Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

The watcher

Posted

post-15021-0-13031600-1383936184_thumb.pSawel mountains forecast. 

Sperrins at 300m. 

Snow covering tomorrow morning? Haven't been able to see the hills lately. 

post-15021-0-57494700-1383936236_thumb.p

Edited by smithyweather

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Rather chilly night tonight,current temp 2.6c under clear skies. Mostly dry today,had one shower during the late afternoon. Max temp 8.4c.

Posted

Down to 2.9c now. It was 3.4c in the last shower we had. It would easily snow to all levels if the temps would drop a bit or at least the dew points anyway because looking at the stations its no higher than 3c in most places.

Not going to venture up to the top of the mountain because I think the dew points are too high despite the fact that its about 1.5c there now. 

Posted

Snow you say?

I say December 24th…. Just to be seasonal!

• Like 1

Posted

Spotted my first snow! Got my binos out and looked over towards Dungiven and yes there is snow on the mountains. The closest one to me with snow is Benbradagh. The snowline looks to be 300m, I will take a few pics when i'm driving down there sure.

Don't be expecting anything spectacular though because its just a dusting.

Edit: its 2c up there now. Was sleeting. Posted Image

Edited by smithyweather
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

Lovely clear morning here. Touch of frost earlier,last nights low 1.4c,current temp 3.6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

typical there is snow up on the hills on the north coast when i'm down in bangor visiting the parents for the weekend. suppose there will be plenty of chances through the winter.

Posted

typical there is snow up on the hills on the north coast when i'm down in bangor visiting the parents for the weekend. suppose there will be plenty of chances through the winter.

not missing much. Nice to see it actually lasted all day surprisingly.

Posted

can you recommend any where good to go out for a walk in the snow when the snow does arrive in the sperrins. preferably easily accessible by car and or mountainbike. 

Posted

i have a set of good winter tyres on the car i've driven past stuck 4x4s in my wee fiesta in the snow which is great fun lol. i'll have to have a poke around online to find a few places in the north sperrins.

that's a beautiful picture

edit i normally head into the mournes if i want to see the snow but that's a bit far away now lol

Edited by gary1365

Posted

can you recommend any where good to go out for a walk in the snow when the snow does arrive in the sperrins. preferably easily accessible by car and or mountainbike.

Well Binevenagh is good and it does get loads of snow but not as much. I think that theres a few places down near Dungiven but i'm not sure. Don't go down there often at all. Maybe down near sawel mountain lol?You could even try the antrim hill up round knocklayde and trostan. You'd get more snow over in the sperrins though. You have made a good decision moving up here because we would get the most snow in NI most cases. Like the mountain is never done closing. Edited by smithyweather

Posted

aye was looking at the binevenagh walk don't think it would be a good idea to walk to far up it in the snow though. i'm sure i'll figure it out at the time

Posted

Oh aye its dangerous, the cliffs are woeful. You don't even to hike, you can drive up (inaccessible in snowy weater though) and get in that way through the altikeragh road.

But yea you decide when you are going which is best.

Edited by smithyweather

Posted

tbh I'll probably just drive up that direction and see where I end up.

Posted

thanks for the pic, smithyweather. had sleet on the car windscreen sat morn so was thinkin somewhere had snow.