Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

been absolutely beautiful weather here the last few days, now sadly its coming to an end, more turbulent weather on the horizon from wednesday onwards, could be a bit of flooding around. looking forward to a few autumnal gales.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Pretty heavy rain here all morning, miserable. Ah well looks like we are going to be stuck in a mild often unsettled pattern for the next while. It will be a while yet before i see my first ground frost of the season. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

24.5mm of rain overnight, a little minor flooding about but nothing too bad.

Posted

The teleconnection based composites I've been using this year for forecasting have worked well, they suggest a return to more settled condition for November

Posted Image

Here's what things what's being suggested for December at this stage

Posted Image

Posted

Not great with charts so can you explain the December chart for me. High in the Atlantic, high over Russia and squeezing cold air down from the Arctic?

They're the upper level height anomalies, which can be useful for picking out the general pattern, such as the location of troughs and ridges with the jet stream.

In that December chart, the suggestion would be for the jet stream to ridge towards Greenland, then turn south just to our west, leaving a large trough over western Europe. This would encourage more northerly winds across the British Isles, with a tendency for high pressure to form to our west and low pressure to the east. With the trough/low pressure nearby, we'd likely get a good amount of precip, despite the increase in northerly winds.

Overall, December is looking average/cool and wet. Whether or not it gets cold enough for that extra precip to turn to snow is something we won't know until it's just before it happens. But I think there is good potential.

I'll be posting a full winter forecast next month, and things should be a little more certain then.

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 3

Posted

No worries guys!

Between Oct 1st and today, I've record over 2.3 times the September total rainfall. So quite a switch-around (98.3mm so far, compared to 41.6mm for Sept).

More rain today and even a risk of storms, should help to cross the 100mm mark. With the forecast continuing very unsettled, I'll probably pass the 150mm mark during the next week. Could be wettest month since August 2012 for the south of the country.

Posted

not much to report folks but looks like a change to something cooler from Wednesday onwards. the dreaded model forum hinting at a much cooler outlook for November so heres hopeing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Such a mild night for the time of year  14.7c

Jesus temp wise this is such a stop start autumn.

Posted

Beautiful day, light winds, crisp air and blue skies. A nice break until the storms and rain return tomorrow evening.