Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Just had quick look at ST Christoph, the snow has arrived.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

I always enoy watching the transformation from green to white! Whilst it's a little too early for it to stick around at the mo, another few weeks and hopefully we'll be watching the white stuff accumulate!

Katschberghohe Monday: post-20040-0-06880700-1444838417_thumb.j Today: post-20040-0-32605500-1444838426_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

This last week has brought an early taste of winter across Austria. Here's the summary from the Austrian weather service:

• In Vorarlberg light to moderate snowfall above 800 metres.
  • In Tirol it's snowed intermittently down to 1000-800 metres in the Northern Alps and about 1400-1100 metres south of the main front. Until Friday morning are again about 10 cm, expects 20-30 cm of fresh snow on the main front and East Tyrol.
  • In Salzburg the snow line rises to over 2000 metres above sea level during the day.
  • In Carinthia it's more of an issue with the rain than snow. Only snow above 2,000 metres.

Well despite wetter.at suggesting (above) that it was snow only above 2000m in Carinthia, just look at Katschberg this Saturday!!

post-20040-0-37484000-1445067270_thumb.j

Fabulous! I hope you're there enjoying it Carinthian.

Edited by Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

This last week has brought an early taste of winter across Austria. Here's the summary from the Austrian weather service:

• In Vorarlberg light to moderate snowfall above 800 metres.
  • In Tirol it's snowed intermittently down to 1000-800 metres in the Northern Alps and about 1400-1100 metres south of the main front. Until Friday morning are again about 10 cm, expects 20-30 cm of fresh snow on the main front and East Tyrol.
  • In Salzburg the snow line rises to over 2000 metres above sea level during the day.
  • In Carinthia it's more of an issue with the rain than snow. Only snow above 2,000 metres.
Well despite wetter.at suggesting (above) that it was snow only above 2000m in Carinthia, just look at Katschberg this Saturday!!

attachicon.gifKatschberg 09.00 Sat 17 Oct.jpg

Fabulous! I hope you're there enjoying it Carinthian.

Morning Malcolm,

I am in that cloud bottom right corner, so have no view of what lies above, but the sun is coming through now. A drop in temperature overnight as the colder uppers settle over most of the Alpine Region. The moist warmer air mass from the Adriatic now shifted eastwards. A light covering in the village last night but looking at that pictures a fair covering with height. Forecast temp at 2000m -1c today. Good day for a walk into Gontal Valley followed by a few crispy pints later. I trip beckon to Sussex for a week whilst in the close season. Already getting excited about the coming ski-season. I should know better at my age, but you know how it still grips you !

Cheer,

C

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Back in the lovely Austrian Alps after a short break in Sussex. Why does it always rain when I am over there ? However, the sun shone yesterday on the south coast. Frost this morning, still some snow resting on the peaks at about 2000m. That will disappear during the next 48 hours as we pick up a southerly fohn effect at altitude. Should expect some sparkling Autumn sunshine and colours this coming week. Great hiking conditions in the mountains.

C

Posted

Morning, Euro high plonked over us for the next week at least. Some warm Autumn sunshine and colour to enjoy. Rather have the Euro high now than at the start of the ski -season, some 6 weeks away.

C

post-3489-0-81191300-1445938621_thumb.jp

Posted

Hair dryer in full flow over the Northern Alps. Turn of wind to S/SE last hour has lifted temp to nearly 22c in parts of Salzburgerland.

C

• Like 1

Posted

Another fantastic morning. Sun shines again. Euro high right on top of us. Picture of the ski lifts and piste, nice Autumn colours , no sign of snow. The season is due to start in 25 days ?

C

post-3489-0-94125400-1446627837_thumb.jp

Posted

You do realise the way things seem to be going these days.

There will be nothing then suddenly a meter dump of the stuff......

Any way better to have blue skies and beautiful views than warm and rain and gloom.

Let it snow from December.

Posted

You do realise the way things seem to be going these days.

There will be nothing then suddenly a meter dump of the stuff......

Any way better to have blue skies and beautiful views than warm and rain and gloom.

Let it snow from December.

At an altitude of 1650m above sea level, I have seen this happen several times. I agree rain and gloom is the crappiest weather going, although winter Euro High can produce some miserable dull days below the inversion over here.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Another fantastic morning. Sun shines again. Euro high right on top of us. Picture of the ski lifts and piste, nice Autumn colours , no sign of snow. The season is due to start in 25 days ?

C

attachicon.gif91.jpg

The sunbathing season perhaps! Looks gorgeous, what lovely hiking weather  :D

Posted

The sunbathing season perhaps! Looks gorgeous, what lovely hiking weather  :D

Yes, its been great walking weather, clear skies and warm sunshine. Dry as a bone. The only snow visible is some northern slopes at 2500m plus.

C

Posted

Oh, guess what,another cloudless dawn arrives ! Never seen the ground so parched at this time of year. Nice to be out and about, getting fed up of chopping logs for the winter fire supply, I now have enough to last a 6th winter scenario. Getting impatient waiting  for the snows to arrive, might have to wait a bit longer this season.

C

post-3489-0-13414600-1446714186_thumb.jp

Posted

Morning all, yes you guessed it, another sunny day dawns.  The picture is from the Goldenberg Range on the borders of Karten/Salburgerland looking towards the Gross Glockner range. Look how barren of snow it is. Fairly typical scene at the moment.

C

post-3489-0-82617900-1446800127_thumb.jp

Posted

Those pics look more suitable for August, lol...

Mind you its not that unusual for it to be snow less now.

Its just as you say over 2500/3000m

Posted

Another cloudless morning dawns. Sunshine and warmth all the way until 17/18th of this month. The picture below shows only snow on 3000m plus peaks.

c

post-3489-0-44892600-1446973938_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

We can only hope things 'perk up' Carinthian, As im sure it will in time.

Posted

We can only hope things 'perk up' Carinthian, As im sure it will in time.

Hi PM,

Lovely weather at the moment, but I now looking for snow. Given 30% chance on 17th of this month, increasing to 40% on 18th/19th. So things may be starting to show a change. The Norwegian low pressure system should start to weaken the Euro high, especially the Eastern Alps. Fingers crossed .

C

Posted

This is how we will celebrate in Austria when the snow finally arrives ! Hope it doesnt keep us waiting much longer ?

C

post-3489-0-63948400-1447088911_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

This is how we will celebrate in Austria when the snow finally arrives ! Hope it doesnt keep us waiting much longer ?

C

attachicon.gifApre ski.jpg

I think I'll be celebrating like that too when I finally see some snow on the webcams in St.Anton. Six and a bit weeks to go.

Models are looking a little more hopeful of the euro high weakening in the longer term, which should hopefully allow some 'weather' to reach the Alps for a change.

Posted

I think I'll be celebrating like that too when I finally see some snow on the webcams in St.Anton. Six and a bit weeks to go.

Models are looking a little more hopeful of the euro high weakening in the longer term, which should hopefully allow some 'weather' to reach the Alps for a change.

Yep Ravelin, its a worry right across the Alpine Region. I think most resorts will have a delayed start to the season. Firstly, we need a substantial snowfall to build piste bases then hold with freezing conditions. As you say, I think the Norwegian lows will soon start to erode away at the Euro high, especially in the Eastern Alps. Patience remains the name of the game and if snow does not come to the Lechtal Alps including St Anton before Christmas, we will all be in trouble. I have seen many early falls in November , then nothing at Christmas, so the reverse is on the cards. I am sure the snows will come before your holiday.

C

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Carinthian, is it snowing yet?

FC

Hi FC, yes, snow arrived yesterday evening. Not a great depth, but a start and with temps expected to remain below freezing for the most part of this week . Snow making guns in full blown operation presently . We expect further , mostly light falls during the week and with the snow level remaining around 700m some further accumulations will be helpful to build a piste base.Temp presently -6c at 1650m asl.

C

Posted

Hi FC, yes, snow arrived yesterday evening. Not a great depth, but a start and with temps expected to remain below freezing for the most part of this week . Snow making guns in full blown operation presently . We expect further , mostly light falls during the week and with the snow level remaining around 700m some further accumulations will be helpful to build a piste base.Temp presently -6c at 1650m asl.

C

At least it will make it a bit more seasonal for the Christmas Markets starting up in the coming days.  I remember Salzburg last year, everything was still green up to Dec 23rd then the white Christmas arrived with avengeance, it was amazing...

I hope you have a good season..

FC

Edited by frozencanals

Posted

Ski slopes ready in nearby Obertauren. Due to open on Thursday .

C

post-3489-0-81277000-1448380896_thumb.jp

• Like 2