Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Oh so you're the one who pinched our summer eh. Seems only fair that we get to pinch your winter in return.

I can but dream.....

Sorry to report this heat is becoming too much now. Wish I could cool off in windswept blighty ! Recent winters in Austria have recorded well above normal temps but snow at elevation still seems a sure bet. Hope you see some snow and frost for a change in SW Britain this coming winter.Your last two winters of a spin cycle of wind, rain and mildness would drive me crazy now.

C

C

Posted

Guten Morgan to all, well another hot sunny day dawns. The sub-tropical high right over us again. Another pulse of hot air peaks today with 33c widely forecast for regions below 1000m. Relentess heat and lack of rainfall has been the main feature of the summer. Looks like by the middle of next week a good 10c drop in temperature is most likely as a welcome cooler flow takes over, but will it produce much needed rain or storms ? We have to wait and watch.

C

Burn out day again. No clouds in the region with drought conditions prevailing. Signs of rain and cooler temps in 5 days.

Cpost-3489-0-29844800-1440840337_thumb.jp

Picture from the Drautel

Posted

Must have recorded one of the highest temperatures on record at elevation today. Max temp close to 27C at 1637m asl. Current temp 24.6 c at 1700 hours. Glaciers must be in melt down at the moment. That forecast of cooler weather cannot come fast enough. More excuse for me to venture out for a cold lager or two !

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Legend has it that amazing battleground scenarios happen in the SW, apparently leading to huge depths of snow with vast drifts which cut off the area completely. I've been down here 20years now and I'm still waiting..... Convinced now the legends are mere country myths, dreamt up by locals, after a bucket or two of scrumpy cider.

Replying to post 251

For some strange reason when I click 'quote' to post as a reply, my post comes up completely separately???

Edited by jethro

Posted

Legend has it that amazing battleground scenarios happen in the SW, apparently leading to huge depths of snow with vast drifts which cut off the area completely. I've been down here 20years now and I'm still waiting..... Convinced now the legends are mere country myths, dreamt up by locals, after a bucket or two of scrumpy cider.

Replying to post 251

For some strange reason when I click 'quote' to post as a reply, my post comes up completely separately???

Legend also has it that Jesus and his uncle Joseph of Arimathea paid a quick visit to Cornwall and the Ding Dong Mine to buy some tin. Ridiculous as there is no evidence that Ding Dong was up and running then so must have been some other mine.

Posted

Replying to post 251

Sad for you Jethro. Those with old memories of +30 years or more ago, did not dream as fierce battles raged as the fridged easterly beast repelled all the mighty ocean could throw at it. Yep, a long time ago but I could remember pictures of fodder being dropped by helicopers onto the moors into massive deep snow drifts. I, a long time ago, but not a myth . You can still dream or come to Austria !

C

Posted

Last of the baking hot days. Reached 35c again today around Linz and the Danube .Hope to see some thunderstorms and lightning later tonight in the mountains. Snow level to drop to 2500m later this week as cooler flow take over.

C

Posted

Looking south from the Lungau into deepest Carinthia, the valley of the Spittal, the land of lakes and beyond towards Slovenia and Italy borders. Sundays sees the snow line to fall below 2000m for the first time for months. A welcome cooler relief from one of the hottest summers ever in these parts.

C

post-3489-0-06935500-1441273606_thumb.jp

Posted

attachicon.gif640.jpg First snow of the season on the Grossglockner  road

Snow level down to 2200m today in places. Cannot see the tops due to low cloud. Some of the berg webcams in Austria are showing snowfall.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Nice to be reporting the first snows of the season in Austria. :) Both Meteo-France and Osterreich.wetter have reports on their websites today.

Osterreich.wetter:

Change in weather: freezing instead of sweating.
For the first time after the Super Summer 2015, winter is again flexing its muscles.

While we were still sweating at up to 36 degrees on Tuesday, it was announced yesterday morning already in many regions frosty. Maximum temperatures in Zeltweg, Bruck an der Mur, in Gars am Kamp and St. Johann at Pongau by 10 clock in the morning: 0 degrees! 

In the north of the Alps, there was even up to 20 centimeters of new snow, many mountains present themselves already wintry (see photos). In Carinthia yesterday motorists (had to clear) the windows of their cars in the morning free of ice! Even the first snowmen of the season have already been built in East Tyrol.

Meteo-France:

The opening of the Rettenbach glacier within 45 days of curtain raiser of the Alpine Skiing World Cup 24 - 25 October.

It snowed on the heights of Sölden (Austria) last week. And at the foot of Rettenbach is already abuzz with the opening Saturday, September 12th the glacier. In less than 45 days, the géantistes open the ball of the season with the ladies Saturday, October 24 and Sunday, October 25 men. An appointment checked on the calendar of the French fans that move en masse to hundreds in Tyrol.

Edit: Photo is large and blurry when opened. Sorry!

post-20040-0-50521000-1442005044_thumb.j

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Thanks for that really interesting report Blessed.

Amazing temperature variation even for them.

As a side note up near Stratford St Mary next weekend, whats the "in thing" to enjoy family wise up your way, apart from the local, lol...

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for that really interesting report Blessed.

Amazing temperature variation even for them.

As a side note up near Stratford St Mary next weekend, whats the "in thing" to enjoy family wise up your way, apart from the local, lol...

I'll put my thinking hat on and send you a pm in the next day or so Seaside.  :)

Nice to be reporting the first snows of the season in Austria. :) Both Meteo-France and Osterreich.wetter have reports on their websites today.

Osterreich.wetter:

Change in weather: freezing instead of sweating.
For the first time after the Super Summer 2015, winter is again flexing its muscles.

While we were still sweating at up to 36 degrees on Tuesday, it was announced yesterday morning already in many regions frosty. Maximum temperatures in Zeltweg, Bruck an der Mur, in Gars am Kamp and St. Johann at Pongau by 10 clock in the morning: 0 degrees! 

In the north of the Alps, there was even up to 20 centimeters of new snow, many mountains present themselves already wintry (see photos). In Carinthia yesterday motorists (had to clear) the windows of their cars in the morning free of ice! Even the first snowmen of the season have already been built in East Tyrol.

Meteo-France:

The opening of the Rettenbach glacier within 45 days of curtain raiser of the Alpine Skiing World Cup 24 - 25 October.

It snowed on the heights of Sölden (Austria) last week. And at the foot of Rettenbach is already abuzz with the opening Saturday, September 12th the glacier. In less than 45 days, the géantistes open the ball of the season with the ladies Saturday, October 24 and Sunday, October 25 men. An appointment checked on the calendar of the French fans that move en masse to hundreds in Tyrol.

Edit: Photo is large and blurry when opened. Sorry!

Woohoo, winter's coming.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

First snow in 92 days . Getting excited for Christmas !

post-3489-0-06795600-1443008168_thumb.jp

C

• Like 2

Posted

Snow today on the Stubia Glacier, just in time for the ski -season to open there on Friday.

Cpost-3489-0-74727700-1443024448_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

All these lovely pictures of the early snow are getting me all excited about the coming ski season!!

Carinthian - the following report on the wetter.at website today showed a picture of the Salzburg to Katschberg road. I suspect you've driven that many times!

Winter: First snow in ski resorts, roads blocked.

Even higher up the valleys were covered with snow. The tops of the mountains in the ski resorts of the Enns and the Mur valley recorded ten to 15 centimetres of fresh snow. Some of the slopes were dusted at least almost to the valley, such as the Hauser Kaibling. On the Planneralm and the Turracherhöhe between Carinthia and Styria already ruled very wintry conditions.

post-20040-0-65179200-1443120390_thumb.j

Deep winter: The driveway to Katschberg from Salzburg Lungau after Kärrnten​

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Halber-Meter-Neuschnee-in-den-Bergen/205653578

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Always good to see early snow even if it means nothing for the coming winter now.

Posted

Turracher Hohe, a high pass at 1900m about 30km NE of Katschberg has recorded a heavy snowfall today of 25 cm. Still a chill wind blowing with light flurries but pressure starting to rise, should be a good day in the mountains  tomorrow,

post-3489-0-96351600-1443128683_thumb.jp

C

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Forecasts suggesting some snow this coming week for the Austrian (and indeed French & Swiss) Alps. Winter starting to make its presence felt? Time to start regularly checking the webcams!  :)

post-20040-0-65811300-1444592747_thumb.p

Posted

Forecasts suggesting some snow this coming week for the Austrian (and indeed French & Swiss) Alps. Winter starting to make its presence felt? Time to start regularly checking the webcams!  :)

attachicon.gifGFS Precip Thurs 15Oct.png

Hello Malc

No snow yet on the web-cams. Feeling like Autumn though. Oktober festivals doing well with the dry weather. Some snow further North into Southern Poland and Slovakian Mountains. We are still just not cold enough over the Eastern/Southern Alps, the disturbance could produce some snow later this week , more likely now in the west of the region or Swiss resorts.

C

• Like 2

Posted

Hello Malc

No snow yet on the web-cams. Feeling like Autumn though. Oktober festivals doing well with the dry weather. Some snow further North into Southern Poland and Slovakian Mountains. We are still just not cold enough over the Eastern/Southern Alps, the disturbance could produce some snow later this week , more likely now in the west of the region or Swiss resorts.

C

Good Morning,

Snowing today. Many resorts above 1200m have a good covering. The coldest air is further west in the Tirol/ Voralbourg/ Swiss borders with some good amounts being reported. Picture of Stuben a high village near St Anton and Lech gettings its first snowfall of the season.

C

post-3489-0-11244800-1444812411_thumb.jp