Local
Radar
Snow?

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recorded a gust of 37mph earlier..suspect it was probably higher. There's a row of large trees forming a mini wind beak ..wish they would blow over!

• Like 1

Recorded a gust of 37mph earlier..suspect it was probably higher. There's a row of large trees forming a mini wind beak ..wish they would blow over!

(Did they become windblown HP?,We had to stop (tree)work Friday due to gusts and unsafe poplars we were attempting to fell in a tight spot?)Drab and damp but radar indicates heavier pulses over EMids heading NW?i just hope this week does not turn out to be our best shot at any stormy conditions come the next few weeks before solar maxima etc.?

Ian, I spotted it too, that is a serious wodge of precip. It might even start raining men :)

Any seferics in there? Anyone? I'm at work and can't check

Hi Richie V!

No Sferics associated with it (first thoughts also) but it appears embedded in the arc of cloud wrapped around the fading low. I just can't figure why so active?

If it does track with the cloud (Jet steering???) then maybe i was a tad hasty as only S. Yorks look in the firing line(??) but I certainly didn't expect to see 'downpour' colours from the 'showers' we were expecting???

I'm gonna keep a weather eye for a couple of hours......things have been known to be 'outside the envelope', weather-wise, over the past few years and this claggy night mixed with some intense rainfall might bring a few ..... let's call them.... 'surprises'?

EDIT: The funnel I saw repeatedly drop over Wakefield last year was also not on the cards but the dark, dank, weather was similar? Cold Arctic plunges and Tropical surges give the folk in tornado alley a queer time so why not here if AGW pushes us toward interactions 'twixt Polar and TM air masses?

Here in the Calder Valley we see plenty of (what the media calls them) 'Mini Tornadoes' and I have a pet theory that these are formed by breaking waves (front squally fronts over the moors) swooping into the Valleys but being stood on end by some of the intercepting valleys that key in at 90 degrees to the main Valley (a rolling wave is dropped until near vertical?)....when I see 'White' on the MetO rainfall radar I always think either 'storm' or 'Squall line'.

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Hammering down here at calder park wakefield. And the rainfall radar colors don't even look that intense at the moment, im back home in darton, barnsley by 10 pm. Should be a challenging 2 junctions of the M1!

Thanks for the info ian.

• Like 1

Well we know the N.S. is a tad chillier than it ought be but is this an air mass that has had some warming and evaporation in it's travels?

The inner continent is heating up and a lot of the 'late snow' is now being 'zapped' so has the airmass been over modified (as opposed to the modelling) by late season ablation?

Though we're losing the 'whites' on MetO radar it still looks a tad damp under that blob?

TBH, looking at the cloud band and it's movement I do think folk to the south of us (inc S. Yorks) are under the hammer from this but I do not recall any warning about this level of precip overnight???

EDIT: I take it we are missing a radar station in the NE North Sea? We appear to have the flanks ofthe wet weather on radar but the central core just keep appearing out of nowhere?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Im still keeping an eye on this system, it seems to be getting larger by the hour. Although the intensity seems to be dying down ever so slightly. By the way its manifesting, it looks as if its going to hit in the early hours, and consume most of the county. Might even go out for my first storm chase haha!

What a beautiful day. Pity buying a party dress with my 8 year old daughter spoilt it. Must have been around Leeds city centre 5 times today....