Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Rain has now turned to heavy snow in the village during the last hour. Temp has fallen 4 c in one hour and is currently 0.5c. Snow cover is several cms deep at hohe level 1950m higher up the mountain with temp down to -1.c.

c

• Like 2

Posted

Current picture from the Seefeld. Snow cover at at relatively low levels of 1200m.

C

5803_2020-09-25_1745_688d47e0ed941b8b.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Greetings from the NW of the UK.  Just had a scan through some live web cams and found some beautiful snow scenes in Obertaun, Pongau, Speikboden and in Italy at Ahrntal Bolzano.  Looking forward to some stunning snow pics from yourself.  Keep safe.

Posted

Evening Rush, temp just down to Oc and the snow is falling heavy. About 5cm so far. Yes should get some nice photos tomorrow if the skies clear but looks like a prolonged snowfall setting in. Just like Macc on a snowy evening !!

C

• Like 1

Posted
On 24/09/2020 at 19:38, carinthian said:

Ok , I do not expect scenes like the picture below taken on the local mountain last winter but this weekend looks like producing our first snowfall of the season.A  colder air mass will be digging into the Alps on Saturday morning with a new low circulation in the Gulf of Genoa. Always a good sign for enhanced precipitation in the Eastern Alps. The Northern Alps should see snowfall above 1300m by mid day Saturday, the Southern Alps less snow risk with a developing Nord Fohn. The latest fine mesh snow model has 9cm in the village at 12noon Saturday at 1350m asl  and a temp of -5c on the berg at 2200m. Lets see how accurate at the time . Getting excited.

C

120075449_3323910897664353_4441312882601170613_o.jpg

Ok, not far off the mark. Waking up to a happy Saturday in the Austrian Alps. Still snowing with heaviest amounts on the Northern Alps with some rather huge amounts reported this morning.

C

120143787_10158959682473628_8278349427987692322_o.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Nice Sunday morning sunrise on the local mountain.

C

120250912_3415904021781107_8046478975944260008_n.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Another one taken by the lake earlier. Temp now 6c in the still strong late September sunshine but one of the best September snowfalls to be seen in these parts for many years.

C

120242282_3439025876163028_6409711958804824954_o.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Lovely photos.

Yesterday I tried to see if I could spot snow on top of Schneeberg (visible from here on clear days) but to no avail, because the mountain was shrouded in cloud.

It looks like there was a fair bit up there yesterday but now only patches remain:

https://sk.bergfex.com/puchberg-schneeberg/webcams/c2471/

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, AderynCoch said:

Lovely photos.

Yesterday I tried to see if I could spot snow on top of Schneeberg (visible from here on clear days) but to no avail, because the mountain was shrouded in cloud.

It looks like there was a fair bit up there yesterday but now only patches remain:

https://sk.bergfex.com/puchberg-schneeberg/webcams/c2471/

I'll be keeping an eye on schneeberg too, thanks for the cam link.  I agree, lovely photos @carinthian .

• Like 1

Posted

Morning, the Low pressure circulation over the Eastern Alps producing heavy snowfall at elevation. Reports of new depth of snow at 30cm at 2000m elevation . Freezing level is currently 1970m. Down in the village at 1370m absl , a mixture of heavy wet snow and rain. Snow ploughs keeping local roads clear at the moment. No drifting as the airmass is very moist. Just hope the depth of snow can be retained now at 2000m height plus for the rest of Autumn. This would be a big ask and unusual but has happened in the long distant past before. . Last records from these parts show that a September snowfall in 1931 survived for more than 6 months.

c

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Last records from these parts show that a September snowfall in 1931 survived for more than 6 months.

c

I guess you'd have to rely on a cold October as I can't see much thawing happening in November. Ironically, 1931-2 was a snowless winter for most of Britain.

Meanwhile, the Schneeberg cam is showing a fresh layer of snow (just dreary old rain here in tropical Bratislava). 

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

I guess you'd have to rely on a cold October as I can't see much thawing happening in November. Ironically, 1931-2 was a snowless winter for most of Britain.

Meanwhile, the Schneeberg cam is showing a fresh layer of snow (just dreary old rain here in tropical Bratislava). 

Think you are right. Certainly in November the suns low elevation takes affect on depressing temps at that height. Presently, the most snow cover I have seen in these parts since moving here in 2005. Aye, remember my Grandad told me about some very green winters on his farm Cheshire UK, back in the 1930s.

C

• Like 1

Posted

Our resort planners have been given advance notice of an increased chance of some freezing conditions from Mid - October. Whether , that is from a increase of a Northerly type flow as shown on a earlier post by @Steve Murr in the model thread,I am not sure. However in response to the portal service  update, dozens of snow cannons have this morning been uplifted by helicopters on to the higher resort slopes. Just food for thought ! Early winter ?

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
7 hours ago, carinthian said:

Our resort planners have been given advance notice of an increased chance of some freezing conditions from Mid - October. Whether , that is from a increase of a Northerly type flow as shown on a earlier post by @Steve Murr in the model thread,I am not sure. However in response to the portal service  update, dozens of snow cannons have this morning been uplifted by helicopters on to the higher resort slopes. Just food for thought ! Early winter ?

C

How you doing in those lovely early snowy alps.

Someone told me the French are not opening any ski resorts in the Alps this winter.

Not sure how true that is as to busy to check it.

So on reading the snow cannons being moved into place they think they will be able to ski this winter??

Posted
25 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Hi there, we had snow last weekend which was very early. Now the snow has melted from the village but the local mountain tops are still white. Ski season is scheduled  to start on time but I think there will be some restrictions on Apre Ski with the resultant lack of dancing and singing. Not good for the popular Umbrella Bars that have sprung up over recent years. More likely to be subdued table service . Ski-ing will be such a huge loss over here if it were to close down but International travel restrictions may reduce the number of visitors hugely if things do not improve across Euroland during the coming winter sports season. Fingers crossed !

C

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

We are supposed to be going to Obertaurn at the end of January 2021. My brother and his family have booked but the rest of the group have held off so far. Any early thoughts as to the forthcoming season?  At least Obertaurn is pretty snow sure but will Covid ruin the holiday? 
Meanwhile from twitter.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Norrance said:

We are supposed to be going to Obertaurn at the end of January 2021. My brother and his family have booked but the rest of the group have held off so far. Any early thoughts as to the forthcoming season?  At least Obertaurn is pretty snow sure but will Covid ruin the holiday? 
Meanwhile from twitter.

Love Austria!!

I'm heading to Fieberbrunn again over the February half term with my wife and 3 teenage boys. All booked up.

Hopefully test on arrival back into UK (travelling via Heathrow) will be on offer by then rather than quarantine. But unless Covid is wildly out of control in Austria in February we're definitely going. Went in February this year and had a great time with a large group of friends (although several of the group were unwell on return and subsequently tested positive for Covid antibodies!!).

Hopefully our friends will join us again ...but most are holding off at the moment ...they're understandably nervous about quarantine requirements on return.

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Norrance said:

Meanwhile from twitter.

I love Obertauren , 360 degree ski -in -ski out circuit. Its a high resort as you probably know and snow sure . Visibilty can be a problem at times as many of the runs are above the tree line but the quality makes up for any shortfall. Some really hard on Apre bars in the village and the famous Edelweiss Bar on the last run home into the village. Maybe some restrictions on Apre this season but overall a great ski resort made famous by the Beatles ( FILM HELP) way back over 50 years ago. I always make time for a few days ski-ing there, especially end of season. Where are you staying ?

C

Posted
2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Love Austria!!

I'm heading to Fieberbrunn again over the February half term with my wife and 3 teenage boys. All booked up.

Hopefully test on arrival back into UK (travelling via Heathrow) will be on offer by then rather than quarantine. But unless Covid is wildly out of control in Austria in February we're definitely going. Went in February this year and had a great time with a large group of friends (although several of the group were unwell on return and subsequently tested positive for Covid antibodies!!).

Hopefully our friends will join us again ...but most are holding off at the moment ...they're understandably nervous about quarantine requirements on return.

Nice , stayed there about 10 years ago. Its a snow dream with its own Micro climate. Stayed at a hotel at the bottom of the base lift, think it may have changed its name since my last visit. Certainly , a resort that punches above its weight regarding the amount of snowfall it gets.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I love Obertauren , 360 degree ski -in -ski out circuit. Its a high resort as you probably know and snow sure . Visibilty can be a problem at times as many of the runs are above the tree line but the quality makes up for any shortfall. Some really hard on Apre bars in the village and the famous Edelweiss Bar on the last run home into the village. Maybe some restrictions on Apre this season but overall a great ski resort made famous by the Beatles ( FILM HELP) way back over 50 years ago. I always make time for a few days ski-ing there, especially end of season. Where are you staying ?

C

Sorry C. I misremembered the location as we have been to Obertaurn before. Just checked and this time it is in Obergurgl in the Hotel Alpenaussicht. A different part of the Austrian Alps altogether  but hopefully just as good.

• Like 1

Posted
On 01/10/2020 at 12:14, carinthian said:

C

OK, just a follow up from the above post. Our resort forecasting and snow portal service have indicated an increased risk of snowfall at the end of next weekend into early part of next week. A developing trough is likely to become active with an intrusion of colder polar maritime air lowering the snow level to 1500m by Monday morning. Snow expected at 2300m on Sunday with accumulations of 25cm and by Monday morning 15cm can be expected at 1500m height with substantially more with height. Thereafter, models indicating a European low circulation pattern to form with possible cold pool development on its Northern Arm circulation. Our fine mesh models tend to produce a more accurate snow forecast, especially localised amounts with-in 48 hours of the event. More of a warning at this stage.

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

OK, just a follow up from the above post. Our resort forecasting and snow portal service have indicated an increased risk of snowfall at the end of next weekend into early part of next week. A developing trough is likely to become active with an intrusion of colder polar maritime air lowering the snow level to 1500m by Monday morning. Snow expected at 2300m on Sunday with accumulations of 25cm and by Monday morning 15cm can be expected at 1500m height with substantially more with height. Thereafter, models indicating a European low circulation pattern to form with possible cold pool development on its Northern Arm circulation. Our fine mesh models tend to produce a more accurate snow forecast, especially localised amounts with-in 48 hours of the event. More of a warning at this stage.

C

Not good news for the Giro d'Italia then.

Posted
On 05/10/2020 at 20:37, carinthian said:

C

Hello, got an update from the snow portal service.  Snow expected during Sunday with heaviest falls during the late afternoon early evening period as Arctic maritime air mass comes in to the mix. A new Genoa formation enhancing the precipitation along the frontal boundary over the Eastern Alps.  Models are predicting 18cm fresh snowfall in the village with the snow line down to 1100m in the valley by 6am on Monday morning. A more accurate snow forecast  is produced tomorrow when the fine mesh model comes into its own.  As reported earlier, snow cannons have been air lifted up the high slopes in the village with anticipated colder temps due Mid Month. Still a fair bit of snow on the local mountains at around 2200m height and above.

121012844_648688882513224_1865499748899158968_o.jpg

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning all, just have update regarding our forecast snow event this coming weekend. The early results from the fine mesh model still indicate 15 cm of fresh snowfall in the village by 20.00 hours on Sunday evening with the heavier snow a few hours than previously envisaged. The snow level is forecast to be 1080m in the lower valley by 0800hours  on Monday morning. Will get a more accurate prediction tomorrow morning. Hopefully, some nice snowy pictures on Sunday.

C

• Like 3