Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just had a nice shower here, turned everything white. Hope the next lot comes in before it melts with the ground been wet.

Anyone know a link for a good fre radar please ?

Raintoday or meteoradar.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Aye its been pretty shocking this side of the Pennine's so far this winter. The lack of real convective Easterlies over the last few years has been very apparent.

I decided to drive up to the Dales today to get my snowfix, these pics are at Greenhow Hill this afternoon around 400m.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pateley always a favourite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Getting constant hail here at 155m (500ft) A start I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Posted Image

Shout out to MetO for the image

That shield of cloud, already developing without the warmth of the Irish Sea, does seem to look destined for here as the low drags it back around itself? I wonder what it is carrying? We see troughs develop so quickly and with a volatile set up like this maybe even lower regions could cop for some winteriness if the precip draws down the cold from aloft? What D'ya reckon? about 4 hrs or so out from us?

EDIT: And very well spotted Bryan629!!!

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy

It's full on snowing here! it's settling as well. What a nice surprise.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Pateley always a favourite.

Pateley was a sleet fest, up the hill however...... :D 

I was in Kettlewell earlier in the day and decided to venture onto Cam Gill Road which in parts has an elevation of over 500m. Safe to say if I hadnt of turned around I would of still been up there now!

Posted

Posted Image

Shout out to MetO for the image

That shield of cloud, already developing without the warmth of the Irish Sea, does seem to look destined for here as the low drags it back around itself? I wonder what it is carrying? We see troughs develop so quickly and with a volatile set up like this maybe even lower regions could cop for some winteriness if the precip draws down the cold from aloft? What D'ya reckon? about 4 hrs or so out from us?

EDIT: And very well spotted Bryan629!!!

Showers currently not making it over the Pennines so this could be crucial if I'm going to see anything wintry tonight.

Posted

J lang i must be up the hill from you. Everything is melting slowly now it is too wet and a tad too mild, not really doing much out atm. Drizzling even.

I'm in between Sowerby and soyland up on a hill somewhere. Approx 250m.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Can someone tell me why BBC website shows 2C for Sheffield on Thursday with a few snow flurries but Look North just showed 5c!!!

It had better not be 5, i was looking forward to it at least feeling like winter for a few days at the end of this week lol

BBC spoil sports Posted Image

Posted

Just to enlighten us a bit this is the latest from meto for this week

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Tuesday, unsettled with showers, some heavy and prolonged, wintry on hills. Wednesday and Thursday, cold with showers turning increasingly to sleet or snow as a strong easterly wind sets in.

People on the model forum are looking too far ahead. This week could be interesting indeed :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Woke up to a snow shower :D

Posted

well i must admit, that my hunch about this being my first snowless winter is looking more and more likely, oh well time to look forward to winter 2014/15, surely it cant be any worse than this one, lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy

Woke up to noting but rain and a downgrade on the Met Office weather site this morning.

You do the get feeling that if we are to see any proper snow things need to get a move on. 

Posted

Woke up to noting but rain and a downgrade on the Met Office weather site this morning.

You do the get feeling that if we are to see any proper snow things need to get a move on. 

Dont worry mate, signs are that next winter could get off to a cold start Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

There's a chance of showers on Thursday but here in Yorkshire our best chance is by far the frontal assault on Friday. It will be somewhat marginal but being east of the Pennines we stand a reasonable chance of tipping the balance.

The main thing to watch for is the triple point, we need that south of us for the front to occlude otherwise its snow to rain at best.

Not sure about the rest of you but here in Leeds we do have a knack for marginal events so i'm optimistic.

This is roughly the triple point..

Posted Image

It would also help a lot if we had SE winds ahead of the front as per the raw UKMO..

Posted Image

Met Office does not have the SE undercut but does occlude the front..

Posted Image

Posted

Well our coverage of snow was short lived, as soon as the sun rose and sent the temps a few degrees higher it turned to rain. I'm guessing that it's going to be a mainly snowless winter this year, hopefully Fridays will deliver us a bit of the white stuff..fingers crossed

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Some sleet this morning so still no snow this winter. Looked at Fridays as this is looking on dodgy ground as milder air pushes in fairly quickly and with dew points being above freezing as the rain arrives. So very marginal and I expect any snow to be confined to the peak district again. The same thing killed this mornings snow threat. Low dew points moving away in front of the front.

The sucky winter continues.

Posted

Yesterday's national forcast for today, showed a band of rain sweeping accross from the west to hit us by mid morning, and then lasting till about 5pm.

It never happened, and it has been a lovely afternoon here.

That's 2 days that has happened, as again, the national forcast said more or less the same would happen on Friday, but it didn't

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

According to the BBC weather no snow expected at all for this area....Posted Image

Posted

Met office replaced the snow symbol for my area with a sleet one for friday :( this winter sucks..