Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 09:57, carinthian said:

Good start to the morning in Katschberg. Fairly cool still but sun out for the time being.

C

13914138_10154438680213628_5089286015576701813_o.jpg

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 09:57, carinthian said:

Good start to the morning in Katschberg. Fairly cool still but sun out for the time being.

C

13914138_10154438680213628_5089286015576701813_o.jpg

Here is a picture of the" snow moon" taken in January 2014, a prelude to the great snow fest of February 2014 , when we recorded a snow depth of 300cm on this very mountain

1547927_931173383576319_174603812_o.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Nice shot on our local mountain taken January 12 th 2013 after the clearance of a Arctic front had deposited 20cm of fresh powder. The frontal cloud left over, typical of Arctic Airmass type, sometimes seen during the end passage of a Polar Low. An hour later convective snow showers  developed to produce white out conditions. Just a wonderful experience. Will produce some more photos later with the after effect .

C

12493604_1858952704131711_4506540762740446435_o.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

What a wonderful view.

Never mind thats  the view we will see here this winter lol.....:rofl:

Posted
1 hour ago, seaside 60 said:

What a wonderful view.

Never mind thats  the view we will see here this winter lol.....:rofl:

Yes, hope so ,you lot need a snowy winter after a run of drab miserable winter seasons. I can see you with snowy landscape in Shoeburyness, but not the hills !

C

Posted
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

Nice shot on our local mountain taken January 12 th 2013 after the clearance of a Arctic front had deposited 20cm of fresh powder. The frontal cloud left over, typical of Arctic Airmass type, sometimes seen during the end passage of a Polar Low. An hour later convective snow showers  developed to produce white out conditions. Just a wonderful experience. Will produce some more photos later with the after effect .

C

12493604_1858952704131711_4506540762740446435_o.jpg

OK ,  as follow on from the above. First picture is the day before the snow storm with advance cloud associated with Arctic Front. Second picture, post Arctic Front snow deposit.

C

12491945_1856788191014829_8989194090189988084_o.jpg

12466342_1858953610798287_7115776468172274035_o.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
On 04/08/2016 at 17:17, carinthian said:

OK ,  as follow on from the above. First picture is the day before the snow storm with advance cloud associated with Arctic Front. Second picture, post Arctic Front snow deposit.

C

12491945_1856788191014829_8989194090189988084_o.jpg

12466342_1858953610798287_7115776468172274035_o.jpg

Wonderful photos Paul. :)

• Like 1

Posted

I have watched this phenomena for years in the mountains, that of light orographic lifting producing light snow showers. This one taken over our local highest mountain , the Aineck at 2300m. One of the more challenging aspects of forecasting in an area of complex terrain. See it very often in certain conditions. No ideal why it happens, but it does it quite frequently and fascinating to watch them form.

C

10918969_1348972808463039_3540995123659889993_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all, Wet this morning with heavy rain and sleet. Some reports of flooding in the valley. Snow settling at 2000m.

C

Posted

So this time last year it was 30/35c for days on end.
This year its just 3c.

More snow now that some winters in Oct, Nov and Dec, lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Stunning day in the Austrian Alps. Cloudless sky and possibly one of the hottest days of the years so far here. Currently 21 c in resort at ( 1640 m)  and 32c in valley (1000m) Defo cold beer this evening at the pub .

C

Posted
5 hours ago, carinthian said:

Stunning day in the Austrian Alps. Cloudless sky and possibly one of the hottest days of the years so far here. Currently 21 c in resort at ( 1640 m)  and 32c in valley (1000m) Defo cold beer this evening at the pub .

C

Great stuff Paul. Glad summer finally arrived in Katschberg after a cool June and July. Summer well and truely arrived here in the UK too this last few weeks, with our corner of the UK enjoying a very dry and warm spell with temps this last week also in the low 30's. Signs that Autumn could turn out pleasant for us and you too - fingers crossed.

Hope you enjoyed your cold beer. Would that be the local tipple of Hirter Pils? :)

Posted
12 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Great stuff Paul. Glad summer finally arrived in Katschberg after a cool June and July. Summer well and truely arrived here in the UK too this last few weeks, with our corner of the UK enjoying a very dry and warm spell with temps this last week also in the low 30's. Signs that Autumn could turn out pleasant for us and you too - fingers crossed.

Hope you enjoyed your cold beer. Would that be the local tipple of Hirter Pils? :)

Morning Malcolm, thanks for your message. Sunny morning and a warm one coming. Glad the SE of England has picked up with the late summer arrival. Not the best one in these parts. The heat and best weather seams to have been reserved for parts of France , the Low countries and SE England this summer. As you say , early Autumn  looks like being fine and warm with a renewed surge of the high pressure belt across parts of Western Europe, partly aided by the warm air advected poleward by the old hurricanes. My local beer is from the Murtal Valley. Crispy and refreshing. Sorry to say too much consumed by the bad boys early doors crowd last evening. Time for a rest today and Yorkshire tea only ! Will send you a personal message later.

C

14124286_10154512198478628_1728647168698027052_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Have to say i  have been to Austria the last two summers on Holiday to the Niederau, Wildschonau in the Tyroll (Mid to late August) and its been wall to wall sun and temp most days in the 30s.... 

But disappointingly i'm now 28 out of 28 days without seeing a proper Austrian mountain storm! 

However nothing can take away from the wonder and beauty of the place... i'm head over heels in love with the mountains and what a different and more enjoyable summer holiday a trip to Austria is than anywhere else i have been in Europe, more so now we have kids. The whole place is geared up for family's. 

Cant wait for our third trip again next August. Onece i'm at the top of the Marchbachjoch looking at the view, or relaxing next to Filzalmsee or any of the other wonderful little spots we have found at the top and bottom of the mountains, the work stress melts away instantly! 

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, SalopWatcher said:

Have to say i  have been to Austria the last two summers on Holiday to the Niederau, Wildschonau in the Tyroll (Mid to late August) and its been wall to wall sun and temp most days in the 30s.... 

But disappointingly i'm now 28 out of 28 days without seeing a proper Austrian mountain storm! 

However nothing can take away from the wonder and beauty of the place... i'm head over heels in love with the mountains and what a different and more enjoyable summer holiday a trip to Austria is than anywhere else i have been in Europe, more so now we have kids. The whole place is geared up for family's. 

Cant wait for our third trip again next August. Onece i'm at the top of the Marchbachjoch looking at the view, or relaxing next to Filzalmsee or any of the other wonderful little spots we have found at the top and bottom of the mountains, the work stress melts away instantly!

Loved your post SalopWatcher. The Austrian mountains in summer are truely wonderful and you brought back many fond memories of when my wife and I holidayed there with my two young daughters. The pride the Austrians take with their villages, with flowers everywhere, makes their wonderful country a 'must' to visit in the summer (and winter too - but swop geraniums for snow!). One of our favourite destinations remains Zell am See which has a beautiful lake that you can swim in or take a boat trip around, and on the side of the lake is an open-air swimming pool with slides and massage jets and air bubbles. Wonderful!!

P.S. I skied in Niederau back in 1981. OMG - that's 35 years ago!!

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Loved your post SalopWatcher. The Austrian mountains in summer are truely wonderful and you brought back many fond memories of when my wife and I holidayed there with my two young daughters. The pride the Austrians take with their villages, with flowers everywhere, makes their wonderful country a 'must' to visit in the summer (and winter too - but swop geraniums for snow!). One of our favourite destinations remains Zell am See which has a beautiful lake that you can swim in or take a boat trip around, and on the side of the lake is an open-air swimming pool with slides and massage jets and air bubbles. Wonderful!!

P.S. I skied in Niederau back in 1981. OMG - that's 35 years ago!!

On 14/09/2016 at 11:57, SalopWatcher said:

Good man. Like the area as well. Met my wife in nearby village at Alpbach 40 years ago ! I both like summer and winter in the Austrian Alps. Yes,this summer lacked the super storms of previous years. Missed the prolonged night time lighting shows,usually seen from over Italy way, many miles away.  Cheers C

• Like 2

Posted

Its snowing in the Alps.
Just checked the Edelweiss web cam and its the first snow I have seen this autumn.
So I presume its the same for all of the higher slopes.

• Like 1

Posted
On 17/09/2016 at 09:56, seaside 60 said:

Its snowing in the Alps.
Just checked the Edelweiss web cam and its the first snow I have seen this autumn.
So I presume its the same for all of the higher slopes.

It does appear to have been a fairly wide snow event across the Alps seaside. Below a 'before' and 'after' webcam grab from up on the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier, Austria, at 2,600m and also the Grande Motte Glacier at Tignes, France at 3,100m. Unfortunately these very early pre-season snowfalls usually don't last long in September, but lovely to see. :)

Kitzsteinhorn Fri 16th Kitzsteinhorn Glacier Fri16Sep2016.jpg Sat 17th Kitzsteinhorn Glacier Sat17Sep2016.jpg

Grande Motte Wed 14th Grande Motte Wed14Sep2016.jpg Fri 16th Grande Motte Fri16Sep2016.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

No idea where in Europe this is

I think thats in France.  Im of to austria this christmas to see the wifes family  a  town called Leibnitz  south east of austria   always see snow everytime ive been there  cant wait

• Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

No idea where in Europe this is

Val Thorens is a top resort in FRance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
Just now, seaside 60 said:

Val Thorens is a top resort in FRance.

Just seen BBC weather. He put up the same view, but it seemed as though the snow level has dropped even further. He showed a low pressure forcing the cold air and rain westwards into the Alps, Clearly cold enough for snow at the higher levels.

MIA

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Adventweg am Katschberg. 2 km Lantern trail starts 27th Novemeber 2016 and ends at this mountain hutt. Should be special for the kids and of course adults as well ! Gluewein and all.

C

DSC_9687-Bearbeitet-2000.jpg

Posted

A light dusting on the tops this morning.

C

14485006_10153824422222536_6036820035769468464_n.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Freezing level at around 2000m this morning with some snowfall settling at this height.

C

Posted

Some snow settling in Obertauren. This is Edelweiss Pub, one of my favourite stops at 2000m absl.

C

54.jpg

• Like 1