Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tragic Breaking News!

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

RIP Tim and Paul Samaras and Carl Young, my condolences go to your friends and family.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Words fail me and it didnt matter how experienced you were the storm, the road network and advice given by local radio/TV stations meant that we were not masters of our own destiny. Paul made a number of decisions which kept us just south of the tornado however it took all of our experience to navigate away from this monster storm. 

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104525091581377438622.0004646329629eb4ca691

The main routes south were gridlocked and all the other roads ended at the river.

I am so sad at the lost of one of this team and last night heard a seasoned chaser cry when he heard this news.

Tom

Edited by pottyprof
making the link work...
  • Like 3

Posted

Very Sad news has emerged that Tim Samaras, Paul Samaras and Carl Young were all killed in the El Reno Oklahoma Tornado on Friday night. All of these were vertern chasers Tim (30 Years) Both tim and Carl always made of point of talking to me and were interest in UK tornadoes.

I am too stunned for words to post any more.

Attached is an image from 2006 with tim showing me his ground braking tornado probes.

post-9322-0-57331100-1370187668_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Very very sad and shocked to hear about this. RIP to all three of them, and condolences go out to the family. It just goes to show that even the people who know what they are doing can get caught off guard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Really sad to hear... remember seeing him on Stormchasers. Blog here with screengrab of chasers positioning themselves to spell out his initials which I thought was touching.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2423

Posted

Tim was a leading figure in tornado research, his work being featured in many publications and on the Discovery Channel. I remember several instances when Tim and his team stopped to help victims of tornados in the field.

My thoughts go to Tim's family, friends and the many storm chasers who had the pleasure of meeting him.

RIP.

Posted

I'm stunned.  My sympathies to the families of Tim and Paul Samaras and Carl Young.  I think that being researchers in the science behind tornadoes and the storms that drive them makes this kind of loss a very real possibility.  It is now, unfortunately, a very real reality.  I've followed Tim's work for a few years and I'm sure this research he did will save countless lives in the future.  Very sad news though.

• Like 2

Posted

terrible news for the family and friends.

risks are always there and it's the risk they chose.

God bless them and their families.

• Like 1

Posted

Only a matter of time before the storm-chase tourists get caught like this.

Seems to me there rather too much hazard involved in tearing about to vantage points to photo-video these storms.They are just too unpredictable to do this in complete safety and competitive tour guides have too much incentive to take risks.Sooner or later there'll probably be a multi-vehicle smash involving competing groups.

• Like 1

Absolutely devastating news breaking over here about the deaths of 3 veteran chasers involved in the El Reno EF3 Tornado.

It seems the source is very credible and the news is that Tim Samaras, His Son and Carl Young have lost their lives when their vehicle was hit when the tornado was nearly 2 miles wide.

I am absolutely devastated as have met Tim and Carl numerous times out here, and it seems they had no chance to outrun the tornado as it turned 90 degrees to the North back towards El Reno

RIP Brothers in the Field

Paul S

Very sad news in itself

but more especially for friends and family.

• Like 1

Posted

Only a matter of time before the storm-chase tourists get caught like this.

Seems to me there rather too much hazard involved in tearing about to vantage points to photo-video these storms.They are just too unpredictable to do this in complete safety and competitive tour guides have too much incentive to take risks.Sooner or later there'll probably be a multi-vehicle smash involving competing groups.

Tim and his team should not be confused with the Yahoos. The debate about the increasing recklessness of chasers has been coming for a while, but this tragic incident should not be perceived as one involving weather tourists or those who choose to take a risk too far for that ultimate video of photo. Yes they were undoubtedly in the field on Friday evening, and were as caught out as all of us by the deviant jog North of the main core, but Tim and his team were not risk takers.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Can anyone give a rational explanation as to why the El Reno tornado turned northerly for a while? I have seen the track that Stu put up on the other thread and wondered can a change in a tornado's path be predicted and are there scenarios when this is more likely to occur? Sadly, I was out until late on Fri night and didn't note all the wind vectors that were driving the OK supercells. I do remember the El Reno supercell being at the end of a multicentered supercell system that stretched from east to west with numerous rotations that were generally heading in an ESE direction. Was there a split in the tail end El Reno supercell?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

Tragic Loss

Watched them on Storm Chasers and They were always safety first

RIP Guys

Posted

Very sad news.

I always enjoyed watching them on Storm Chasers. There can be no doubt they made a great contribution to the hobby and the science.

There are some nice tributes on www.stormtrack.org to add to all of the above.

RIP.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The livelier the better!

Desperately sad news - Tim and his team were so dedicated and passionate about what they were striving to achieve. They made a massive contribution to weather science and undoubtedly saved many lives along the way - their extensive expertise will be hugely missed. Thoughts and prayers are with their friends and family, and to the storm chase community who has lost a true Great. RIP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

What a sad day for the world of storm chasing. These guys had so much passion for their subject and continually pushed forward the frontiers of meteorology, trying to understand in ever increasing detail how these storms develop and thereby improve warnings for the public. My thoughts go out to their family and friends, and those that chased alongside them - a wealth of knowledge and experience has been lost. RIP

• Like 2

Posted

Just found out the news whilst logging in to NW this evening, tragic for all involved especially so as it seems like only yesterday the StormChasers series was first shown on sky. Raising a pint in tribute.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

such a sad loss, a couple of tribute videos here which I thought might help people come to terms with the tragedy and remember these guys for all the right reasons like the valuable information they gathered and the many lives they no doubt have saved in the past..... 

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/02/us/midwest-weather/index.html?hpt=us_c1

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

So So bad. :(

Only logged in today to say RIP..

Terrible news! Thoughts to all their families.

Can only hope that any data they have got over the years has saved lives!!! These guys are heroes for areas like this in the USA

Love from Britain!

RIP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Sad news indeed!I think those Oklahoma tornados caught a fair few people out including The Weather Channels: Tornado Hunt team.The same El Reno tornado hit Mike Bettes car and flipped them totally destroying it luckily they are all ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMK5-rfhPFg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzDucFnqlN4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Very sad news indeed, sympathies go out to their families and friends. Watched both the Moore and this latest destructive tornado on the live stream and it's been a very sobering experience. I hope the contribution the team made to tornado science at least is some consolation. RIP.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Very sad news indeed, sympathies go out to their families and friends. Watched both the Moore and this latest destructive tornado on the live stream and it's been a very sobering experience. I hope the contribution the team made to tornado science at least is some consolation. RIP.

I totally agree about it being a sobering experience, I watched both tornadoes live on chasertv while listening to news channel 4, hopefully any other tornadoes this season will pass safely over open fields with no death or destruction.