Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Advice wanted from past/present tour guests

Paul Churchley

Posted

OK... this is the thing... I guess that my Storm Watching holiday will be a one-off. May be it won't be but I suspect that it will given my circumstances. There may be somethings that aren't so obvious to bring and and so now that you have done it... in hindsight... what might I take with me that I might not think off?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Hi Paul... 

I found the following useful

a 4 way multiplug adaptor is a must - most of the hotel rooms only have one socket

a waterproof kagoul 

Suncream (Although I'd pick it up in Walmart, it's LOADS cheaper than here) - you get cooked surprisingly quickly even on the gas station stops..

Ditto Bug spray, UK stuff doesn't seem to have the same effect, and is also cheaper there

Bounce Tumble dryer sheets - we all threw them in our bags to keep clothes smelling a bit fresher, although quite a lot of hotels had laundry rooms if you were so inclined to use them.

A warm Hoodie

Bottle opener if you're a beer man

Tea bags if you are a tetley drinker, most places it's just coffee....

Tripod

iPod with a suitably banging soundtrack for the car.

Will add as I think of things....

Posted

ooh! Earplugs. Especially if you are sharing with a Snorer. ;)

Posted

Thanks for that Jo. Great suggestions.

I wouldn't have thought that US bug spray would work better than UK. I suppose they are US bugs!!!

The Bounce sheets suggestion is simply genius clapping.gif ! Can't say I am a washing kinda guy when on holiday but it has been known.

ta again

Posted

It's also bags cheaper, I wish I'd have not bothered packing my toiletries, everything is at least a third cheaper. The anti bite soothing stuff is also worth picking up, and some Zantac, only because the food can be little rich (deep fried and slathered in cheese) while your digestion acclimatises!

Posted

Does Kathryn snore Jo?

What else?

Make sure you have at least one pair of long trousers for warmth (It can get chilly in the evenings) and a warm (If nothing else for the trip home!!).

The vehicles have Wi-Fi and all the motels have internet (free) so you can use your smart phone/tablet or laptop though bandwith in the car is limited and the connectivity is not always great.

Posted

Nope, it's Ian that Snored and Kept Gav awake! I apparently kept talking in my sleep tho (no real surprises there....)

Posted

Just pack light - all you really need is a couple of pairs of trousers and a few tee shirts - throw in a shell rain jacket and you are good to go.

Edited by Stu Robinson

Posted

Antihistamine tablets are useful, both for unexpected hayfever (different pollens out there) and also for bug bites. I dished mine out to quite a few people. Maybe a multi vit tablet too, you won't see much veg for 2 weeks!!!

Think Jo covered most other stuff though, and like stu said pack light, no smart clothes needed.

Oh and a hat! For when the rooms don't have hairdryers. #girlsproblems ;)

Posted

Thanks guys and gals.

I have a soft holdall and no smart stuff... tbh, smart stuff is not really me anyway.

I am getting quite excited now. I have been to the USA quite a lot... lived and worked in New York, New Jersey and Florida... spent 6 weeks driving across the USA, been to Disney loads of times... yet this is the trip I have always wanted to do. I just hope I get some good stuff to see. Obviously a tornado or two would be great (not an EF5 please!) but just to see some supercells up close and to get some pics would be fantastic.

Can't wait.

Posted

Bring a warm hoody! Them outflow dominant storms can sure put the chills up ya! I didn't bring one and regretted it badly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

Hi Paul... 

I found the following useful

a 4 way multiplug adaptor is a must - most of the hotel rooms only have one socket

a waterproof kagoul 

Suncream (Although I'd pick it up in Walmart, it's LOADS cheaper than here) - you get cooked surprisingly quickly even on the gas station stops..

Ditto Bug spray, UK stuff doesn't seem to have the same effect, and is also cheaper there

Bounce Tumble dryer sheets - we all threw them in our bags to keep clothes smelling a bit fresher, although quite a lot of hotels had laundry rooms if you were so inclined to use them.

A warm Hoodie

Bottle opener if you're a beer man

Tea bags if you are a tetley drinker, most places it's just coffee....

Tripod

iPod with a suitably banging soundtrack for the car.

Will add as I think of things....

Can I just add as a coffee drinker...bring coffee!!! US coffee never seems to hit the spot and we won't have time for refills...cray.gif

Posted

Can I just add as a coffee drinker...bring coffee!!! US coffee never seems to hit the spot and we won't have time for refills...cray.gif

Do you mean take a jar of instant for when in the hotels or do you mean for on the road?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

Do you mean take a jar of instant for when in the hotels or do you mean for on the road?

I would bring a jar of instant for the hotels. There is gas station coffee for the road which most of the time is ok. Depends when you normally drink it