Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

A very interesting set up, especially for next week, although it looks largely dry across much of Ireland during the middle of the week (away from the north and west coasts). Its looking decidedly chilly in many areas by night, down to about -5C in my part of the world! :DAlso, to any stargazers among you, Comet Ison will become easily visible in the night sky over the coming week, peaking around the 28th (reaching negative magnitude and possibly as bright as Venus). There'll be plenty of clear skies across the country next week, so there's ample opportunity for those of you who want to get a good look. :)

Looking good alright. But I won't believe it until 3/4 days before. Then we need to watch longevity, and even that is starting to look a bit more solid now. We got nowt from last winter here on the east coast, but if the NWP were to come off largely, I reckon even our pal Snowstorm445 in Cork would see some settling white stuff!!!

I live in hope. :D
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

we may join our thread to the little ice age one .. !!!!!!!!!  

Holy baloneyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted

we may join our thread to the little ice age one .. !!!!!!!!!  

Your right be cause! These are the charts dreams are made of!! I know its the control run but the past few days have just been upgrade after upgrade after upgrade!! 

• Like 1

Posted

I know but the seas really mild and its been so mild recently. Find it hard to believe the 2c that is predicted for tuesday nevermind 0c.

But I suppose in 2010 it was the same, quick transition.

Edited by smithyweather

Posted

Think the only way we'd get an ice day is if we have a few inches of dry snow on the ground and if we have showers all day.

November and Autumn 2010 started very mild. I'm not saying that we will get the same again this year but the building blocks are certainly there! We live in hope lad.

Oh aye it is. I have an eery feeling, the length of this coldsnap keeps upgrading. Think it was 1 day the otherday now its 4 days. Edited by smithyweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

i'm trying not to get excited until saturday or sunday when there will be better accuracy from the models but it's very hard not to get excited looking at those charts. 

Posted

One word of advice Smithy and i know you are very eager and wanting snow but don't look into things to much as your head will be fried come Spring! I haven't left this computer all day so its time for bed and i hope to wake up to much of the same in the morning.

PS. Stick your postcode into Metcheck for some eye candy for the rest of the month. It will change later today again but very nice to see!! Posted Image

Posted

One word of advice Smithy and i know you are very eager and wanting snow but don't look into things to much as your head will be fried come Spring! I haven't left this computer all day so its time for bed and i hope to wake up to much of the same in the morning.

PS. Stick your postcode into Metcheck for some eye candy for the rest of the month. It will change later today again but very nice to see!! Posted Image

Gary Portstewart on Metcheck is actually showing more snow than Coleraine next week. Lol

Posted

aye it will be. my housemates will be complaining about the cold even more. they have to cheek to complain about it now. i can sit in the living room in a t-shirt comfortably and they're sitting there in hoodies complaining it's cold they don't know what cold is lol. or maybe i'm just like my dad and don't like putting the heating on lol

• Like 1

Posted

Gary Portstewart on Metcheck is actually showing more snow than Coleraine next week. Lol

that's good to know i'm right on the coleraine side of portstewart i'm only a 2 mile or so drive from the uni

Posted

Your only about 10 miles from me then.

Tbh you might see more snow but it won't lie. Even in 2010 there was only a wee bit up there. We are all wasting our time talking about this now, like you say we gotta wait to Sunday.

Edited by smithyweather

Posted

i'm surprised in bangor we had a foot of snow in 2010 and where i was in bangor we get nearly nothing normally

edit this is the only pic i can find from 2010 we got more snow after that was taken but i can't find them. was annoying digging that motor out

Posted Image

Edited by gary1365

Posted

On track. However keep in mind the fetch of cold air - it's interrupted. We really need cold air to dig down in to Scanadinavia prior to the northeasterly flow. Don't look at 850's yet - it's too far out. I'd be reasonably confident of snow at this stage for some - hopefully many. It depends on the fetch of cold air. 

Synoptics are perfect.

Edited by The Eagle

Posted

I was just about to say. Them ones are doing my head in, they are awful. Think i'm gonna have to put a few of them on ignore now, I try and go on to get an image of each run but its so hard when none of them actually give a true representation of what is happening! For example, Some of them are saying a short cold snap with sleet at best when the met office have snow down for me!

Edited by smithyweather

Posted

ECM is a let down but other models on track. Unlike 2010 the time of year is really not great for what is coming. There is no really cold pool to tap right now to the north east.

Posted

You have to remember FJ/Smithy that there is a lot of IMBY south east englanders and if it doesn't do it for them then its no good for anyone!!

Best to go in just once a day or so, preferable at the end of the day!!!!Posted Image

Yea think I might just stick to the Northern Irand thread from now on. As I have said I try and get a good insight but it is so biased that its unbelieveable. People go on and on about Gibby but I don't think he is accurate.

ECM is a let down but other models on track. Unlike 2010 the time of year is really not great for what is coming. There is no really cold pool to tap right now to the north east.

-7c uppers a let down! :o Edited by smithyweather