

Can't, for the life of me, remember the heatwave...

Posted

Yes I remember that one, a real one-day wonder and the only hot spell of that summer. But it still made it here, with 29C on the Sunday. None of the SE-only syndrome that comes with that kind of setup nowadays.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes I also remember it well, and for the same reason as bringmesunshine- it was the weekend that England beat Germany at Euro 2000. I also played cricket on the Sunday and I recall it being one of the hottest days I've ever played on in this country.

Great to see a heatwave such as that one so close to the solstice, just a shame it didn't last!

Edited by Scorcher

Posted

Some widespread 30C values there. This was hardly a memorable summer, but it at least had the hot spells to go with the cool ones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i made it 3 days of heat, my diary says 31.5c for monday 19th... local recording, not official.

theres been several 1-3 day hot spells in many summers, we forget about them because they are too short.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

24.4c ;26.3c and 27.2c here on those three days. 27.2c is the second highest value recorded in June back to 1977 although it would have been well beaten in 1976. The only other warmer June days were the 30th in 1995 and the 19th in 2005, both of which recorded 27.4c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I recall it being a reasonable summer in these parts,i remember some decent spells in july for haymaking and august had some very good sunny weather before the very wet autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember that heatwave quite well- it brought temperatures as high as 26.8C at Cleadon on the 17th, thanks to a slight fohn effect from a south-westerly breeze off the land.  Subsequent days were a bit cooler near the east coast thanks to sea breezes, but the 19th still got to 26.1C.  That spell of hot sunshine was a major highlight of an otherwise generally dry but cloudy month, though the month's rainfall total was raised above average by an exceptionally wet spell on the 3rd/4th with 52mm in just three days.

My birthday is the 22nd and my "dream" weather scenario has typically been a spell of hot dry sunny weather in the week leading up to the big day and then a thundery breakdown around the day itself, so I recall that I got very excited by the possibility that it might actually happen.  The heatwave delivered, but the thundery breakdown did not- however, the afternoon of the 22nd had a couple of hefty showers in Tyneside so it was a remarkably close approach considering how hard it is to get that sort of sequence over wide parts of the UK. 

I also remember that June 1998 had a fairly close approach with a brief heatwave on the 19th/20th (and that heatwave delivered too, 27.1C on the 20th) and storms for some western parts late on the 20th, but the cloudy changeable Atlantic stuff came streaming back in on the 21st.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Yep. I remember being at school and it was soooooo hot in the clasrooms. All of us wanted to go outside to sunbathe or play football all day. Teachers said no. Luckily my Geography teacher let us have our lesson outside and ironically we covered the weather outside as it was part of the GCSE syllabus!

The summer was nothing special...I remember it being humid most of the summer holidays and a bit boring to be frank.

• 8 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

image.thumb.png.827c8658e1f6c64422416e74f5bf88a2.png

Interesting how the hottest upper air temperature in NW Europe happened to be over Cornwall. This seems to be the peak as the 850s lowered throughout the day. I imagine the temperature may have gone higher if the timing had been slightly different. 

• 6 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

An interesting fact looking at Heathrow is there were only two days at or above 30C during the entire summer and these days (or the 19th) were it. July 2000 only managed a high of 26C even during the high pressure dominated second half. August 2000 which is generally remarked as a warm month only managed a top temperature of 27C. Infact September 2000 recorded a higher temperature than both July and August with closer to 28C. A very tame summer bar this one spell and a far cry from the heat spikes we’re used to. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
47 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

An interesting fact looking at Heathrow is there were only two days at or above 30C during the entire summer and these days (or the 19th) were it. July 2000 only managed a high of 26C even during the high pressure dominated second half. August 2000 which is generally remarked as a warm month only managed a top temperature of 27C. Infact September 2000 recorded a higher temperature than both July and August with closer to 28C. A very tame summer bar this one spell and a far cry from the heat spikes we’re used to. 

yep i remember summer 2000 as much of a muchness..of course it was then followed by the wettest Autumn on record..it started raining around 21st August and did not let up until Xmas that year 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

A reasonable summer overall if a bit non-descript, as it did manage quite long spells of dry weather.

I do remember this heatwave, peaking on the Sunday (and I think it literally just lasted the Sat and Sun) and the rest of June was mostly dry but rather cloudy and cool, though, as indicated by the weather forecast charts above, it was followed by perhaps 3 or 4 days of wet weather. I seem to remember the solstice (21st) being a particularly rough day. However the final week was dry and relatively cool again.

July was also mostly dry and relatively cool though there was a wet spell in the first week with slack lows near the south, a particularly cool second week, and then a dry, sunny and warm (but not hot) third week. The fourth week was cloudy and dry, becoming warm with scattered showers.

August was more changeable but featured a short warm/hot spell from the 21st-25th.

Overall I'd probably rate summer 2000 above several recent summers, due to the lack of any prolonged spells of really bad weather. Better, for example, than 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, and 2019-21.

Edited by Summer8906

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Out of interest have been told that last summers record breaking 40c temperature has been downgraded at an airfield due to jet heating. Does anyone know if this is true and if it is why is it not publicised.

Posted
On 12/01/2023 at 22:46, cheeky_monkey said:

yep i remember summer 2000 as much of a muchness..of course it was then followed by the wettest Autumn on record..it started raining around 21st August and did not let up until Xmas that year 

Glad I was living in Toronto during the whole of 2000.