Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

A couple of pictures from the area. Summer still lingers late in the mountain pastures. Cattle and horses enjoying the warm sunshine. Never known a Autumn as nice as this one (so far ) BUT we have snow expected next week!

C

44157647_10156898421093628_9167219479808049152_o.jpg

44162520_10156898422053628_2448932640703643648_o.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Hi Paul. Yes, I've just posted in the Mountains & Snowsports thread that it's looking promising for the first significant snowfall of the season around the turn of the month, particularly for the eastern Alps, so Katschberg looking well placed. The 3-day mean forecasts giving support to the scenario.

Give that farmer a call and tell him those cows need bringing in off the mountain!

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Hi Paul. Yes, I've just posted in the Mountains & Snowsports thread that it's looking promising for the first significant snowfall of the season around the turn of the month, particularly for the eastern Alps, so Katschberg looking well placed. The 3-day mean forecasts giving support to the scenario.

Give that farmer a call and tell him those cows need bringing in off the mountain!

Aye Malcolm. Those farmers know the score. Scatching every blade of grass before herding them into their winter sheds !

• Like 1

Posted

Katschberg in the final of the live tv (ORF) from Vienna for the best place to live in Austria. Picture below of some of the characters from the village presenting their case. Good luck Erich,Peter, Andi and the rest of the team.

C

10903995_10204265566416747_4167854502669756806_o.jpg

untitled.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Snowy morning in the Carinthia State Captial of Klagenfurt, Southern Austria.just in time for the Christmas market in the square. Looks nice to me.

C

46453285_2388841864672234_3475390581331460096_o.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
19 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Snowy morning in the Carinthia State Captial of Klagenfurt, Southern Austria.just in time for the Christmas market in the square. Looks nice to me.

C

46453285_2388841864672234_3475390581331460096_o.jpg

Wow great. Looking at radar now it actually does not show so much precipitations....

Can't wait for going to Katschberg for skiing again. I wish you guys lots of snow, at least as much as last season at least

Posted
2 minutes ago, moravian said:

Wow great. Looking at radar now it actually does not show so much precipitations....

Can't wait for going to Katschberg for skiing again. I wish you guys lots of snow, at least as much as last season at least

Welcome to NETWEATHER  forum Thanks for your first post on here. Where are you from ? 

C

Posted
16 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Welcome to NETWEATHER  forum Thanks for your first post on here. Where are you from ? 

C

Thanks for welcoming! Brno, Czech Rep.

The new gondola is installed, I see.

Edited by moravian
  • Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, moravian said:

Thanks for welcoming! Brno, Czech Rep.

The new gondola is installed, I see.

Great. Yes, we see a lot of buses arrive from your part of the world for Saturday ski-ing. The new gondola is very good news. Already tested and ready to go. Will save a lot of time to access the A10- run. Plus more time in the Grizzly Pub !

C

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Katschberg looks great today! So pity I cannot go this week.... I will try to drop in next week for a day on my way to Nassfeld to get the fresh snow feeling :).

Unfortunately Nassfeld is very unlucky with little snow fall so far and the forecasts do not look like there should be some in the coming days.

Seems that temperatures next week will be also milder, hopefully at least around 0 in max.

Edited by moravian

Posted
59 minutes ago, moravian said:

Katschberg looks great today! So pity I cannot go this week.... I will try to drop in next week for a day on my way to Nassfeld to get the fresh snow feeling :).

Unfortunately Nassfeld is very unlucky with little snow fall so far and the forecasts do not look like there should be some in the coming days.

Seems that temperatures next week will be also milder, hopefully at least around 0 in max.

Aineck Stublel this morning. 70cm of fresh snowfall.

C

48220536_10155717853247536_5638125026839363584_o.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Epic!

I have chosen a wrong side of the Alps this time .... Some snow might come on Thursday and Monday, but does not look as too much and still uncertain.

Edited by moravian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Posted

Sad to report that I have never seen so little snow retention in the higher mountains around here. A summer of abnormal higher temps in the height range 5000ft-8000ft  certainly takings its toll. Just a few patches left on the Northern slopes at 8000ft level and above. Another pulse of warm moist upper flow expected towards next weekend.  Lots of rain in the mountains this summer washing the snow away from higher elevation. Thunder and hail been quite a feature as well especially further to the south. Makes you wonder if Global warming is now taking a speedy turn for the worse extremes with all this extra moisture it is producing . Oh, its raining again this morning from medium level instability in the middle of a weak high pressure cell. That's weird as well.

C

• Like 1

Posted
On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 09:08, carinthian said:

Sad to report that I have never seen so little snow retention in the higher mountains around here. A summer of abnormal higher temps in the height range 5000ft-8000ft  certainly takings its toll. Just a few patches left on the Northern slopes at 8000ft level and above. Another pulse of warm moist upper flow expected towards next weekend.  Lots of rain in the mountains this summer washing the snow away from higher elevation. Thunder and hail been quite a feature as well especially further to the south. Makes you wonder if Global warming is now taking a speedy turn for the worse extremes with all this extra moisture it is producing . Oh, its raining again this morning from medium level instability in the middle of a weak high pressure cell. That's weird as well.

C

The rather dismal view this morning from Sonnbick towards Gross Glockner rather confirms the lack of summer snow retention in these parts. Those are 3000m plus mountains in the background. Sad about the reality of GW taking hold.

C

44.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

I read the other day that the French ski resorts ( Glacier ones ) closed a week early this season due to the heatwaves & very poor snow conditions...

Hi Steve, all very depressing. We still have one Gondala open on the Stubaier Glacier in the range 2900m-3200m. 30cm of snow cover and temp of 7c. Should be just enough to stay open for the rest of this summer. A huge amount of fresh snowfall last winter at 2000m and above. Maybe , the extra moisture in the atmosphere created by GW . We experienced record  snowfall  depths at height last winter with rapid Imd- summer melt to follow. We will have to see if this trend continues with the recent decline of winter euro high. Also noted locally record high temps in 1500-2500m range this past few weeks.

C

Edited by carinthian