Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

The sun is back out this afternoon. A good view of Gross Glockner looking SE with Austrias largest glacier, The Pasterze seen spurning down the mountain ( looking right ) there was some snowfall up there yesterday above 3000m height.

hope to make a visit next month to have a closer look at this the glacier . The alpine club produce its observations of its progressive continued decline in October.

CPosted Imagewetter-grossglockner-1.php.jpg

hello, what a difference in 3 weeks. snow falling in the region this morning and settling above 1700m. Oc isotherm quite low today, particularly towards the Swiss border. post-3489-0-18079100-1379412811.txt

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Nice early winter scene in the village as the late afternoon sun starts to fade.post-3489-0-27358000-1381676086_thumb.jp

Posted

All good today on The Pitztal Glacierphoto.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Live picture of the stuai glacier with protection sheet made with felt and plastic. The effect is more reflection and reduces ablation by 60 %. this sheet is spread out over the base of the glacier in May. Drastic actions are being experimented to find a way to halt the retreat of all glaciers in Austria.

Posted Imagela.jpg

They are using a similar technique for the preparation of the ski slopes for the Sochi olympics this winter.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/russias-sochi-busy-storing-snow-2014-olympics

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Snowing nicely in the village now. Good forecast for the next 10 days, at times with Arctic airmass.

50cm forecast by 1st December.

Cpost-3489-0-70316700-1385035788_thumb.jp

Posted

Good Morning,

The Hohe Tauren and Lungau region waking up to heavy snowfall this morning. Snow line down to below 1000m. A snow feast in prospect for the next 3 days which temperatures dropping. Expecting 50cm of fresh snowfall by the end of Sunday.post-3489-0-98853700-1385108080_thumb.jp

Posted

Maurtendorf airfield in the Lungau Valley ( approx 1000m asl ). At height around 1500m there is 25cm of fresh overnight snow. We expect 50cm depth at 1650 m by tomorrow.post-3489-0-09770100-1385204311_thumb.jp

Posted

Temps look to tumble to be very very cold around the 28th of the month according to GFS:

Posted Image

Posted

Good Morning,

A snow fest in the Austrian Alps. Piste bashers out working this morning. Looks like the ski season will start on time. Minus 3c in the village at the moment. Snowfall should die out by Midweek with some low overnight temperatures. Further snowfall expected next weekend with a renewed flow of Arctic air into the Eastern Alps.post-3489-0-22834600-1385285851_thumb.jp

Posted

Fancy waking up to 80cm of fresh snowfall this morning ? And still it snows.

cpost-3489-0-19871000-1385291177_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

Morning,

Massive snowfall in Carinthian Region. Minus 10C in the village and still it snows with depth of over 80cm and more higher up. This picture is of a friend of mine out shooting earlier yesterday, waist high in snow. post-3489-0-14579000-1385375940_thumb.jp

Posted

More to come through today:

post-6667-0-88418400-1385377100_thumb.jp

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Hochkar/6day/mid

Posted Image

Ruddy hell it's cold too, wind chill -22°C through the day and actual temps look to be very low with a -30°C showing on GFS for tonight in the West near Solden:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

Morning,

Massive snowfall in Carinthian Region. Minus 10C in the village and still it snows with depth of over 80cm and more higher up. This picture is of a friend of mine out shooting earlier yesterday, waist high in snow. Posted Image1457694_770906102935132_1928293228_n.jpg

Latest snow depth report of 120 cm above the village and 85cm in village. -14C at 2000m. Some very low temps forecast for mid-week and return of snowfall next weekend. Could be some serious accumulations in this set up.

C

Posted

post-3489-0-72432900-1385389873_thumb.jp

Latest snow depth report of 120 cm above the village and 85cm in village. -14C at 2000m. Some very low temps forecast for mid-week and return of snowfall next weekend. Could be some serious accumulations in this set up.

C

Sunshine breaking through. Bitter wind now with snow flurries and -11c. Piste makers now working in deep snow cover, should make a great base.

C

Posted

Not likely to travel to far today. Katschberg a few hours ago and still offically Autumn.post-3489-0-06502400-1385390116_thumb.jp

Posted

Hi Carinthian, I know you are in Austria but I am off to Hungary next week, Budapest specifically, and it is kind of in your general part of Europe. What is the forecast looking like for lowland central Europe next week? I know there isn't 80cm of snow! 

Posted

Sparkling morning in the mountains. Sunny and -11c. Lifts open this Saturday. Should be a  great start to the season. More snowfall this weekend.

Cpost-3489-0-65605300-1385543179_thumb.jp

Edited by carinthian

• 5 weeks later...
Posted

Morgan,

Super morning, sparkling sunshine and 20cm fresh snowfall. Should be a great day for ski-ing in the part of the Alps. Heaviest falls yesterday were in the Sud Tirol and Carnie Alpine Regions around the Italian borders.

Next snowfall on Sunday with a projected accumulation of 11cm.post-3489-0-78075700-1388134433_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all,as 2013 ebbs away into history, time to reflect on this years weather. Most notable was the hot summer spell with a record high recorded not far from here. The year has been dry, sunny and with mostly above average temperatures. Indeed this month one of the warmest on record.I am just amazed how the snow holds at altitude even under the present mild conditions.

We will always get periods of snowy weather at a decent altitude (1000m ) and above, but like much of Britain, here too, snow at low levels is at a premium. We do get floods at times in the Danube basin up north but nothing compares to the widespread deluge that has set stall in soggy Blighty. Anyway, lets hope the rain and wind ceases soon for you guys and winter eventually delivers more seasonal conditions before its to late.

Happy New Year from Austria.

Edited by carinthian

Posted

After the frolics of New Years Eve party, a day for recuperating. Blue sky, sparkling snow and empty ski slopes. Everyone still has a hangover ! No Euro post-3489-0-41317300-1388580155_thumb.jppop and Viennese Walzes tonight, just early to bed in the comforting knowlegde a change is a coming in the models. Will report back tomorrow after talking with the experts.

C

Happy New Year to all 

• Like 1

Posted

Good Evening,

35 cm of new snowfall today in Katschberg. Night view towards village, skies clearing with frost setting in.

Cpost-3489-0-05453900-1388953364_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Sunshine after yesterdays snow and overcast conditions. Still plenty in village but valleys ( below 1000m) barren . I hear conditions are worse in Switzerland and France away from the Italian borders, regarding diminishing snow.post-3489-0-17870600-1389782471_thumb.jp

C

Posted

Sunshine after yesterdays snow and overcast conditions. Still plenty in village but valleys ( below 1000m) barren . I hear conditions are worse in Switzerland and France away from the Italian borders, regarding diminishing snow.Posted Image1010557_10152212460013628_1375030631_n.jpg

C

Hi Carinthian, can you provide any insight on the expected weather conditions in Austria next week?  Is the Snow Computer suggesting that things might start to improve any time soon?  I understand that skiing is still good on piste but not much in the way to of off piste, I'm out in Saalbach on the 25th Jan for week with mates, some of whom haven't been to Austria before and I hope that they could experience it in its full glory.  

I understand that I should be looking to the North/North West when looking for the next (first in some time) dump - is that correct?

Cheers!

Posted

Hi Carinthian, can you provide any insight on the expected weather conditions in Austria next week?  Is the Snow Computer suggesting that things might start to improve any time soon?  I understand that skiing is still good on piste but not much in the way to of off piste, I'm out in Saalbach on the 25th Jan for week with mates, some of whom haven't been to Austria before and I hope that they could experience it in its full glory.  

I understand that I should be looking to the North/North West when looking for the next (first in some time) dump - is that correct?

Cheers!

hi,

Yes, will get back later. Just back from a few days in soggy Sussex. Had a good week in Saalbach this time last year, but was bloody cold. Enjoyed my time there, especially at Bobbys Bar !

C