Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion - Autumn 2013

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Today has been pretty tasty, so far seen reports of 2 funnel clouds (one of these probably touching down) and has been 100's of strikes and more to come.

Still not had an overhead thunderstorm but have been hearing rumbles all day.

Posted

I haven't had any good storms yet here in Belfast. Might take a drive up to Antrim and Ballymena direction later to see family

Any chance of any big storms heading that way? I really wanna see something.

Posted

Been lots of thunder around me today but nothing overhead. Just a short drop of rain at lunch time. Some very lively storms around. Please can I have a direct hit Thor?

Posted

I believe Bangor has just got a direct hit from a thunderstorm - so the Mrs tells me and my Dad rang as well to let me know! Nothing here in Belfast City centre :(

Posted

I believe Bangor has just got a direct hit from a thunderstorm - so the Mrs tells me and my Dad rang as well to let me know! Nothing here in Belfast City centre Posted Image

I'm in Belfast too, just inner North area - nothing either :( 

I seemed to have dodged all these thunderstorms - haven't seen any lightening or heard any thunder this whole time :( 

Posted

I'm in Belfast too, just inner North area - nothing either Posted Image

I seemed to have dodged all these thunderstorms - haven't seen any lightening or heard any thunder this whole time Posted Image

The rainfall radar looks interesting for something in the next hour or so - might break up before it gets here but fingers crossed!

Posted

Couple of rumbles here - a really big one there a wee minute ago. Hope this is the start of a nice big thunderstorm :D 

Posted

I believe Bangor has just got a direct hit from a thunderstorm - so the Mrs tells me and my Dad rang as well to let me know! Nothing here in Belfast City centre Posted Image

Yep, and I was in Ards working. Radar still has some showers moving across towards us and Belfast, be in our vicinity shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snooow

Dang it! I slept through it lol, well its super heavy rainfall right now so maybe we will get some more storms? :D 

Posted

More thunder today, my 2nd overhead storm after yesterdays first since December 2010. That's 4 days of thunder this week and probably 6 or 7 storms passed and around 60+ thunder claps.

Posted

More thunder today, my 2nd overhead storm after yesterdays first since December 2010. That's 4 days of thunder this week and probably 6 or 7 storms passed and around 60+ thunder claps.

I can't believe I missed today's storm in Bangor! Damn working in Belfast!! The Mrs tells me the rain was unbelievable with a few rumbles of thunder - the heaviness of the rain was the main feature she said. My weather station recorded a rainfall rate of 144mm/hr !

Posted

Not to mention the funnel cloud that formed! Excuse the bad photo, it was taken on my phone while dodging the heavy rain. You can see what looks like a long thin cloud in the background, that was actually rotating a quite a rate. Don't think it actually touched down though.

Edit:

Anybody know how to rotate the picture the right way up on an iPhone?

post-11447-0-30519800-1375226376_thumb.j

Edited by puddle jumper
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow

The last week has been pretty epic for convective activity in Ireland. Had a few decent storms myself, Sunday being the best. Had a pretty active storm pass over head preceded by huge convective rain drops, I didn't see anything other than sheet lightning but had loud rumbles almost every minute. I then went to the top of Slieve na Cailleach (the local hill, highest in Meath I think) after the cell passed and the view was amazing. The cell was huge and I could hear almost constant rumbling the whole time I was there. Again didn't see any lightning through the dark rain curtain.

Also Monday was pretty amazing for just sheer sky-scape, I thing I just heard one or two distant rumbles as electrical activity was kicking to my east but the clouds and  anvils more than made up for the lack of explosions.  

Hopefully lots more to come and especially for the few who have missed out to date. Happy storm hunting folks, be safe Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow

I've never embedded a video before so hope this works. Also hope it's ok to post this here.

Well Put together video animation of sferic activity over the past 7 days courtesy of Irish Weather Online (Facebook)  

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MSh5BjLChuw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Didn't work out as planned but definitely worth a click Posted Image

Edited by Mixer 85
  • Like 1

Posted

Not to mention the funnel cloud that formed! Excuse the bad photo, it was taken on my phone while dodging the heavy rain. You can see what looks like a long thin cloud in the background, that was actually rotating a quite a rate. Don't think it actually touched down though.Edit:Anybody know how to rotate the picture the right way up on an iPhone?

I thought there might have been something on that first band that ran through as the back edge swung past. The movement of it was very suspicious and I said to a few folk about it. I was working in Ards but the movement in the cloud was amazing.

Rotated for you here.

post-7838-0-94502400-1375254763_thumb.jp

Edited by The watcher

Posted

Just seen an update on Northern Ireland Weathers Facebook page about concern for some severe thunderstorms, with some outlets issuing tornado warnings.

They didn't say where abouts. I'm assuming it's down south Ireland coming in off the Atlantic. Anyone shed any light?

Posted

Bottom half of Ireland is the zone, risk of tornadoes, so hopefully we'll get some pics and vids later from the crew down there.

• Like 1

Posted

Reports of at least 2 tornadoes in Ireland today. A waterspout off Galway bay and a Tornado in Shannon.

I'm sure someone will have more details later.