Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Hi,

This forum topic is the encompass all things Austria. Interest in the weather, snow conditions, glaciers and tourist information. This is a country of vast Alpine Forests, lakes, glaciers, 3000m plus snow capped mountains and beautiful villages. Try and visit if you can.

Made my firstpost-3489-0-77629100-1370618665_thumb.jppost-3489-0-77629100-1370618665_thumb.jp visit in 1976 and been back every year since. Now my home for the past 10 years.

This is a picture looking out to the magical Gross Glockner, the highest mountain in Austria first

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I first went skiing to Austria in 1977 and have been back many times since. Love the scenery,the skiing and the atmosphere. To me the mix there is better than in the other Alpine countries

Unfortunately will not manage to get over there again [at least for skiing] due to a serious neck injury. May still visit perhaps in the Summer for a change.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

I first went skiing to Austria in 1977 and have been back many times since. Love the scenery,the skiing and the atmosphere. To me the mix there is better than in the other Alpine countriesUnfortunately will not manage to get over there again [at least for skiing] due to a serious neck injury. May still visit perhaps in the Summer for a change.

Hi ,

Sorry to read about the injury. Hope that was not a ski-ing accident ? Yes, I first made a visit in 1976 and fell in love with the place. Anyway , summer is just as spectacular and wish you well for the future.

C

Posted

This picture is of the cruising blue run down Katschberg Mountain into my village. The Aineck Mountain is in the back ground at 2200m.

The main run down that is broad long red and also one of the steepest blacks in the whole of Austria.

Cpost-3489-0-25684000-1370686614_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

Nice photos Paul.

I skied in the Kirchberg area, cheaper than the main resort of Kitzbuel, but able to use most of their facilities. I have holidayed in the Seefeld area in summer.

Also walked in an area near Kitzbuhel and the name escapes me.

I loved it in each area but I have to put the Jungfrau region as my favourite, skiing obviously but also walking. Each to their own and I certainly envy you living there.

Posted

Nice photos Paul.I skied in the Kirchberg area, cheaper than the main resort of Kitzbuel, but able to use most of their facilities. I have holidayed in the Seefeld area in summer.Also walked in an area near Kitzbuhel and the name escapes me.I loved it in each area but I have to put the Jungfrau region as my favourite, skiing obviously but also walking. Each to their own and I certainly envy you living there.

hi John,

Funny enough my first ski-ing holiday was back in 1976 and stayed in the pretty village of Alpbach. During this holiday, I made a visit to watch the famous downhill race in Kitzbuhel. Even the speed of the downhill racers then was mind blowing. After that holiday, I just fell in love with the mountains and Austria. I know you have the same love affair with Wengen.

C

Posted

Each time I've been to Austria (twice to Innsbruck) I've flown to Munich and taken the train to Innsbruck and one thing that has struck me is the difference between Germany and Austria. For some reason I find Austria far more interesting and feel slightly uncomfortable in Germany. The people in Austria (I haven't been outside Tirol mind) are more animated and charming it seems and the scenery is definitely more spectacular once you get close to the Austrian border. I've never been skiing but have been to Innsbruck in early May when many of the surrounding mountains were still snow-capped, it's quite a sight to be standing in the city in your t-shirt and shorts while looking up at snow!

Posted

Each time I've been to Austria (twice to Innsbruck) I've flown to Munich and taken the train to Innsbruck and one thing that has struck me is the difference between Germany and Austria. For some reason I find Austria far more interesting and feel slightly uncomfortable in Germany. The people in Austria (I haven't been outside Tirol mind) are more animated and charming it seems and the scenery is definitely more spectacular once you get close to the Austrian border. I've never been skiing but have been to Innsbruck in early May when many of the surrounding mountains were still snow-capped, it's quite a sight to be standing in the city in your t-shirt and shorts while looking up at snow!

Hi Scorcher,

Its is a spectacular approach into Innsbruck Airport. Flying along the narrow Inn Valley and surrounded by mighty 7,000 foot mountains to the north and south can be a awesome sight and not for the faint hearted ! Always a relief to land safely at the Capital of the Tirol. Yes, just an amazing city in summer when you can sip drinking beer in hot sunshine in the city cafes and staring up at mighty snow capped peaks.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Hi , Sorry to read about the injury. Hope that was not a ski-ing accident ? Yes, I first made a visit in 1976 and fell in love with the place. Anyway , summer is just as spectacular and wish you well for the future. C

Hi. no not skiing though over the years I had a few spills. Nothing worse than knee ligament damage and a couple of minor concussions though. I haven't written off a future skiing holiday totally though I would have to potter about on the blues and easy reds.I haven't personally skied Wengen (seeing John's post) but both my brothers have made repeat trips there so they must rate the area. I do envy you though having the bottle to make your home over in Austria. Edited by Norrance

Posted

Hi Scorcher,

Its is a spectacular approach into Innsbruck Airport. Flying along the narrow Inn Valley and surrounded by mighty 7,000 foot mountains to the north and south can be a awesome sight and not for the faint hearted ! Always a relief to land safely at the Capital of the Tirol. Yes, just an amazing city in summer when you can sip drinking beer in hot sunshine in the city cafes and staring up at mighty snow capped peaks.

C

Yes I've heard about this, I've heard it's one of the more challenging landings worldwide as well, I've never experienced it myself though! Apparently aborted landings are fairly common at Innsbruck.. Have noticed the planes fly very low over the buildings in some parts of the city.

Posted

I'd love to get to know Austria better. Now that I'm coming close to mastering French, I'm taking German and looking forward to seeing the other end of the Alps one day.

Posted

I do envy anyone with a linguistic ability, my schoolboy French is still just that, and my German even worse.

Posted

I'd love to get to know Austria better. Now that I'm coming close to mastering French, I'm taking German and looking forward to seeing the other end of the Alps one day.

Hi, Hope you can make it. I am sure you will love what Austria has to offer. Most youngster speak English as a second language and only some the older generation  speak little English.

C

Posted

Hi. no not skiing though over the years I had a few spills. Nothing worse than knee ligament damage and a couple of minor concussions though. I haven't written off a future skiing holiday totally though I would have to potter about on the blues and easy reds.I haven't personally skied Wengen (seeing John's post) but both my brothers have made repeat trips there so they must rate the area. I do envy you though having the bottle to make your home over in Austria.

Hi Norrance,

Hope you give it another try again. Its too good  a sport to give up on yet ! We have a group of 70 year plus come out each season and they ski hard and party !

I know JH speaks highly of Wengen and stays at the same hotel year in and out. I only skied once in Switzerland and that was near Verbier and as you would expect with the Swiss resort, it was very enjoyable ski-ing.

Moving over is easy as there is plenty of property to rent or buy. Arranging finance is a relative simple operation with only 3 major bank operators. Normally a deposit of 30% is required followed a a low interest mortgage arrangement. Capital gains is nil after 10 years.. When you get a utility bill in the post, you soon learn to understand the language !

The folk in the village are very traditional with regional cultures maintained, but make all Brits welcome in the pub and shops.

c

Posted

You should get a job with the Austrian tourist office Paul.

If only I was 20 years younger I might be tempted. 20 years ago no one outside the Bern canton was allowed property in Wengen, how times change, any nationality seems to be represented now, with many German and UK folk.

Posted

Hi, Hope you can make it. I am sure you will love what Austria has to offer. Most youngster speak English as a second language and only some the older generation  speak little English. C

Well of course, but when German is used as the daily language I'd feel very uncomfortable resorting to English day-in, day-out, even if Austrians are very happy to practise their English.It makes me feel bad if some of my non-native speaker friends are together and speaking English, just because I'm in the room.(I realise this has absolutely nothing to do with the weather)

Posted

Hello All

Just seen this topic and had to comment on a lovely time in

Austria last Febuary, only went for a week (no skiing just sightseeing)
but the area and experience were marvellous and exceeded my
expectations

I stayed in Innsbruck at the Bierwirt hotel a short bus ride from the city
visited Seefeld an absolute must if your after quaint villagers and also
Igls and up the Hafelekar mountain which was awsome
Also made a little trip over into Germany to Mittenwald which again
was very nice and overall would easily go again

Weather was quite mild but obviously dropped at night

and only had one snow flurry through the week

Will be visiting Chamonix in the French Alps next january

If its half as good as Austria i'll be satisfied Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted

Hello All

Just seen this topic and had to comment on a lovely time in

Austria last Febuary, only went for a week (no skiing just sightseeing)

but the area and experience were marvellous and exceeded my

expectationsI stayed in Innsbruck at the Bierwirt hotel a short bus ride from the city

visited Seefeld an absolute must if your after quaint villagers and also

Igls and up the Hafelekar mountain which was awsome

Also made a little trip over into Germany to Mittenwald which again

was very nice and overall would easily go again

Weather was quite mild but obviously dropped at night[/

and only had one snow flurry through the week

Will be visiting Chamonix in the French Alps next january

If its half as good as Austria i'll be satisfied :drinks::good::db:

I have only been there for skiing but I will guarantee that you will find the scenery around the Chamonix valley about the most spectacular in Europe! Edited by Norrance

Posted

Lovely summers afternoon with warm sunshine, light breeze and cloudless sky. Good view of the Hohe Tauren Range with Gross Glockner  glaciers still covered in a heavy snow mass as can be seen just right of centre. Soon be time for a local brew, Muhr beer !

CWebcam - Zeitraffer.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Have you a weather station carintian?

Looks like temps will be getting well up into the 30s for much of Austria from Monday on.

Posted

Looks like temps will be getting well up into the 30s for much of Austria from Monday on.

Hello,

There are several weather stations around Katschberg and some of the mountain summits. Temperatures in Southern Austria today around 27C at the moment. Forecast to increase to 30C  plus early part of next week after some thunderstorms this weekend. The freezing level is to rise to 4400m on Tuesday.

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I totally agree about the difference between Germany and Austria. I have just been visiting my girlfriend again in Innsbruck, we went to Munich on the train and I found people there more serious and intimidating, but everything did seem very efficient. Even our Macdonalds order was ready before we had even finished paying! 

Yes I've heard about this, I've heard it's one of the more challenging landings worldwide as well, I've never experienced it myself though! Apparently aborted landings are fairly common at Innsbruck.. Have noticed the planes fly very low over the buildings in some parts of the city.

I've flown into Innsbruck three times in the last 8 months and it's always amazing. While there I have seen a large plane have an aborted landing. Each of my flights there have been very smooth.

I'm so in love with Innsbruck now, I'm really going to miss it. Visited my girlfriend three times while she studies there and loved it every time. It helps having her there because she speaks very good German, but most speak good English and most seem very polite and welcoming.

I'm gutted about my luck with storms though, failed to see any while I was there, I left on Saturday afternoon and there was a storm on Saturday night, with more to come this week. To make things worse there was a storm very close to Nottingham on Saturday while I was travelling back!

I love Innsbruck though, I would recommend it to everyone and I can't wait to visit again some day.

Posted

Hello,

There are several weather stations around Katschberg and some of the mountain summits. Temperatures in Southern Austria today around 27C at the moment. Forecast to increase to 30C  plus early part of next week after some thunderstorms this weekend. The freezing level is to rise to 4400m on Tuesday.

C

Good Evening,

Hot sultry evening in Austria. Presently 33c in Salzburg and Klagenfurt at 7pm ! Also nice warm evening in the mountain. Pub time for a cold lager or two !

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Good Evening,

Hot sultry evening in Austria. Presently 33c in Salzburg and Klagenfurt at 7pm ! Also nice warm evening in the mountain. Pub time for a cold lager or two !

C

Now there is a post to make me a real green Eyed Monster!!!! Enjoy!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Good Evening,

C

Another hot afternoon in Austria. 35c just reached in Salzburg. A bit more convective cloud development here at the moment. Maybe a storm this evening? Time for a hike into the shade of the Gontal Valley and get a view of any impending thunderstorms.

C

• Like 1