Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Good Evening,

After another hot sultry day, we have thunderstorms in the area. This picture is one over the Lungau Region to the north of here.

Currently 23c here at 1640 m and 28c down in the valley.

Cpost-3489-0-23990300-1371574613_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Good Evening,

After another hot sultry day, we have thunderstorms in the area. This picture is one over the Lungau Region to the north of here.

Currently 23c here at 1640 m and 28c down in the valley.

CPosted Imagegipfelbahn.jpg

Beautifull Scenery, Oh and by the way send some of your thunderstorms my way!

Posted

Good Morning,

After the lightning display last night, the storms faded away to wake up to a cloudless sky. Hot sunshine forecast today across all of Austria with a max of 35c. Temperature in the valley forecast at 28c, 23c in the village and 19c on the summitpost-3489-0-96348600-1371627425_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

I'm very jealous carinthian, its pleasantly warm here this morning but would love some real heat like that, I bet it's really hot down in Innsbruck today in that valley with probably very little wind.

Posted

I'm very jealous carinthian, its pleasantly warm here this morning but would love some real heat like that, I bet it's really hot down in Innsbruck today in that valley with probably very little wind.

Hi,

It is very nice here at the moment at altitude, but very hot below 1000m. Innsbruck and Salzburg will today have temperatures of 34c plus for the 3rd day in a run. We had clear skies last night but could see a magical lightning display from the storms further north and west. A cloudless sky is forecast for today. Had a hike up into the shade of the Gontal Valley yesterday, still snow patches on our local mountain the Karieck,  its peak is 2400m. Some folk are due to play golf today in St Micheal down in the valley, that will be too hot for me. I will sit in the shade drinking refreshing English tea and then have a pint this evening ! 

c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Hi,

It is very nice here at the moment at altitude, but very hot below 1000m. Innsbruck and Salzburg will today have temperatures of 34c plus for the 3rd day in a run. We had clear skies last night but could see a magical lightning display from the storms further north and west. A cloudless sky is forecast for today. Had a hike up into the shade of the Gontal Valley yesterday, still snow patches on our local mountain the Karieck,  its peak is 2400m. Some folk are due to play golf today in St Micheal down in the valley, that will be too hot for me. I will sit in the shade drinking refreshing English tea and then have a pint this evening ! 

c

Sounds perfect carinthian. Hiking, mountains, views, storms, tea and a few pints, all in pleasantly warm sunny conditions and even a few snow patches about. Jealousy is an awful thing!

Posted

Hi,

c

Hi, Salzburg and Linz expected to reach 36c with-in the next 2 hours.

Here is a picture of a excellent watering hole , The Prittz Hutt. It is the top end of the Gonntal Valley. It is about 1& 1/2 hour hike from the Katschberg village. A favourite walk of my mine followed by a refreshing pint of the local Muhr brew. It is overlooked by the Kareick Mountain which is presently still snow capped. In winter your can ski off piste to this hutt and come back by eco ski method ( dragged by rope and harness from a horse ) !post-3489-0-55872100-1371645318_thumb.jp

Posted

Morgan all,

Today is the last day of the hot spell. Temperatures for the past 5 days have topped 35C somewhere in Austria. The high pressure zone to the east that has fed the hot air is now relocating south and westwards. A cold front will move in from the NW on Monday and Tuesday bringing rain and quite chilly winds. The snowline will be 2000m and some snow is forecast on the peaks surrounding the village. So quite a change on the cards.

C

Posted

Morgan all,

Today is the last day of the hot spell. Temperatures for the past 5 days have topped 35C somewhere in Austria. The high pressure zone to the east that has fed the hot air is now relocating south and westwards. A cold front will move in from the NW on Monday and Tuesday bringing rain and quite chilly winds. The snowline will be 2000m and some snow is forecast on the peaks surrounding the village. So quite a change on the cards.

C

Morning,

The cold front arrived overnight. Grey skies and rain now starting to turn to snow on the mountain. The snow line will drop during the remainder of the day to around 1850 m.

C

Posted

Morning,

The cold front arrived overnight. Grey skies and rain now starting to turn to snow on the mountain. The snow line will drop during the remainder of the day to around 1850 m.

C

What a change in a week. Cold and wet now. This time last week people were flocking into the sunny Gross Glockner National Park. Now the Alpenstrasse covered in new snow cover.post-3489-0-92720200-1372156435_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted

That's the perils or joys (depending on yer viewpoint) of alpine living, but poor pattern rarely last a week....let alone an entire season like they can/do here!

Edited by shedhead

Posted

That's the perils or joys (depending on yer viewpoint) of alpine living, but poor pattern rarely last a week....let alone an entire season like they can/do here!

Yep shepshed,

We can get extremes very quickly at altitude. Warm sunny barbecue this time last week to snowball fights today ! It all very interesting weather here apart from a Euro High in Mid -winter with just endless days of cloud and no precipitation. Thankfully, we have not had one of these prolonged in situ for a few winters now .

C

Posted

Some good news today. The Ashes series is going to be shown live through out mainland Europe. Live streaming via google. Well thats my summer sorted, beer and watching cricket, the perfect pleasure. 

C

• Like 1

Posted

A very contrasting June with records for rain, drought , heat and freezing temperatures. The Northern half of the country was very wet with 150% of average rainfall totals. South of the Alps ( Villach ) recorded its driest June since records began in 1888. A new June record max temp of 38.6 C was recorded during the hot spell in the Northeast of the country. The lowest temperature was recorded on the Pitztal Glacier -8.4 c on the 27th June with a maximum on the same day of only 1c in the village of Rauris (alt of only 1000m )

• 1 month later...
Posted

Morning,

Back after a week in the UK. Presently in the middle of a significant heatwave over here. A new all time Austrian record was made in the Drau region last weekend 39.9C ! The hot spell continues into this week with 38C widely expected today in the lower Carinthian Region. On the look out for thunderstorms , as we are now on alert. Possible 40C today as the upper temperature plume nears 25C at 850mb level. Exciting weather, but this is extreme. I will remain in the shade until this evening then venture out for a ice cold Gosser beer and hopefully see some dusk lightning.

C

• Like 1

Posted

Morning,

Back after a week in the UK. Presently in the middle of a significant heatwave over here. A new all time Austrian record was made in the Drau region last weekend 39.9C ! The hot spell continues into this week with 38C widely expected today in the lower Carinthian Region. On the look out for thunderstorms , as we are now on alert. Possible 40C today as the upper temperature plume nears 25C at 850mb level. Exciting weather, but this is extreme. I will remain in the shade until this evening then venture out for a ice cold Gosser beer and hopefully see some dusk lightning.

C

Wow ...that is warm!! I'm transitting through Dubai on Friday and the forecast temp there is similar....I associate temps like that with the UAE but not with snowy Austria.

Hope you get some spectacular storms. In the meantime are the temps cooler if you grap a cablecar up to one of the summits in your neck of the woods??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Morning,

C

What altitude are these temps occurring at?

I bet the Glaciers are having a hard time! 

Posted

Wow ...that is warm!! I'm transitting through Dubai on Friday and the forecast temp there is similar....I associate temps like that with the UAE but not with snowy Austria.

Hope you get some spectacular storms. In the meantime are the temps cooler if you grap a cablecar up to one of the summits in your neck of the woods??

Hi,

Presently 26c in the village at alt of 1645m. Top of the chairlift at 2200m , temp is a cooler 23c. Down in the valley in St Michael the current temp is 30c, thats at an alt of 1000m.

Posted

What altitude are these temps occurring at?

I bet the Glaciers are having a hard time! 

Hi,

Saturdays record high temp of 39.9C was recorded not far away from here in  Spittal au Drau area, a region in Carinthia, at an altitude of around 600m .

The temperature on the glacier observatory is currently 12c at 3000m

Posted

Hi,

Saturdays record high temp of 39.9C was recorded not far away from here in  Spittal au Drau area, a region in Carinthia, at an altitude of around 600m .

The temperature on the glacier observatory is currently 12c at 3000m

When would you expect the first snowfall at your altitude? Mid September time?

Posted

When would you expect the first snowfall at your altitude? Mid September time?

Hi,

Funnily enough we can get snow at anytime of the year above 1500m. At the begining of June we still had snow in parts of the village. Last September and October was vey warm here with little snowfall. Generally , snow starts to accumulate from Mid- November.

c

Posted

Cool.

What do you do over there C?

If you do not mind me asking Posted Image

Would love to live high in the Alps - spectacular scenery, good beer and skiing! Not sure the misses would be too impressed though!

Edited by Radiating Dendrite