Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Slight dusting on cards almost stopped now but some actual snow blimey. Soon turned to sleet before a little snow around 4 which alternated between sleet and snow.

Posted

We're still waiting for the first sleet or snow of the winter here as all we had was light rain earlier.

Its looking like the first completely snowless December/January combo here since 1988/89 and even that year had lying snow in November so its the worst ever. Add to that only 4 air frosts and only one maxima below 5C and its been a totally dire winter so far.

• Like 2

Posted

Turned to rain now as temps rise. Just a few hours of winter how pathetic.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Currently 1C but forecast to rain.

First snowless Dec-Jan combo since at least the winter of 1998, probably further.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

We have had the worst rainfall we have ever experienced here.

Got some neighbouring properties flooded, believe some of the main roads are partially flooded and our dam (small dam only 2 meters high 5 meters wide) is in danger of failing as the water is topping it by over a cm across the whole length. We have had some bad rainfalls before but this one has been the worst by a notable margin.

At least looking at the radar it should end in about an hour, so will give us a bit of respite before the next band hits.

Posted

We have had the worst rainfall we have ever experienced here.

Got some neighbouring properties flooded, believe some of the main roads are partially flooded and our dam (small dam only 2 meters high 5 meters wide) is in danger of failing as the water is topping it by over a cm across the whole length. We have had some bad rainfalls before but this one has been the worst by a notable margin.

At least looking at the radar it should end in about an hour, so will give us a bit of respite before the next band hits.

A mere drip in the Ocean today. Unless you've had some freak local weather you'll have had a lot worst in the past. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Ho hum.. wind and rain again today then. Such a mild winter..mild and soggy. I was talking with my husband yesterday, I can remember a few winters that were so cold my morning task was defrosting the boiler outlet pipe, -15 I think we reached that year. At least I got to sit amd watch some snow falling..even if it was only a few hours

Posted

Well was supposed to be windy here today but hasn't happened. Now having a light shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Nasty here The Pit. Branches down and our green bin has gone off on an adventure..

Posted

Nasty here The Pit. Branches down and our green bin has gone off on an adventure..

Not even rocking our bin seen high gust of 85 mph so some places seeing action.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Today is Candlemas Day and folklore suggests "if its fair and bright winter will have another fight". For the uninitiated Candlemas Day is the Christian commemoration of the presentation of Jesus in the Temple at Jerusalem and the purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary as ordained in the Jewish Law (Torah) by Yahweh the God of Israel in Leviticus 12.

It is known in the States as Groundhog Day and Punxsutawney Phil has indeed popped out of his burrow this Sunday morning, predicting six more weeks of Winter - ie. rain and gales!

http://www.usatoday....y-phil/5101379/

Today we are halfway between the Winter Solstice and the Vernal Equinox ie. Midwinter. It also coincides with Imbolic the ancient Pagan Festival.

If Candlemas Day be fair and bright
Winter will have another fight.
If Candlemas Day brings cloud and rain,
Winter won't come again.

If Candlemas Day be dry and fair,
The half o the winter's to come and mair;
If Candlemas Day be wet and foul,
The half o the winter's gane at Yule.

Posted

Doesn't look at bad week for Sunny Sheffield will miss the wind on Wednesday due to being sheltered from the South east next Saturday another question.

Posted

Yesterday was almost like spring! I sat outside with the sun shining on my face, around four p.m my weather station was registering 6º. There are roses budding to bloom in the garden..crazy!

Posted

Steve M reckons it may snow on the high ground. Just had a look at John Holmes guide and the chances look slim to none. Thats before the temps started rising. Still dry here though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Steve M reckons it may snow on the high ground. Just had a look at John Holmes guide and the chances look slim to none. Thats before the temps started rising. Still dry here though.

Yes it is amazing just how snowless this winter has been so far, with my only record of falling snow this 'winter' being in November last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if we at least saw some snow falling early next week, but I suspect any settling snow will be restricted to the Pennines, but even that is probably better than what we have had on offer this winter so far.

I must admit having moved up to Yorkshire from 'darn sarf' in Summer 2010, just a mere six months before the notorious November / December 2010 streamer event, I thought every winter would be the same!

It turns out that even in Yorkshire where the folk are far more hardy than us Southern Softies, the winters can be just as rubbish snow wise, although I suspect the complete lack of snow this winter must be fairly unprecedented for Yorkshire?

Still - there are still three weeks of official winter left and we don't need reminding of how March can deliver if last year is anything to go by so I am not giving up hope on Winter 2013/2014 just yet *performs snow dance*  Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I remember last march..it was the 25th (my birthday) Woke up to an immense pile of snow and six foot drifts, it was the best present ever!

• Like 1

Posted

A breezy night slighlty unexpected windiest evening since December nothing outstanding max gust 54 mph. Raining nicely as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

yeah its pretty wild out there atm, lashing rain Posted Image

Its nice to listen to now that im indoors lol!

Next week is looking promising to at least see falling snow isnt it?? Im reading so on the model thread anyway. LETS HOPE SO!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Howling round the chimney and the rain is bouncing off the windows on the southern side of the house. Not sure on wind speed because I'm all cosy upstairs listening to it all! I ain't shifting this evening...

• Like 1

Posted

54 mph stayed the Max value but it blew nicely most of the night. Expected higher by the noise it was making but nope. All eyes next Saturday. Just needing a shift further north though as we're on the edge of matters.

Posted

Well some of you may have noticed on the forecast that Snow has been mentioned tonight over the high ground. Looking at Johns Holmes guide and it may be a case of adding a few metres to the high ground. Chances are very slim to none 99% none I would say away from high ground. Of course I maybe reading it wrong so happily stand corrected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

..........as we're on the edge of matters.

Aye, and I for one hope it stays that way !